Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the "UFO Landing" sound is required by law to alert pedestrians.
But in my case, the "pedestrians" are often 4-legged critters that I have a license to shoot. I do NOT wish to alert them to my presence. There should be a way to turn off the sound for situations like this.
EV mode would be perfect for sneaking up on an antelope, if it weren't for that stupid sound.
I once put my vehicle in gear in a supermarket parking lot and almost scared an old lady off her walker, probably not the intended effect. :)

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wyoming. :)
It's not normally legal to actually shoot from a vehicle, but you can certainly stop, jump out and shoot. You can't shoot from or across a highway under any circumstances (wise law).
I can shoot from a (stopped) vehicle, as I have a handicapped permit, but I never use it. Most vehicles just don't have the inside room to maneuver and aim a long gun inside, and you can whack your passenger in the head with a rifle butt if you're not careful. I usually just jump out and use the hood as a rest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree, it's annoying. It sounds like brakes grinding. I don't like it at all. It's capable of detecting pedestrian. Why don't they make better sound when pedestrians are present. If someone knows how to disconnect please let me know.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm told it will throw a code if you disconnect it, if that sort of thing matters to you.
I believe it is a simple loudspeaker. If disconnecting it causes a code you should be able to just replace the voice coil with an appropriate resistor.
Of course a switch inside the vehicle would be best, but they probably figure folks would just turn it off and leave it off.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,920 Posts
Wyoming. :)
It's not normally legal to actually shoot from a vehicle, but you can certainly stop, jump out and shoot. You can't shoot from or across a highway under any circumstances (wise law).
I can shoot from a (stopped) vehicle, as I have a handicapped permit, but I never use it. Most vehicles just don't have the inside room to maneuver and aim a long gun inside, and you can whack your passenger in the head with a rifle butt if you're not careful. I usually just jump out and use the hood as a rest.
heh...

Drive, stop, jump out, and shoot =/= hunting in my view. That is called a stop and shoot drive by.. with the target being a critter instead of a human thankfully. :)

Maybe I am just old school here.. but when I go out hunting.. It is on a private ranch (with a permit from the owner), and on foot.. hoofing it through the terrain. Reason: you will be arrested and hauled to jail by roaming Fish and Wildlife officers here if you do what you describe above.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,920 Posts
I'm told it will throw a code if you disconnect it, if that sort of thing matters to you.
I believe it is a simple loudspeaker. If disconnecting it causes a code you should be able to just replace the voice coil with an appropriate resistor.
Of course a switch inside the vehicle would be best, but they probably figure folks would just turn it off and leave it off.

Well.. in fairness.. I doubt if there is much actual need for the alert sound in Wyoming. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
The original poster stated that they have a handicap permit. In many states people with a handicap permit are allowed to shoot from a motorized vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heh...

Drive, stop, jump out, and shoot =/= hunting in my view. That is called a stop and shoot drive by.. with the target being a critter instead of a human thankfully. :)

Maybe I am just old school here.. but when I go out hunting.. It is on a private ranch (with a permit from the owner), and on foot.. hoofing it through the terrain. Reason: you will be arrested and hauled to jail by roaming Fish and Wildlife officers here if you do what you describe above.
Well I'm not talking about driving down the interstate looking for game. We hunt private land (written permission required by state law), BLM land and state land, sometimes with vehicles, sometimes horses, sometimes on foot, always with a license. The rules vary by location. Hunting is highly regulated here, as it should be, but there are many times a deer or antelope is accessible by a 2-track ranch or BLM road perfectly legally. You have to watch those catalytic converters on 2-tracks though, they set the grass on fire.
I'm not sure where you hunt, but the distances around here mean you need a vehicle of some sort, at least as a place to start walking from. For reasonably flat ranch roads the CR-V works well, as long as you have someone else with a pickup. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts