Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it would be useful to post up a thread where folk can list what adapters and cards work in the "oh so finnicky" CR-V satnav system.

Size: The CR-V system is meant to be tested to work fine with cards up to 2Gb only. Higher sized cards may work, but are not guaranteed to do so (some files may corrupt, or not play, or the file structure may get corrupted etc etc - these issues should not affect cards of 2Gb or lower.
According to this calculator, a 2Gb card with songs of ave. 4min length encoded at 192kbps (any lower will sound poor imho) will hold 339 songs ** (see below)

FileSystem: Make sure the card is formatted to FAT32 which works well. Not sure how to do this on windows, but on OS X open Disk Utility and format the card to 'MS-DOS FAT'. Also ensure you name the card something (I used capitals only - no spaces or commas or slashes etc etc).

File Structure: The CR-V will only read up to 999 objects - this includes the folders the MP3's are stored in. If someone else can help out here as I can't think of any other restrictions (my songs are on the root) that may or may not affect readability.

Song Type: Even though it allows WMA, I've heard reports of problems with that so I used MP3 only. I have yet to test it, but I don't know if VBR (variable bit rate) MP3's work as well.

The PCMCIA Card Adapter: CF adapters apparently work best and as far as I know, problems have only occured with the cards themselves not the PCMCIA adapter they're put in. The exception to this is some reports of "5 in 1" card adapters (Jack of all trades, master of none?) having issues, so I recommend going for a "single type" adapter.
SD adapter PCMCIA cards also work.

Mine is an Exagerate Compact Flash Adapter (Type 1) - £4 from fleabay

PCMCIA size: They're all the same size and standard. Reports of some folk having the thing stick out such that the tray won't close are unbelievable at best and at worst means they're nominees for the Darwin Awards for putting it in the wrong way and pushing as hard as they could :D;).
I joke, but seriously folk, all "single card" adapters should be the same size and therefore not impede the tray in an way.

The CF card: I used a 2Gb Transcend 133x card (£7 from Amazon)

The SD card: Not sure, haven't used one.

Heat: Haven't used the card over a long journey so don't know if this is an issue but others may have more info on this (e.g. does the card overheat and stop working etc?)

Have only transferred a few songs but everything seems to work fine. I did this through my other computer which has a pcmcia slot built in but will buy a reader tomorrow for easier transfer to and from my regular laptop.

EDIT: Got a card reader from Tesco which makes it easier to move between PCs. Managed to fit 403 songs, varying in bitrate between 64 and 320kbps (but with the vast majority being 128kbps).....and VBR mp3's appear to work :).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, not got to the playing music bit yet, I can’t get the door closed.
Just bought a 2010 CR-V EX with embedded Sat-nav radio, CD and “sd” card slot
Purchased a “Transcend Compact Flash Adaptor”
Loaded a 2gb sd card and loaded adaptor into card slot at rear of screen, both snug fit and fully home. Press the door close button and it just bleeps at me. Eject adaptor and try again does not resolve issue. Any ideas would be welcome

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you sure it is an SD card? Normally only CF cards fit in a CF adaptor....
Do you have a laptop? Check if it has a pcmcia slot on the side and stick it in there. Check if you can access the card that way.

I am running a 4 gb cf (sandisk) card loaded with wma's and it sounds perfect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wish I found this thread (or info) a few years ago.... spent years trying to figure out my CRV's PC slot; only solved it about 3 months ago.
Anyway, I got a "EDUP 5in1 PC Card Adapter" via China for a few quid off Amazon. Initially I thought it was a duffer because although it was correct size and slipped in to the hilt the door wouldn't close!? However, I discovered that door would ony close if I'd inserted the SD card in the adapter. Everything works fine as long as I use 2GB SD card in the adapter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
confirmed success
transcend compact flash adapter ts0mcf2pc
and transcend 133 compact flash card 2gb
worked great in my crv ex 2011

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gaffer - I recognize that you have not been on this forum for several months but if you ever log back in Thanks so much for putting this together. I bought a used 2009 CRV EX so I am just looking into this PC card adapter thing in 2015. Looks like it's getting harder to find adaptors.

Anyway anone else who has done this and gotten it to work - your advice/suggestions are appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts