Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Passport detailed measurements finally released/comparison with CR-V

1403 6
I've been checking often for Honda to release specific measurements on the Passport. General specs like total passenger volume have been out for a while, but specific measurements like front and rear legroom weren't even on the Honda website when the Passport went on sale. Now the website finally lists the detailed specs.

When news of the Passport first emerged, it seemed like it was going to split the difference between the Pilot and the CR-V, but now that it's here, it really doesn't seem to. It's priced like a Pilot and doesn't seem to offer enough advantages over the CR-V to justify the increase in price for most buyers.

For a buyer with a 40k budget who doesn't need a three row vehicle, it looks nice. The V-6 is a nice luxury, and it might be worth the extra cost for families who want to do some light off-roading but don't need a full-blown truck.

But for a more budget-conscious buyer or the average family of four that doesn't go off-roading, I don't see the cost benefit. The CR-V has more legroom, front headroom, and almost as much cargo space for $7k less.

Passport
Headroom (front/rear), EX-L and above
39.5 in / 40.0 in
Legroom (front/rear)
40.9 in / 39.6 in
Shoulder Room (front/rear)
62.0 in / 61.9 in
Hiproom (front/rear)
59.1 in / 57.3 in
Cargo Volume (behind 2nd-row)
41.2 cu ft
Cargo Volume (behind 1st-row)
77.9 cu ft

CR-V
Headroom (front/rear), EX and above
40.1 in / 39.2 in
Legroom (front/rear)
41.3 in / 40.4 in
Shoulder Room (front/rear)
57.9 in / 55.6 in
Hiproom (front/rear)
55.1 in / 49.5 in
Cargo Volume (behind 2nd-row)
39.2 cu ft
Cargo Volume (behind 1st-row)
75.8 cu ft

Passport EX-L AWD: $38,310
CR-V EX-L AWD: $31,150
Pilot EX-L AWD: $39,660
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
895 Posts
For current Gen 5 CRV owners still tolerant of Honda shenanigans, there's also something to be said for ditching OD, heat issues, and the droning turbo/CVT.

The Passport is just a Pilot with a shortened back hatch area and not an enlarged CRV. The normally aspirated v6 engine is more capable as is the 9 speed auto transmission. It also tows up to 5000lbs versus the Gen 5 CRV's 1500lbs. It's arguably a reasonable step up for the cost difference.

· Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
166 Posts
Interesting observation and valid when just looking at the numbers.

I think that Honda has decided based upon research and feedback that there is a certain segment of buyers that want something just beyond what the CR-V offers. Whether that is a touch more shoulder/hip room (many of us have gotten larger over the past couple of decades), V6 power versus the turbo 4 banger or the ability to tow a bigger boat/trailer just to name a few. For that segment of buyers Honda believes (and I think they are probably correct) they will pay somewhat of a premium which will then result in a higher margin for the motor company.

Only time will tell if this assumption is correct. If the Passport turns into a hot seller within a relatively short period of time they were spot on and if it doesn't those prices whether it be list or via incentives will come down.

For me personally I don't want or need anything as large as the Pilot but there are times something a little beyond the current CR-V would be appealing so when the time comes I'll certainly consider the Passport as a replacement vehicle.

Just my 3 cents worth (adjusted due to inflation).

· Registered
701 Posts
Everyone has a different need or perception. I have driven the 2018 CRV a couple times and the driving dynamics are great but I am concerned about long term reliability of the turbo and the cvt. When a CVT fails it needs to be completely replaced. I do keep vehicles for a long time and my 2004 TSX with a higher compression version of the Honda 2.4L is nearly 16 years old with 150000 miles and I will not be getting rid of it for a while, in fact I put over 8000 trouble free miles on it across Canada this past fall (replacement vehicle will replace my wifes 2005 xtrail that we gave to my son). I am assuming Honda probably has its act together with regard to cabin heating and oil dilution except for a very small percentage that seem to be still having problems. The conventional non turbo 3.5L of the Passport together with the 9 speed auto that seems to have the bugs worked out is calling my name and I will drive one extensively when they become available in Ontario. Extra hiproom and width would be a bonus and I am not worried about the fuel consumption. My Acura TSX takes premium and really sucks the gas on short trips in the winter but my fuel cost is quite fine for me. One other big issue for me with the CRV...it is a fine car but damn they are all over the place. I don’t expect the passport will be nearly as common. For me it will between the CRV, Passport and possibly the Acura RDX. There are issues with the RDX tech screen and other technology but this seems very common across the board and the RDX does has a turbo but does not seem to have had many issues. For me the cost differential between the CRV touring and the Passport could be close to $10,000 CAD but maybe worth it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.