Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah more insurance is great, problem is it also cost more $, and not everybody has enough of that, especially with the cost of everything these days. How much does a million dollar umbrella cost a year?
Being on a fixed income and paying property taxes here drains alot of $, plus the cost of utilities and food etc.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,968 Posts
Yeah more insurance is great, problem is it also cost more $, and not everybody has enough of that, especially with the cost of everything these days. How much does a million dollar umbrella cost a year?
Being on a fixed income and paying property taxes here drains alot of $, plus the cost of utilities and food etc.
It is certainly a balancing act for sure for most households.

Here is the thing though... if you under insure, you are still liable for damages and can be sued for recovery. So unless you have no assets... being under insured will be an issue if you are in an accident and you are found to be legally at fault. Hit a Tesla, or Lexus, or Cadillac, or other luxury vehicle and you are in a world of hurt if under insured.

I know many owners assume they will never make a mistake and find themselves in the fault category on an accident. But that may be a "penny wise pound foolish" event in the future at some point. You only have to make a serious driving mistake one time to blow yourself out of he water.

Since we are older, and have lots of assets, I not only max the coverage on my vehicle policies, I also have an Umbrella policy for our family that kicks in once other insurance is exhausted (vehicle, homeowners, etc). Even max vehicle insurance has limits in coverage, and umbrella policies are not that expensive, and cover a range of liabilities, particularly for home owners. Just have to make sure you choose an umbrella that covers all possible nasty expensive liabilities.

·
Registered
2019 Honda CR-V LX AWD 2.4L
352 Posts
It's really not easy to be overinsured, and many people with experience in the field would claim it's impossible to be overinsured. The opposite isn't true. I have an umbrella policy that covers a whole range of stuff, but the premium I pay for it (which I think is crazy high, but not high enough for me to say it's not worth having) is lowered by the fact that I rent an apartment and don't own a home, and because the umbrella coverage only kicks in after two specific criteria are met: (1) all other underlying coverage must be exhausted to its maximum, and (2) I have to be formally sued. Also, it does not cover anything not covered by the underlying policies, but those are extremely extensive, so I don't worry about it. I worry about lots of other things, but not this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if honda can make a new car, they have the parts to repair under warranty. now yours isn't under warranty, but if it was, I'd be screaming to get it fixed OR give me a brand new one/lemon law it.

but since yours is due to an accident, you can't force honda here. but they are making new cars still, so they have the parts for those, just not for repairs... sad state of affairs we are in today.

·
Registered
352 Posts
if honda can make a new car, they have the parts to repair under warranty. now yours isn't under warranty, but if it was, I'd be screaming to get it fixed OR give me a brand new one/lemon law it.

but since yours is due to an accident, you can't force honda here. but they are making new cars still, so they have the parts for those, just not for repairs... sad state of affairs we are in today.
Thank you for completing some partial thoughts I've been having about this lately that I couldn't finish. My instinct is to tell the people posting with these problems to either steal the part they need, or to beg a Honda dealer to cannibalize one of the units in their new inventory, and let the dealer wait for the replacement part from Honda instead of the customer. But neither of those ideas is realistic, so I never suggested them. Your point that Honda should cannibalize the parts suppliers delivering items to their factories that build new cars is 100% on the money. That leaves the dealers out of it, and it takes care of a small number of individual customers here and there. The number of affected customers should be small enough as to not impact factory manufacturing operations, and if that number is bigger than Honda can handle, well in that case, it would be Honda's own fault.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Called the body shop today and the body shop confirmed the dealer they ordered from, the date of order, and that it was ordered "Critical Back Order". I provided this info to my case with Honda, and they assure me it will be assigned to a case manager soon, and to call back on Friday if they haven't reached out to me.

In other news, the body shop manager called me and said that they were able to work something out with insurance so that I can drive it while waiting on parts. So, I'll go in tomorrow to discuss that with him. I just want to ensure that I will have coverage on the vehicle while its being driven.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
you can't force honda here. but they are making new cars still, so they have the parts for those, just not for repairs... sad state of affairs we are in today.
Global supply chain problems for all car OEMs is well documented.....

·
Registered
430 Posts
What you can afford is important. I would call your insurance agent for a quote. I believe a million umbrella policy cost me between $300 to $400. I have a 2 million policy costing $600 and change. This coverage also protects you from other lawsuits that may brought against you.

I'm more focused liability than collision or comprehensive coverage. You are liable for any judgment that is over your insurance maximums. We are in a litigiousness society and many people and lawyers are looking for big dollars.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Can we stick to the topic please and not divert to insurance liabilities/coverage.....thank you :)

Reactions: Coastie05

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Honda case manager called me back at around 10AM this morning. She first checked in her system the expected ETA, which was Dec 16th. Which is funny, because the ETA two days ago when I started this thread was October 🤣. She asked how many miles are on the vehicle, I let her know under 5000, we haven't done our first oil change yet.

Anyway, she said she is going to check the outbound shipments and see if she can do anything to get one sent out. All in all, Honda USA's customer service has been very understanding and pleasant to work with.

I also spoke to the body shop, and they told me they are going to talk to insurance and see if we can just allow me to drive the car while waiting on the part. I wonder if the battery will be dead haha!

Ok, after getting to the right person from Progressive, they confirmed that I would still have the same coverage if I drove the car without the distance sensor while the part is unavailable. The Body shop was great and had no problem with that. Once the part comes in, they will take the vehicle for two days to complete the install and take it for calibration. So overall, I’m happy, the CRV is out back together minus the distance sensor and insurance OKed me to drive it while waiting for Honda.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Completed my first oil change tonight, 5330 miles one the clock, 11 months later :). Refilled up all the tires. Going to burn the existing tank and then do a premium fill up just in case (no idea if it makes a difference, but can’t hurt).

Stuck the battery on my charger, hopefully it‘s ok, needed a jump picking it up (I knew it would, since I had to pick it up after hours, the body shop told me they haven’t had a chance to finish charging it).

Going to woolwax it this weekend once my 5 gallon tub arrives, gotta keep that rust as surface rust.

Time to shop for some winter tires!

·
Registered
2022 CRV Touring
650 Posts
Ok, after getting to the right person from Progressive, they confirmed that I would still have the same coverage if I drove the car without the distance sensor while the part is unavailable. The Body shop was great and had no problem with that
Sorry -- but I don't understand. Why did it take Progressive several months to decide that the same coverage would apply when driving the vehicle without the sensor -- seems to me that decision could have been made the first day after the accident. And what makes the CRV so very dangerous to drive without the front sensor when a 1965 mustang can cruise all day long without any front sensors and have great insurance coverage ? Is the technology in the CRV front sensor so vital to the operation to the vehicle and occupants that the vehicle becomes a big paperweight when the sensor does not work properly ? I'm missing the big picture, I guess. Seems to me that without the front sensor the CRV can still operate safely. It can steer properly, stop and go as normal, lights work, windshield wipers work, etc == seems safe enough to me -- again, it must be me cause I just don't get it. How can a front sensor deadline a vehicle that is still operational and one that meets Federal and State laws ? Was it the insurance company that kept you from operating the vehicle ? Seems to me, that if this is the case, they wrongfully and perhaps illegally deprived you of the vehicle, as indicated by the recent decision that the vehicle can be driven while waiting for parts -- again, a decision that should have been made months ago. Seems the insurance company has some explaining to do.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry -- but I don't understand. Why did it take Progressive several months to decide that the same coverage would apply when driving the vehicle without the sensor -- seems to me that decision could have been made the first day after the accident. And what makes the CRV so very dangerous to drive without the front sensor when a 1965 mustang can cruise all day long without any front sensors and have great insurance coverage ? Is the technology in the CRV front sensor so vital to the operation to the vehicle and occupants that the vehicle becomes a big paperweight when the sensor does not work properly ? I'm missing the big picture, I guess. Seems to me that without the front sensor the CRV can still operate safely. It can steer properly, stop and go as normal, lights work, windshield wipers work, etc == seems safe enough to me -- again, it must be me cause I just don't get it. How can a front sensor deadline a vehicle that is still operational and one that meets Federal and State laws ?
Speculating here, but it's probably because the "smart" automatic following cruise control option is still available to the driver of the CR-V even without the sensor in place, and without it, the behavior of that system will obviously be unpredictable. The 1965 Mustang, just like the 1973 Malibu, 1986 Camry, and 2019 CR-V LX doesn't have the automatic cruise control system lacking a proper sensor.

Presumably, if OP tries to use the ACC feature without the sensor in place and experiences a collision, the vehicle's black box would record the details of it, and the insurance provider would strongarm their way into accessing the data by claiming they own them. Then the provider could use those data as justification for denying a claim.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Sorry -- but I don't understand. Why did it take Progressive several months to decide that the same coverage would apply when driving the vehicle without the sensor -- seems to me that decision could have been made the first day after the accident. And what makes the CRV so very dangerous to drive without the front sensor when a 1965 mustang can cruise all day long without any front sensors and have great insurance coverage ? Is the technology in the CRV front sensor so vital to the operation to the vehicle and occupants that the vehicle becomes a big paperweight when the sensor does not work properly ? I'm missing the big picture, I guess. Seems to me that without the front sensor the CRV can still operate safely. It can steer properly, stop and go as normal, lights work, windshield wipers work, etc == seems safe enough to me -- again, it must be me cause I just don't get it. How can a front sensor deadline a vehicle that is still operational and one that meets Federal and State laws ?
I have no idea man. For for a while I didn't escalate the issue past the agent assigned to my claim. But winter is coming! Anyway I got my call escalated to the right person and they pretty much said exactly what you just said. The original person assigned to my claim was saying that it's part of the AEB system and they can't release the vehicle but their supervisor told me it's not a problem.

Either way, I'm happy it's back in time for Winter, and I don't need to build "Winter Axles" without auto lockers for my Jeeps (I can't find my original spider gears lol) 😂.

·
Registered
2022 CRV Touring
650 Posts
I have no idea man. For for a while I didn't escalate the issue past the agent assigned to my claim. But winter is coming! Anyway I got my call escalated to the right person and they pretty much said exactly what you just said. The original person assigned to my claim was saying that it's part of the AEB system and they can't release the vehicle but their supervisor told me it's not a problem.

Either way, I'm happy it's back in time for Winter, and I don't need to build "Winter Axles" without auto lockers for my Jeeps (I can't find my original spider gears lol) 😂.
Well, I am glad that you are getting it back for Winter. Honda calls its AEB system the "collision mitigation braking system". That being said, it still does not make sense to me that it took months for the vehicle to be released back to you, the owner. My take on the AEB is that is you rear-ended someone and tried to place the blame of the accident on the AEB that your insurance company would respond that it's the drivers responsibility to control the vehicle and would not pay out. But they were saying that you could not operate the vehicle due to the absence of AEB, which to me places the responsibility on the AEB system. Seems to me the insurance company was trying to have it both ways.
Seems like this debate could go onto the courts if pressed. Anyways -- have a great day and reunion with your vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Honda calls its AEB system the "collision mitigation braking system". That being said, it still does not make sense to me that it took months for the vehicle to be released back to you, the owner. My take on the AEB is that is you rear-ended someone and tried to place the blame of the accident on the AEB that your insurance company would respond that it's the drivers responsibility to control the vehicle and would not pay out. But they were saying that you could not operate the vehicle due to the absence of AEB, which to me places the responsibility on the AEB system. Seems to me the insurance company was trying to have it both ways.
Seems like this debate could go onto the courts if pressed. Anyways -- have a great day and reunion with your vehicle.
Thanks! Its nice to have it back!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX
74 Posts
Sorry -- but I don't understand. Why did it take Progressive several months to decide that the same coverage would apply when driving the vehicle without the sensor -- seems to me that decision could have been made the first day after the accident. And what makes the CRV so very dangerous to drive without the front sensor when a 1965 mustang can cruise all day long without any front sensors and have great insurance coverage ? Is the technology in the CRV front sensor so vital to the operation to the vehicle and occupants that the vehicle becomes a big paperweight when the sensor does not work properly ? I'm missing the big picture, I guess. Seems to me that without the front sensor the CRV can still operate safely. It can steer properly, stop and go as normal, lights work, windshield wipers work, etc == seems safe enough to me -- again, it must be me cause I just don't get it. How can a front sensor deadline a vehicle that is still operational and one that meets Federal and State laws ? Was it the insurance company that kept you from operating the vehicle ? Seems to me, that if this is the case, they wrongfully and perhaps illegally deprived you of the vehicle, as indicated by the recent decision that the vehicle can be driven while waiting for parts -- again, a decision that should have been made months ago. Seems the insurance company has some explaining to do.
At the very least I hope you weren't paying the insurance company for a car they told you you couldn't drive nor provide a rental. Or get a rebate for the six months.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts