Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
I'm wondering if anyone has added parking sensors to their CRV? Does the rear-view camera and display provide the same assistance for parking?
the parking sensors are via audible beeps

the rear view camera just shows you dynamic lines, a view & if motion during backing up will peep and alert for cross motion.

The. Admin. Istrator.
I still find it criminal that you guys in the USA do not get all round parking sensors as standard.

I know Honda wants to differentiate and promote Acura too, but its so senseless when we get them as standard across the entire range except the base/entry level model.

Reactions: Mike728

Registered
With a reverse camera equipped car the front parking sensors make more sense. Aftermarket rear ones are a PITA, not communicating with the trailer module and beep when there's a trailer connected.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
I still find it criminal that you guys in the USA do not get all round parking sensors as standard.

I know Honda wants to differentiate and promote Acura too, but its so senseless when we get them as standard across the entire range except the base/entry level model.
If I had them in my CRV.. I would disable them. Reason: they are more annoyance than assistance in my experience driving a friends Audi A4. They are not needed for the rear, and for the front, need is very limited in the US (mostly for tight garage parking, for which there are simple low tech, non annoying, solutions. :)

So.. let me speculate ---> Honda marketing analysis indicates that the additional cost as a factory installed feature is simply not consistent with the popularity or demand in the US market. As such.. it is available as a dealer aftermarket add on for the limited US owners that wish to have the feature installed. One thing Honda does well is marketing survey analysis, and cost efficient manufacturing.. which very often means... don't put a feature in if it is not required by law or a high demand feature in a particular regional market.

Super Moderator
Ok, thank you for your reply! I will add the parking sensors to the car.
If it were me, given the very mixed reports on how well adding sensors work, I would want to test drive and evaluate a CRV with them already installed, BEFORE committing money and time to add them.

Any dealer that offers them as an after market add on, certainly should have a demo for you to test drive/park. :)

In any event.... they would definitely be wasted money having them installed on the rear.. given that the rear camera has clear and easy to use line demarcations over the camera view. Both my Wife and I have a need to know where the rear of the vehicle is, due to how we back out and turn the vehicle to avoid hitting anything on our neighbors property, and the rear camera with demarcation lines works great for this. Front parking sensor... well.. if you feel you need them.. add them.. but in reality I think they are of marginal use in many cases.

But as I always say, your vehicle, your choice. :)

Registered
Brand new 2020 CRV Hybrid EX. Getting older and had parking sensors installed for front warning in tight CA parking situations. Only way to get them was to have them installed after delivery by dealer. After 4 trips to Honda Service, they still aren't working. Screen behind steering wheel gave indications, but console screen doesn't. Driver side rear sensor had to be replaced. It is working now, but still no console operability. Honda Tech has been down all week, so local service department (and me) on hold. Have had many, many years of great Honda service. This has been a surprise and very frustrating.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Poor show.

I dont understand why these arent factory fitted. Bonkers.

Super Moderator
Poor show.

I dont understand why these arent factory fitted. Bonkers.
Business 101

Because ---> Sunk fixed cost .. on every CRV... whether any particular owner appreciates and will use it or not.

THAT is literally money left on the table by Honda.. on a market segment where price pressure is high, so pressure on cost correlates and drives many things off of the "nice to have" list.

Unless market pressure and norms in a selling region dictate that something is in high demand as standard equipment and a lot of the competition is doing it... it would be foolish to just put it in every vehicle.. just to please a minority of owners.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Honda constitutes barely 2% of UK sales and we get them.

Honda has a far bigger footprint in the USA - the cost isnt the issue. Its clear the differentiation for Acura is the prime reason.

Registered
Honda CRV Hybrid EX. Tried to order it from factory with Parking Sensor System. Dealer said it was only available installed by dealer. Did that. Expected it to show display on driver interface (behind steering wheel) AND on Audio Information Touch Screen (as advertised). Been back to Honda Service Department at least once a week since install. It displays and gives warnings on driver interface, but not on Audio Touch Screen as described in manual and as experienced in Hybrid Touring model on lot. Sometimes the little car icon does show up on the Touch Screen in what is called "Split Screen" mode. Sometimes not. Never has it mirrored any warnings as shown on Driver Interface. Just looks like a little car. Sometimes the little car icon disappears. In "Normal Display," there have never been any indicators anywhere on the touch screen. Honda guys can't explain problem. Anyone have a Hybrid with parking sensors? How do they work? Any problems. Thank you. Love our car, but most miles so far have been to Service and back and back again.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Honda CRV Hybrid EX. Tried to order it from factory with Parking Sensor System. Dealer said it was only available installed by dealer. Did that. Expected it to show display on driver interface (behind steering wheel) AND on Audio Information Touch Screen (as advertised). Been back to Honda Service Department at least once a week since install. It displays and gives warnings on driver interface, but not on Audio Touch Screen as described in manual and as experienced in Hybrid Touring model on lot. Sometimes the little car icon does show up on the Touch Screen in what is called "Split Screen" mode. Sometimes not. Never has it mirrored any warnings as shown on Driver Interface. Just looks like a little car. Sometimes the little car icon disappears. In "Normal Display," there have never been any indicators anywhere on the touch screen. Honda guys can't explain problem. Anyone have a Hybrid with parking sensors? How do they work? Any problems. Thank you. Love our car, but most miles so far have been to Service and back and back again.
Any chance you can post some pics of your display(s) when you engage in reverse?

The. Admin. Istrator.
Only thing I can think of is because the sensors arent factory fitted, there must be something "missing".

Still, baffles me to no end that Honda USA dont install them from factory. Cost isnt the issue. As I mentioned before, its the (silly) differentiation need for Acura.

Registered
I have the exact same problem! Have a 2 month old 2020 Touring, had the system installed by a dealer. After having a sensor fall into the bumper and getting it repaired, today the camera display finally showed the overhead car view for the first time, but still no visual alerts as you describe. Have you had any resolution? My nephew is a tech at that same dealer/service shop and they can figure it out either!

The. Admin. Istrator.
Because we are better at parking then those of you from across The Pond? ;)
It helps that spaces in the US are indeed more bigger/generous than ours.....

Ordinarily, I would take what you say as being offensive, but Lord almighty, when I see some of the prangs on cars on this side of the planet, there may well be credence to your statement!! 馃槀

This is why I always park well away from everyone else if I can avoid it. Too many drivers here with zero spatial awareness and even less visual capability!

Reactions: SnakeCharmer

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
It helps that spaces in the US are indeed more bigger/generous than ours.....

Ordinarily, I would take what you say as being offensive, but Lord almighty, when I see some of the prangs on cars on this side of the planet, there may well be credence to your statement!! 馃槀

This is why I always park well away from everyone else if I can avoid it. Too many drivers here with zero spatial awareness and even less visual capability!
Of course, I was just messing with you. I'm sure you saw the winking emoji.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts