Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Its been a while since I posted but have been reading reguarly.

Quick question, today I noticed peeling lacquer on the rear of my 2011 CRV.
Im wondering how this starts as the car has not been re painted, is it wear and tear?

Its like it came out of nowhere.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this and how the rear chrome strip comes off please.
Yet a garage can fix it but we still have lockdown mostly here and will cost a lot so need some advice please.
I mean, yes its a small bit but I heard it can get worse and the rest of the car is mint so it bothering me a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Moving to Appearance section as this section is CLOSED and no further posting is allowed here.

Man, I'd be hopping around on both feet about that! Looks like some clear coat peeling. This is difficult to deal with and needs a paint shop pro to do it right. I'd say there must probably have been a small bubble there for a long time that finally deteriorated to this. After you talk to a painter, you might try to minimize it for the time being by feathering the edges of it with some compound and then covering it with a good coat of wax. If left like that, with air under the edges, it will continue to get worse fairly quickly. I'd also go over the entire car carefully to see if there are other spots. If you have to spend money, might as well get it all at once, it would be cheaper than one at a time. I wouldn't remove the chrome. Disturbing the surface might make it worse. Just go over it carefully as best you can and gently, and hopefully it will hold for a while. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Its been a while since I posted but have been reading reguarly.

Quick question, today I noticed peeling lacquer on the rear of my 2011 CRV.
Im wondering how this starts as the car has not been re painted, is it wear and tear?

Its like it came out of nowhere.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this and how the rear chrome strip comes off please.
Yet a garage can fix it but we still have lockdown mostly here and will cost a lot so need some advice please.
I mean, yes its a small bit but I heard it can get worse and the rest of the car is mint so it bothering me a bit.

Thanks View attachment 138788

Hi

Yes You cannot ignore these things as I know it will spread and I have no plans to change the car anytime soon.

I have got a quote from someone I know who knows what he is doing and he said around £125 to repair it which is ok but seems to want to remove the chrome strip.

Suppose I have no choice but never seen it before, might have come from under the strip, god knows.
Id rather get it done properly one time.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
This is a vid for interior trunk trim removal.
Then u should be able to access the strip to remove it.
You can get cheap pry tool for a few bucks so u dont gouge it.

not hard at all

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I found this....
hopefully it can be done without breaking anything ,I hate taking trims off but might just leave it to a body shop, then again they could break something too
either way , its going in Saturday as I know this will start to peel and get worse

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just incase might help someone else.

Turns out that part of the tailgate had been painted before, for minor marks, I got told it shouldnt peel if it was done properly but it did take 4 years to peel.
Anyway he managed to do it without removing anything but the CRV badge , had to repaint and polish most of that section....but he said that it would have spread if left or jetwashed so it only gets worse if you leave it.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,141 Posts
That sir, is a sterling job of a handyman who knows his trade.

Looks magnificent!

I'm sure you're pleased!

Can I be somewhat nosey and ask how much that set you back?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know the guy from many years he said normally would have been £135 but I got it done £115 as he only removed the CRV badge and nothing else, so bit cheaper.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,141 Posts
I had in my mind about £150-175.

You got a good deal there. That really is exceptional work considering the location and quantity of damage too.

Excellent, excellent work there.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes he normally charges £150 per panel , dependent on amount of damage, but he thought initially it wasnt that bad until he started sanding it down and it just started peel away more but he stuck to the price
£150 easy in my mind.
Having said that, for two 1 inch scratches on my back door caused by flying debris on a very windy day, Honda wanted £550.
£550 for 2 little scratches ok they were down to the metal but thats a joke. got it done in the end for lot less.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,141 Posts
Sounds like your friend is a keeper!

Mind you, when I had my 2010 Accord with a chip right down to the metal on the bonnet, they wanted a similar sum.

Naturally, I baulked at the prospect of paying £600+, so had it done from some random back street panel beater with a paint shop who did a brilliant job for under a ton!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts