Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can disable the yellow Air Bag off light that is illuminated on the dashboard/console when the passenger seat is empty?
I find it distracting.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,637 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's one of the age-old user interface questions: should the button indicate what is currently active or what it will do if you push it. Neither is right or wrong, just different viewpoints. Honda chose to indicate what will happen if you press the button, thus the red color when the engine is running tells you that it will stop the engine if pressed. When you enter the car and before starting it, the button is lit in white, which is a bit dim in my opinion. I don't think the white really coveys what will happen if pressed, but so be it.

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
seems bad design to have the "Passenger Air Bag off Light" on when there is no passenger. It should only come on when a passenger is detected but less than 65 lbs. Having it on all the time, will mean people will learn to ignore it, or worse put tape on it, like I am planning to do as well :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
seems bad design to have the "Passenger Air Bag off Light" on when there is no passenger. It should only come on when a passenger is detected but less than 65 lbs. Having it on all the time, will mean people will learn to ignore it, or worse put tape on it, like I am planning to do as well :)
No, not a bad design at all. It it were "Off", not illuminated, it could mean the bulb was non-functional. Also, I know the light is there but never give it a second thought once I start driving.
I lived though this whole mess while working at Chrysler and then GM. At first one had to use their key to turn the airbag off and that option was only offered on trucks with no back seats. As time passed the insurance companies, the ones who have to pay out many thousands of dollars in repair costs when an unneeded passenger side air bag deployed with no one in the car. They asked for the automatic controls to turn it off. Meanwhile the legal experts argued over that light. The lawyers wanted it to be left on when it was not in use. GUESS WHO WON?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ordered the light dims. I find it even more annoying in my other car. I took it back to the dealer to get it "fixed" as the Italian to English translation said the light would turn off when no one was in the passenger seat. Having a red or amber light on in a normal condition trains you to ignore actual problems. It is a stupid design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe that's how my 2013 Accord was set up. No light came on unless I put a backpack or groceries in the passenger seat, then it came on. Now it's on all the time in the CR-V and yes, I ignore it.

The bright red start button is a bit odd. I would expect it to be less bright, but I've learned to ignore it too.

·
Registered
679 Posts
No, not a bad design at all. It it were "Off", not illuminated, it could mean the bulb was non-functional. Also, I know the light is there but never give it a second thought once I start driving.
I lived though this whole mess while working at Chrysler and then GM. At first one had to use their key to turn the airbag off and that option was only offered on trucks with no back seats. As time passed the insurance companies, the ones who have to pay out many thousands of dollars in repair costs when an unneeded passenger side air bag deployed with no one in the car. They asked for the automatic controls to turn it off. Meanwhile the legal experts argued over that light. The lawyers wanted it to be left on when it was not in use. GUESS WHO WON?
To test that the bulb is functional all lights should turn on for a few seconds when starting the ignition. That's how you test a CEL and other light bulbs. You don't test it by leaving it on all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts