Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to drive my 2018 Touring edition CR V on a 2-1/2 hour trip. There will be 5 people and luggage totaling almost (maybe) 1200 lbs. The manual says the weight capacity is 850 lbs?? Really? I never would have thought that and now I don't know what to do as we leave tomorrow morning! Anyone ever drive over the weight limit? Help!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I have taken fully loaded snowboard trips, four people and a roof box (gen3 tho). It's nothing special if you keep a cool head at normal speed.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Something tells me Honda has some good reasons for the weight limit. Exceeding the limit by +/-50%?........hum, that’s a lot. Maybe plan a little farther ahead next time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am planning to drive my 2018 Touring edition CR V on a 2-1/2 hour trip. There will be 5 people and luggage totaling almost (maybe) 1200 lbs. The manual says the weight capacity is 850 lbs?? Really? I never would have thought that and now I don't know what to do as we leave tomorrow morning! Anyone ever drive over the weight limit? Help!
I've surpassed 850 with 4 adults a few weeks ago... The weight limit is a bit of a joke. 5 adult males in the US is 975lbs on average (source Wikipedia average weights). Some of us exceed average.

I agree with the other poster that it is an engineering constraint but this is so low that I feel lawyers got in the way.

Im a hypocrite for advocating this and saying this, and I could be totally wrong and have screwed my trannie.. but hey that's what my extended warranty is for. Not good to do full time but for special occasions. It wasn't like I was hauling a u haul.

If you make the trip, be kind to your transmission. You might put it in eco to ease your natural tendencies. I wouldn't gun it on the on ramp!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I’ll bet Honda changes their numbers upwards just because 3 of the 4 posts here have stated that they have, or will be exceeding, the original Honda numbers.?‍♂

It would be interesting to know the OP’s tranny temps during the upcoming trip.

Reactions: mnestrud

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I would guess a large portion of the weight constraint is the brakes.
Increased weight means increased braking distance, so drive a little more cautiously, leave a little more space between you and the car in front of you, and check your tire pressure before you leave.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
The CRV is an incredible buggy - when used within its (limited) design constraints.
My sympathies to the 3 poor souls located in the rear seat; at least the luggage won't care about being cramped.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
So turn away from the Towing section of your Owners Manual, and look at the Maximum Load Limit section.
For the PDF copy I have of the 2018 Owners Manual that's pages 451 and 452.

Page 451:
The maximum load for your vehicle is 850 lbs (385 kg). See the Tire
and Loading Information label attached to the driver’s doorjamb.

This figure includes the total weight of all occupants, cargo, and
accessories, and the tongue load if you are towing a trailer.
Page 452:
In addition, the total weight of the vehicle, all occupants,
accessories, cargo, and trailer tongue load must not exceed the
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or the Gross Axle Weight
Rating (GAWR). Both are on a label on the driver’s doorjamb.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Depending on the size of the people, a trailer would definitely help in this situation. Just load everything, but people on it. As shown above, you would just need to total the weight of the people and the tongue weight, which should be around 50lbs.

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
Suspension tuning and the load on the tires is the issue.
Because of the light weight of the CR-V, the OEM tires are definitely up to the task in terms of load rating. And as long as your trip is on relatively smooth roads I'm sure the suspension will be fine as well. The 850 lb. max load rating is highly conservative as it assumes the vehicle will be driven hard under poor road conditions. If driven gently you should be fine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Handling is going to suffer, brake distances will be longer, gas mleage goes down, and if you make a habit of it you're gonna wear the suspension parts more than you should. But all things being equal, you won't all die in a gigantic car-b-que.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If something should happen, I'd bet the number of posts saying "all should be good" or something to that affect, will quickly become scarce.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,581 Posts
Best to approach this question from an engineering design perspective.

Keep in mind.. Honda set the weight limits for a reason ---> it is what they designed the platform to work with under all possible driving conditions.

In other words.. staying well inside of "worst case"...... driving at reasonable speeds, on a good quality road, with the vehicle well maintained, with plenty of braking distance maintained, and no severe upgrades or downgrades to face on the road... you "might" be OK.

But Honda has to specify for the worst case ---> high speed, bad road conditions, a driver who does not apply caution in terms of vehicle distance and speed approaching intersections, any possible road grade (up or down), etc.

IF.. if.. anything goes wrong... don't try to blame Honda... it's all on the owner here.

I personally would not drive a CRV beyond the specified limits documented by Honda. But that's me (retired engineering professional).

·
Registered
69 Posts
It took me quite a while to find the cargo weight for a Ford Escape, for 2016 it seems to be 1,100 (GVW-curb weight), https://www.autobytel.com/ford/escape/2016/specifications/ ( I found https://itstillruns.com/cargo-specifications-ford-escape-7427912.html that implies the cargo weight limit is 4,100 lbs for the 2011 but I think they got their calculations wrong.) The towing capacity of the 2018 is now 3,500 lbs. These are much better than the 850 and 1500 lbs of the CR-V. (Does U-Haul even rent a trailer that weights less than 1,500 lbs?)

I've bought a new 2015 CR-V Touring AWD (I bought it when it was still on the delivery truck in another state) and although I haven't had any major problems with it, I am disappointed in many 'small' things. I definitely had a defective windshield and both dealers in town, I'd say now, hindered me in getting it replaced, they certainly didn't explain all it took was for the factory rep to see it and OK the replacement, she visits both dealers once a month. My dealer service manager just told me he was 'calling it in', this went on for four months! The other dealer tried to say it was due to a sand storm, "look at all the pits in the paint here on front of the hood" Oops, no pits.

My second gripe is the Nav system. You can set it for Maximum or minimum freeway driving, you can't set it for minimum time/distance. Often the fastest/shortest is not the first pick of the three suggested routes. From Luckenbach Tx to Albuquerque NM, of the SIX available routes the Nav system come up with, the best is 10 hours 51 minutes (664 miles), where as Mr Jobs and Mr Page say its more like 9 hours 47 minutes (653 mi), 10% quicker. (I also have a gripe in Honda still charges us 2015 owners $99 for map updates, where now new owners get 5 years of updates for free). Although this is true as far as I know for all cars, I hate that the nav system locks out all input once the car is in gear. The airbag system and seatbelt warning has a sensor for a front seat passenger, why can't the verified passenger be allowed to input the nav destination? As it is now, once the car is started, it takes 1 minute for the nav system to boot, then another at least 4 minutes to input your destination, review the suggest routes and choose one. This is 5 minutes you could be down the road (I just assume you know how to get out of your neighborhood).

The ACC and the lane keep assist systems were released before they were ready. When ACC cruising, it will wait til it gets to the set distance behind a car, then slam on the brakes. The radar distance sensor is behind the H in the front of the car, one snowy trip at night mine got covered in snow and ice, then failed to work (isn't this the condition you want the radar to work?) The car has an ambient temp sensor, why not turn on a heater when the temperature drops below freezing? The lane keep assist likes to take freeway exits. I hear the later model years are much better, but Honda refuses to update the software in my car. (Unlike Tesla that is constantly doing software updates for all owners).

Honda sent out thumbdrives to a few lucky early 2015 owners to install Apple Car play and test it out. So the software is available. Even if it is buggy I'd sign a disclaimer and pay money for it. But NO!

There are many other small things, like no aux input port on the Touring trim (LX trim yes, top level Touring no), I have had other CR-V owners agree the driver's left arm rest is just too low; and one time in the dealer shop for a factory recall, the tech reset all the maintenance minders, Honda PLEASE just give us some suggested maintenance intervals, and a log book to record maintenance. I've written Honda America, and have gotten letters back that they tried to call, but that is BS, the call logs on my phone don't verify that.

Sorry guys, I am selling the Honda CR-V and getting a Ford Edge, in 'real world' tests it gets close to the same mpg, and has 4" more hip room in the rear seat. On test drives I checked all the above (except the snow one, and the nav lock out gripe), no problems. The snow one the sales guy said it won't be a problem as the sensor is behind the rear view mirror and snow get cleaned off by the wipers. My sister loves Honda, I am a buy America kind of guy (I have an '88 Ford Ranger, 200k miles, and it still passes emissions with flying colors).

·
Registered
150 Posts

I just returned from a business trip in Trinidad where me and 3 other adult men and all of our luggage and equipment were picked up from the airport in a new 2018 CRV and driven 2 hours to the far side of the island at regular highway speeds on less than well maintained roads in 95° temps with all the same specification tires and running gear... it never flinched (though it was a wronghand drive car seeing as it's part of the English commonwealth ?).

I'd absolutely have no issue, especially now, carrying loads around like you're describing in either of our '17 or '18 Touring.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,581 Posts
It took me quite a while to find the cargo weight for a Ford Escape, for 2016 it seems to be 1,100 (GVW-curb weight), https://www.autobytel.com/ford/escape/2016/specifications/ ( I found https://itstillruns.com/cargo-specifications-ford-escape-7427912.html that implies the cargo weight limit is 4,100 lbs for the 2011 but I think they got their calculations wrong.) The towing capacity of the 2018 is now 3,500 lbs. These are much better than the 850 and 1500 lbs of the CR-V. (Does U-Haul even rent a trailer that weights less than 1,500 lbs?)
Your choice to go with the Escape, and nothing wrong with that at all.

CRVs are compact crossovers these days. They really are not SUVs anymore. As such.. they are simply higher riding cars, with more utility and cargo space, with the option of AWD as well. They are NOT actually designed to be towing vehicles, though they do have limited capability in this regard for those customers who want/need small towing capacity.

IF... I needed real towing capacity from a Honda... the natural choice would be a Pilot or a Passport.

At the end of the day, each owner needs to carefully profile their cargo/towing needs before shopping and comparing brands and use that as one key factor in a buy decision. The CRV simply will not fit all users needs in this regard, and this should be known up front and if it does not meet buying requirements... it never makes the cut in a brand/model search and final choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think it is misleading for Honda to claim the CRV is a 5 passenger car. If you have 5 passengers of average wieght (the airlines assume 175 lbs.), you can't carry any luggage! If your passengers are of more than average wieght, you can't have 5 passengers.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
373 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think it is misleading for Honda to claim the CRV is a 5 passenger car. If you have 5 passengers of average wieght (the airlines assume 175 lbs.), you can't carry any luggage! If your passengers are of more than average wieght, you can't have 5 passengers.
I guess that depends on how you define a "passenger" in regards to weight. What about a family with two adults and three children? I think the CR-V, with it's five passenger capacity would work in that particular situation.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts