Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need some advice.

I have a 2022 Honda CRV that's been at the body shop since January. I was in a small accident (requires replacement of front bumper and a couple other plastic brackets). Insurance is requiring the replacement of the distance sensor, part 36803TNYA02 before releasing it because it's a safety apparatus. I have an extra vehicle (2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ), I've been ok with just waiting patiently. I called every nearby dealership and a number of parts sites, but nobody seems to have the part, and all of them seem to be in the same boat: national backorder.

Well, the snows are coming fast here in Michigan, and my wife is pregnant now, so I really want to have a fully operational, repaired 2022 CRV back, as the AWD system is superior to the part-time 4wd in my XJ, not to mention the CRV is overall a much safer, economical vehicle. And it has ABS, which is also nice.

Does anyone have any ideas for what my options are? I'd rather not ask the insurance total out the vehicle, but every month Honda pushes the ETA back another month for the part arrival. I don't really know what to do at this point.

Thanks! If I'm just SOL, well, I guess I'll get started on the engine swap of my '02 Grand Cherokee
🤷‍♂️.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the dealer given you an ETA on the part? I see they're available on eBay, just in case you want to buy one that was conveniently removed from one of your fellow CR-Vers rigs. :rolleyes:
The Progressive is required a brandy new part. I doubt the existing one is even bad tbh. I wish they would have been ok with a used part, I'd already have it back :(. It's been so long, I barely even remember what my CRV looks like lol.

So I just got of the phone with Honda customer support. Thankfully, they were very nice and understanding.

They asked me which Dealer the body shop ordered the part from and whether it was ordered Critical Back Order. The manager of the body shop is currently out for today, so I will call them back tomorrow and get that info for the Honda case manager.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Must be fun pay for a car you are not allowed to drive. Maybe who ever won't allow it driven could make the payment if there is one. You would think that some place in the country there has been a few of these vehicles that have been totaled and the part or parts you need didn't get damaged. That is the thing I'd do next, most wrecking yards are on a data base to find parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must be fun pay for a car you are not allowed to drive. Maybe who ever won't allow it driven could make the payment if there is one. You would think that some place in the country there has been a few of these vehicles that have been totaled and the part or parts you need didn't get damaged. That is the thing I'd do next, most wrecking yards are on a data base to find parts.
Thankfully, no payments. If I was making payments, I'd have made a much bigger stink over this before 9 months 🙃. I will try to convince Progressive to allow a used replacement part. Maybe I can get escalated to the right manager this time haha!

Will they provide a rental?
No, they only cover 1 month of rental. I doubt they will cover me for the next however many months it will take haha. It's a hilariously unfortunate race between Ford building my 2023 Ranger and Honda getting me a radar. Luckily enough, I have 2 running vehicles, but man it would be nice to have ABS once it starts snowing again.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
No, they only cover 1 month of rental. I doubt they will cover me for the next however many months it will take haha. It's a hilariously unfortunate race between Ford building my 2023 Ranger and Honda getting me a radar. Luckily enough, I have 2 running vehicles, but man it would be nice to have ABS once it starts snowing again.
I wonder what parts your '23 Ranger will be missing. :) I have a '21 Lariat that was missing the engine cover, a couple bed tie downs, rear door handle sensors, color coded tailgate handle, etc... There's a list of parts that have been de-contented on the Ranger forum, if you haven't already seen it.

·
Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,362 Posts
A friend is the manager in the Honda parts dept of a dealership here in CA.

He says that any Honda parts dept can do a search for the part anywhere at other Honda parts depts. He says it shows a few dealerships here in my state that might have the part even though he doubts it due to its backorder status. I have to assume that there is a slight chance at some other parts depts across the country as well. If your local parts dept manager is sharp, he's already done a country wide search.

BTW, my friend shows the part becoming available again in November. That said, there is probably a huge waiting list already. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder what parts your '23 Ranger will be missing. :) I have a '21 Lariat that was missing the engine cover, a couple bed tie downs, rear door handle sensors, color coded tailgate handle, etc... There's a list of parts that have been de-contented on the Ranger forum, if you haven't already seen it.
I ordered the XL 100A (101A was on commodity hold LOL). I believe ford removed the engine cover, the hotspot, and engine start-stop for 2023, since those parts were unavailable. Hopefully the lack of cruise control, ford SYNC, power locks, paint matching bumper, terrain management, ect will prevent my order from being slowed down too much. I don't have much hope for getting it under 6 months TBH.

A friend is the manager in the Honda parts dept of a dealership here in CA.

He says that any Honda parts dept can do a search for the part anywhere at other Honda parts depts. He says it shows a few dealerships here in my state that might have the part even though he doubts it due to its backorder status. I have to assume that there is a slight chance at some other parts depts across the country as well. If your local parts dept manager is sharp, he's already done a country wide search.

BTW, my friend shows the part becoming available again in November. That said, there is probably a huge waiting list already. Good luck to you!
Thanks! I was quoted May in April, August in May, Sept in August, and now that it's Sept, I'm quoted October :cry:. I will call the parts manager tomorrow and push them to search harder :D

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
Thanks! I was quoted May in April, August in May, Sept in August, and now that it's Sept, I'm quoted October :cry:. I will call the parts manager tomorrow and push them to search harder :D
The polite, but squeaky wheel" generally gets attention first. :)

So, I would be polite but repetitive on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to do a status check with both Honda and the body shop. Can't be a real problem, as long as you are cordial and polite.

I can totally understand why your insurance is demanding a new radar array. It is virtually impossible to attest to the safety and reliability of the sensor once there has been a front end impact from collisions. The sensor is right up front, and just under the Honda logo... so it is ripe for impact and thus some form of "tweakage". For your insurance company, if they let it on the road after repair and you are in accident that could be conceivably blamed on a faulty sensor.. guess what... your insurance company is liable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The polite, but squeaky wheel" generally gets attention first. :)

So, I would be polite but repetitive on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to do a status check with both Honda and the body shop. Can't be a real problem, as long as you are cordial and polite.

I can totally understand why your insurance is demanding a new radar array. It is virtually impossible to attest to the safety and reliability of the sensor once there has been a front end impact from collisions. The sensor is right up front, and just under the Honda logo... so it is ripe for impact and thus some form of "tweakage". For your insurance company, if they let it on the road after repair and you are in accident that could be conceivably blamed on a faulty sensor.. guess what... your insurance company is liable.
Thanks, I will do that and keep this thread updated with my experiences. All these AEB systems are going to be hell to get parts for. I wish my Ranger didn't come with it.

·
Registered
2011 EXL & 2015 EX
543 Posts
Hmmm?....maybe you have the wrong insurance?

Perhaps you should go talk to the insurance co. and politely ask them if you need to get a lawyer involved? They will say- no! But, perhaps that may get something moving. Any way you look at it....when ever this is over- you need to change -not only insurance companies- but you need a better policy too- if you are going to PAY $money$ for it. It might as well be worth having.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm?....maybe you have the wrong insurance?

Perhaps you should go talk to the insurance co. and politely ask them if you need to get a lawyer involved? They will say- no! But, perhaps that may get something moving. Any way you look at it....when ever this is over- you need to change -not only insurance companies- but you need a better policy too- if you are going to PAY $money$ for it. It might as well be worth having.
Do you have a company that you've had good experience/rates with? I've only had Progressive, and other than this, never had a bad experience, but I'm not particularly well versed in the insurance shopping world. Going by quotes, progressive has given me around 1/2 the cost of State Farm or Geico here in Michigan (we're no-fault so insurance is crazy expensive), but I'm not opposed to moving the CRV to a difference company. I'm not to worried about my XJ or JK, there isn't much I can't fix on those vehicles in my own shop.

·
Registered
2011 EXL & 2015 EX
543 Posts
I have had State Farm for years. Not saying at all that they are best.

However- unfortunately when purchasing insurance- one should never shop for lowest rates alone. You shop for coverage. It's okay to compare insurance costs from one company against another- as long as long as you are comparing the same quality and level of coverage. I believe here (Ala) it is "at fault".
I was just in a crash about 3 months back- the guy that was at fault in the wreck (4 cars- 3 totaled) had a $25k policy. Fortunately for me- not only did I have a higher coverage rate ( which I did not need- not my fault) but also I had uninsured/under-insured coverage, which paid to replace my car- because the guy at fault didn't have enough to pay everyone. I was 1 week without a car- then I had a ck in my hand and was shopping for another one. 10 days after the wreck- I had a 2 year newer car.
Your situation seem a little different- you are waiting on parts. But still- there must be some kind of time limit on it. I would think- that after so long- someone (ins co or person at fault) should be forced to buy your car and give you another one. Gosh- about 8 months without a car- I'd be talking to someone?

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
Thanks, I will do that and keep this thread updated with my experiences. All these AEB systems are going to be hell to get parts for. I wish my Ranger didn't come with it.
Well, eventually all the supply chain craziness will settle down (could take another year though) and we will all be taking all the electronics systems for granted again. :)

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
Do you have a company that you've had good experience/rates with? I've only had Progressive, and other than this, never had a bad experience, but I'm not particularly well versed in the insurance shopping world. Going by quotes, progressive has given me around 1/2 the cost of State Farm or Geico here in Michigan (we're no-fault so insurance is crazy expensive), but I'm not opposed to moving the CRV to a difference company. I'm not to worried about my XJ or JK, there isn't much I can't fix on those vehicles in my own shop.
Even with insurance, you generally get what you pay for in most cases, if working with major name brands. :) Thing is.. it also matters what level of insurance you purchase... because if you go with state minimum requirements, you generally lose some key coverage that would be important in some cases.

I have had Geico (in California) for over 20 years, and they have always taken good care of our claims... no matter who was at fault. They have been particularly good when we faced being hit by an uninsured motorist a few years back... waiving my deductible, handling all communications with the other party, settling our claim fast and then suing the other party to recapture all the repair costs. I also keep our vehicles well insured with Geico, 4x the California minimum and all important additional coverage endorsements (paid off extremely well when my wife was at fault for a highway multicar collision and multiple claims).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had State Farm for years. Not saying at all that they are best.

However- unfortunately when purchasing insurance- one should never shop for lowest rates alone. You shop for coverage. It's okay to compare insurance costs from one company against another- as long as long as you are comparing the same quality and level of coverage. I believe here (Ala) it is "at fault".
I was just in a crash about 3 months back- the guy that was at fault in the wreck (4 cars- 3 totaled) had a $25k policy. Fortunately for me- not only did I have a higher coverage rate ( which I did not need- not my fault) but also I had uninsured/under-insured coverage, which paid to replace my car- because the guy at fault didn't have enough to pay everyone. I was 1 week without a car- then I had a ck in my hand and was shopping for another one. 10 days after the wreck- I had a 2 year newer car.
Your situation seem a little different- you are waiting on parts. But still- there must be some kind of time limit on it. I would think- that after so long- someone (ins co or person at fault) should be forced to buy your car and give you another one. Gosh- about 8 months without a car- I'd be talking to someone?
By my understanding, no-fault in michigan (weird rules in Michigan) cover damages to the other person's car. I have comprehensive that cover damages to my car. That being said, to be safe, once the CRV is fixed up, I'll most review my insurance amount and bump them up if needed. Haven't thought about it for about 8 months for obvious reasons

I didn't really make a fuss because I still have 2 running, insured vehicles. But, I decided 8 months was getting a bit crazy, even if we're waiting on parts. I'd prefer to avoid totaling out the car, so I wouldn't have to track another one down haha 🤣. Hopefully tomorrow I can get all the info that Honda needed and I can either get the part fast-tracked, or I can talk someone into providing us a rental car of some sort.

ll settle down (could take another year though) and we will all be taking all the electronics systems for granted again.
I have no doubt, once it gets fixed, I shall take the adaptive cruise control for granted again! Though, since my wife is the primary driver, I guess she will realistically be the one enjoying the comfort and electronic goodies. I'm the only person I know who still daily drives a 6spd, no bluetooth, manual windows, locks, ect.

·
Registered
2011 EXL & 2015 EX
543 Posts
Yes.

(but heck- I don't know anything about insurance or law- they may actually call it something else)

Sad as it may be- if you drive in Ala you are required by law to have liability insurance- that's good. However- you are allowed to purchase a low amount- like $25,000. Thats what the guy had that cause this wreck. And I know for sure that 2 cars were totaled...and I think a 3rd car was also. I suspect his total bill was near $70k or more!
I don't know how it all worked out for the rest of them- but for me I got the same model car- just 2 years newer. I hate it all happened- but in the end I came out good.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Many people do not carry enough car, home and other insurance. I have above the minimum coverage for uninsured/ under insured coverage. Many people are driving with basic coverage or no insurance at all.

Beyond property damage, I'm more concerned with liability coverage. Everyone should have an Umbrella policy of a least 1 million dollars. My mother received a $180,000 settlement when she was injured in car accident that was another person's fault. This was for a cracked rib.

Also, many people don't understand their coverages as well as limitations.

My rental policy has a $1000 maximum payout per claim. I'm fine with that amount. I had an accident in June and didn't even use the coverage. Still waiting to see if my deductible is recovered from the other party. Their company (Progressive) refuses to pay so the insurance companies are in Arbitration. Long story

1 - 20 of 37 Posts