Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wet driver rear door inside.jpg wet driver rear body.jpg

Attached are the photos of the issue. This is the 3rd time I have spotted it. It is over 90 degrees today like each of the other sides with high humidity. Unlike the other days, it did rain about 4 hours prior. There is no water anywhere else on/in the car. I am trying to figure out the source of this water. The first day, I'm not sure how I drove. 2nd time I drove 10 miles with all 4 windows down 65mph+ and it didn't rain for a few days. Today I drove with the windows up and the air conditioner on 10+mi 65mph. It rained about 4 hours prior, but like I said, the extreme heat of the day means there is no standing water anywhere.

Some detail was lost uploading the photos. Water is all the way up to the plastic panel, you can still see some drops at this low resolution.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Attached are the photos of the issue. This is the 3rd time I have spotted it. It is over 90 degrees today like each of the other sides with high humidity. Unlike the other days, it did rain about 4 hours prior. There is no water anywhere else on/in the car. I am trying to figure out the source of this water. The first day, I'm not sure how I drove. 2nd time I drove 10 miles with all 4 windows down 65mph+ and it didn't rain for a few days. Today I drove with the windows up and the air conditioner on 10+mi 65mph. It rained about 4 hours prior, but like I said, the extreme heat of the day means there is no standing water anywhere.

Some detail was lost uploading the photos. Water is all the way up to the plastic panel, you can still see some drops at this low resolution.[/QUOTE]

That is what I noticed immediately after washing the car. It does not get internal to the doors, in fact if you look above the flat surface of the gasket you can see the holes that allow air flow thru the door to keep it dry or to drain any water that could be in there, but water does lay on top of the rubber gasket. Since I wipe out my door jambs after washing not an issue for me.

This is not the only car I have ever owned that I have seen water in the door jambs after driving in the rain or washing the car, but the top of the rubber gasket is flat and water tends to sit on top of it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Have you seen this post? http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1050810

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I have seen that post,but in my opinion these are two separate issues. The other individual had water running out of the interior rear seatbelt retractors from a poor or broken weld in the roof. In my opinion that the water in these pictures gets there from either drainage from washing the car, or comes up off a wet road from tire spray and settles in the lower door jamb and, for lack of better words, gets trapped there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Some detail was lost uploading the photos. Water is all the way up to the plastic panel, you can still see some drops at this low resolution.
That is what I noticed immediately after washing the car. It does not get internal to the doors, in fact if you look above the flat surface of the gasket you can see the holes that allow air flow thru the door to keep it dry or to drain any water that could be in there, but water does lay on top of the rubber gasket. Since I wipe out my door jambs after washing not an issue for me.[/QUOTE]

It's difficult to say. The days I spotted it, it has been so hot that it would be impossible for fabric to remain wet, thus only the water between the seals. I suspect an internal leak or a defect in this door that is not allowing water to drain. Even so, water should never be on the inside of the door that high up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been so hot that inside the car would be dry even if it was wet. I will eyeball the seat belt roof weld issue if I get heavy rain on a chilled day. I don't plan taking it to the dealership until the first only change in 1k miles, but any ideas are helpful.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ulieq, the water you see is from water running down between the metal door and the plastic side cladding, this is normal. They don't try to seal the cladding water tight against the door. Its a good idea to clean these areas when you wash the car especially where there is road salt used.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's been so hot that inside the car would be dry even if it was wet. I will eyeball the seat belt roof weld issue if I get heavy rain on a chilled day. I don't plan taking it to the dealership until the first only change in 1k miles, but any ideas are helpful.
I have only seen water there after washing the car. I have not taken my car out in rain yet. But y our picture shows exactly what I have seen on both rear doors following washing the car, which I do with a hose and soft spray.

But I do agree that water lays on top off the flat surface of the gasket, which I have not seen in other cars that I have owned.

Without much air flow through that area it could take a long while for the water to evaporate naturally.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Every Honda Ive owned (3 in the last 10 years) have had some water in these areas after washing the car. I'd say this is normal.

I have only seen water there after washing the car. I have not taken my car out in rain yet. But y our picture shows exactly what I have seen on both rear doors following washing the car, which I do with a hose and soft spray.

But I do agree that water lays on top off the flat surface of the gasket, which I have not seen in other cars that I have owned.

Without much air flow through that area it could take a long while for the water to evaporate naturally.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Every Honda Ive owned (3 in the last 10 years) have had some water in these areas after washing the car. I'd say this is normal.
Not disagreeing with you, part of the reason I always dry inside the doors, hatch, and under hood every time I wash my cars. But this design on the rear doors is unique compared to any of my other cars in that there is a wider flat surface on the upper edge of the gasket where more water than usual is allowed to collect. I'm not worried about it either since I always dry there. It's just different than what I have seen in past cars, including Hondas.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took closer look today. It rained last night. This morning, it was soaked again. Driver rear was wet also. I HIGHLY suspect it's the window seals. I think both rear doors fill up with water and leak out over days. The chrome trim is not flush against the window which I would suspect is a design flaw. The space between the chrome trim and window fills up with water and the window seal not sufficient to keep the water out. I also suspect rust damage to both doors as without a doubt salt would have been pooled into the door by now. I'll know for sure when I go to a dealer, which will probably not be soon.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Took closer look today. It rained last night. This morning, it was soaked again. Driver rear was wet also. I HIGHLY suspect it's the window seals. I think both rear doors fill up with water and leak out over days. The chrome trim is not flush against the window which I would suspect is a design flaw. The space between the chrome trim and window fills up with water and the window seal not sufficient to keep the water out. I also suspect rust damage to both doors as without a doubt salt would have been pooled into the door by now. I'll know for sure when I go to a dealer, which will probably not be soon.
If the doors filled up with water, then you would see signs of water on the interior side of the door coming from the area beneath the interior door handles or through the seams in the material in the door panel.

When I dried out the area after washing my car and then spent about 8 hours waxing it no more water appeared, so the doors are not holding up water and releasing it over days.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Water is definitely inside the door as the plastic arm that connects to inside the door to the car body is covered with water.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Water is definitely inside the door as the plastic arm that connects to inside the door to the car body is covered with water.
The piece you are referring to is outside the boundary of the door gaskets and I would expect that piece to be wet. I see no eveidence of water leaking past the gaskets on my rear doors to get internal to the door, that is between the steel outside door body and the interior door panel within the boundary of the gaskets. However, there is a trough that is created by the top of the lower door gasket where it is attached to the door that does collect water and allow it to sit after rain, or in my case washing the car.

It is not unusual to find water inside the door sill/jamb area after a rain or washing a car. The only abnormality, as I see it, is the top of the lower door gasket allows more water to collect there after rain or a car wash than I have typically seen in the other cars I've owned. Again, not an issue for me because I dry out that area every time I wash my cars and I'm probably going to dry the water off the top of the rear door gasket after rain storms.

If you are seeing evidence of water getting between the steel door skin and the interior door panel I would not wait until the first service to get it inspected by the dealer.

·
Registered
600 Posts
IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0583.JPG

The upper picture shows the drain holes in the rear doors.

The lower picture is the "trough" where water collects. There is no drainage from the trough. Water collects and lays there. When you open or close the door, the water laying in the trough is splashed out onto the door sill area.

·
Registered
600 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts