Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, after taking my wife's 03 CR-V to the dealership to have all the TSB/recalls addressed; the dealership performed a "free visual inspection" while they had it and noted a few things I was already aware of (and will take care of myself)but noted the; "Valve deactivation solenoid: Gasket and Switch is leaking oil." They expand on the nature of the part and what it does;

"Item Description: The valve deactivation solenoid is used to deactivate the lifters/valves on certain cylinders to help increase fuel economy. Meaning it takes a V-8 and has it run on 4 cylinders or the set amount per the vehicle manufacturer.

Reason: If this is not replaced you could possibly reduce your fuel economy if it gets stuck in the full engine mode. If it gets stuck in the fuel economic mode then you would lose power."

I'm familiar with the aforementioned technology, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I didn't think this was available on the CR-V, plus if it was available, I'd imagine unless you were on perfectly flat land it would be a dog and sound like a diesel and be in full engine mode most of the time.

No mention of part numbers for the solenoid or gasket but lists a $453.18 price tag... I've done some researching and can find no such part by that description or close to it. Is it possibly the VTEC solenoid on the back of the head/block they're referring to?

Sorry for the long-winded post, just wanted to give you the full details...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same thing and the only reason I took it there was to have the recalls done, trust me I won't spend a dime there. I do as much of the work myself that I can, but if its beyond my capability I'll take it to my brother's shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a Honda dealer, so unless they were thoroughly confused (wouldn't put it past them, given my wife's experiences before we were together) I would doubt it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.