Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now, I don't always like going to the dealership for service, but I do on occasion. One thing that I've learned by reading the owner's manual and speaking with ASE certified technicians is that Hondas are more picky when it comes to certain fluids. Now, if you go to a shop that employs ASE certified technicians, you're good to go since they can get Honda fluids and other OE type parts, but if you're doing maintenance yourself, here are some suggestions:

1. Only use Honda Type II spec antifreeze (blue, 5 year)
2. Only use Honda DW-1 transmission oil
3. Only use Honda Dual Pump II rear differential oil
4. Only use Honda power steering fluid
5. Only use Honda spec DOT 3 brake fluid. I noticed that the dealership didn't put on the paper that they used 'Honda Heavy Duty DOT 3' for my last flush (per manual), but just Honda DOT 3. I don't know if there really is a magic sauce to the 'Honda' DOT 3 or if it's BS?
6. Only use any other exact fit Honda spec parts

If you don't want to go to the dealership to buy Honda fluids, your local ASE shop should be able to get them, or you can go to Buy OEM Honda Parts | Honda Parts Online - Bernardi Parts

Now, while I was reading my Ford Mustang manual and comparing it to the Honda manual, I noticed that Ford also 'recommends' genuine 'Ford Motorcraft' parts and fluids -- except the brake fluid -- which is a 'High Performance DOT 3', but Ford doesn't say the sky will fall if you use another branded product so long as it meets specs lol; this being said, Fords are picky about oil filters -- use only Motorcraft oil filters. So, I guess all brands do this lol. It really only comes down to meeting the specs... that's it.

Any ASE certified technicians here are welcome to chime in :)

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
567 Posts
I agree with using Honda fluids for everything except the power steering & brakes. Those two are basically hydraulic fluid, nothing special (IMO) so anything would work as long as it's the correct specification.

Parts-wise, it's not always necessary to use Honda stuff. The cabin air filter is one example.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep... the NAPA premium parts exceed Honda specs -- especially the Legend battery, and some of the filters ;) Same with brakes... even the Honda dealership said the NAPA premium parts were good lol. Fluids, on the other hand, are kinda picky and I'd stick with Honda fluids other than motor oil -- which is easy to meet/exceed Honda specs since the synthetic Honda oil is ConocoPhillips.

Reactions: rdfroese

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don’t forget genuine Honda air in the tires. ?
Thread winner LOL. I think a lot of the hype is more about Honda making money off of their products. As long as it meets or exceeds OE, it's good to go. I remember back on Bobistheoilguy.com, they were saying that virtually no one makes their own oils/fluids -- it's made by someone else for that brand -- to their specs. I believe Honda synthetic oil at most dealerships is just relabeled Conoco (just like Motorcraft). I believe Idemitsu makes the DW-1 for Honda and Eneos makes the Dual Pump II for Honda -- which you can get at NAPA. I don't know who makes the other Honda fluids, but it's probably just white label rebranded for Honda. It just makes you think about things once you do the research lol.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I plagiarized that from Atwell.......I think. Plagiarized from somebody.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know if it pertains to newer Honda vehicles but I've been using Valvoline MaxLife ATF for seven years with great results in my '98 CRV and '05 Pilot. IMO, it's better than Honda's over-priced DW-1 for around half the price. The last time I checked it was $17.89/gal at Walmart.

Zerex makes a coolant which meets Honda's specs. I've used Honda's coolant exclusively from the time I drove my 22 year old V off the lot but I'll be buying the Zerex the next time.

I've never used Honda's PS fluid from the dealer but I've always made sure to buy whatever brand I saw on the parts stores shelves with the "For Honda's Only" label on the container. When I flushed the PS system in my V two years ago I found nobody no longer offered a low-priced alternative so I was forced to buy Prestone's Synthetic PS Fluid which is designed to be used in Asian vehicles. I was apprehensive about using it considering how finicky Hondas are but I've had no problems with it...no leaks or performance issues.

Honda's brake fluid isn't anything special...DOT 3 is DOT 3.

The only time I don't veer from using Honda's fluids is when it comes to the rear diff.

Anyone using something other than Honda's rear diff fluids and experiencing great results?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't know if you guys have an Ollie's near you all but i've found Pentosin branded antifreeze for 2.99 a gallon that is designed for Hondas; i bought all i could find because my work sells the same stuff for 12 bucks a gallon. I don't know why but the pink and red Pentosin branded AF for Toyotas are 9.99 a gallon at Ollies.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX-L Lunar Silver
101 Posts
... I believe Honda synthetic oil at most dealerships is just relabeled Conoco (just like Motorcraft)….
Our dealer uses Pennzoil full synthetic motor oil for their oil changes. I asked about Honda oil and was told that any good full synthetic was ok to use. YMMV

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know if you guys have an Ollie's near you all but i've found Pentosin branded antifreeze for 2.99 a gallon that is designed for Hondas; i bought all i could find because my work sells the same stuff for 12 bucks a gallon. I don't know why but the pink and red Pentosin branded AF for Toyotas are 9.99 a gallon at Ollies.
I have an Ollie's near me but I live in South Jersey so it's closed right now due to the virus. I'll have to check it out...eventually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts