Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Read Only
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been discussed before, but here are some factual data on the issue. There was an interesting article in the current July issue of Car and Driver magazine, 'Should you be Buying Premium?" (It is not yet available on their website.) They tested four vehicles: 2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD, 2019 BMW M5 Competition, 2019 Ford F-150 Limited 4x4, 2019 Dodge Charger R/T. Except for the Ford truck, there was no appreciable advantage of using 93 octane gas as opposed to 87. The BMW calls for premium and its performance was slightly degraded with regular. The conclusion was that that for most vehicles the slight increase in performance is not worth the cost of premium gas. In the case of the CR-V, it was a 1% increase vs. a 21% higher cost. Here are the details for the CR-V:

Measured wheel power: (87) 164 hp (93) 172 hp
Measured wheel torque: (87) 168 lb-ft (93) 168 lb-ft
0 - 60 mph: (87) 7.3 sec. (93) 7.4 sec.
0 - 100 mph: (87) 20.4 sec. (93) 20.2 sec.
1/4 mile: (87) 15.7 sec. @ 90 mph (93) 15.8 sec. @90 mph
75-mph fuel economy: (87) 27.3 mph (93) 27.6 mph

The summary for the CR-V said using premium is a waste of money and that "Based on our testing, premim fuel might as well not exist in the CR-V's world." and "... the company's identiey is still predicated on the same sensible and modest ethic, right down to the fuel that you put in your tank.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The conclusion was that that for most vehicles the slight increase in performance is not worth the cost of premium gas
This has pretty much been known forever. Some people are willing to pay for a little extra HP and that will never change. The argument of course does not hold true for all vehicles as some of them compress the cylinders down so much that if you use anything less than 93 octane you will get premature detonation and that will probably wreck the engine fairly quickly.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Dayum! The CRV will do 100 mph?o_O

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes. With using modern day ignition timing computers and EFI systems, using higher octane gas is NOT worth it. Especially when compared against its buying cost.

What is more important is buying gas from "top tier" suppliers. For more details, scroll to lower page of: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

When possible, I try to buy from Top Tier gas stations. And, will only buy lower grades if I must. Most often, top tier selling price is often the same price as the lower grade mixtures.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would like to see a test where they are assured that every drop in the tank is Premium. Maybe their test does, they are pretty good at what they do. Then run the whole tank. I run a full tank of Chevron premium every 6 Months or so, and add a bottle of some cheap additive off the Walmart shelf. Last run was a few weeks ago. I filled up from half a tank, filling with premium. Then next fill up premium again. About 1/4 of the way through that second tank my idle was smoother, and my gas mileage was outstanding. More than the usual. The "last Gen" threads are pretty dead at the moment so jumped in here. Sorry if it's not germane.

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
As is common knowledge any improvement with premium would be reflected in gas mileage not hp. I consistently get 2-3 more mpg with premium. Which of course is NOT cost effective. I would never even consider premium if it wasn't for my concerns with OD. With the advanced knock sensors of modern EFI systems, any engine running premium is going to run slightly leaner than with regular- hence the improvement in mileage. Now whether this effects OD is a big question mark. Logic would make you think that a leaner mixture would help OD. But I'm not ruling out that it could all be a placebo effect and I'm wasting money.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes, the CR-V can do 100 mph. I have done so on a closed track.
I have done it on an open road and it was very capable of keeping up with the rest of the traffic. Mine's a 2.0, the 2.4 should do even better.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I buy premium for my Ridgeline (premium does give it more power and is recommended for towing) as well as the CR-V.

Why? It's the only blend available that is ethanol free - and, yes we do get better MPG with the ethanol free fuel.

I dislike ethanol and only put it in a vehicle when we travel.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Dayum! The CRV will do 100 mph?o_O
Have hit 100 MPH several times passing trucks and/or a line of cars.

In Montana the highway speed limit is 80 and the MHP ticket for 90 and over (condition dependent).

I usually drive at 87 so adding 14 MPH while passing is really not that much extra speed.

Hit 96 twice yesterday while going to/coming back from photographing a ranch on the Shields River.

The CR-V is quite stable and accelerates very well - the MPG suffers while driving at 85+ MPH though...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Why? It's the only blend available that is ethanol free - and, yes we do get better MPG with the ethanol free fuel
We have a local oil company who produces their own CNG thus having a lower emission quota and not required to have E10 at their pumps. I'm loving it.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
For many years I ran only top tier gasoline - but when the prices rose considerably (10 years ago?) I made the switch. To date I've never noticed any degradation in performance; this Cheap Charlie generally operates cars for 200K miles.

Maybe I've been lucky.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
It's the only blend available that is ethanol free - and, yes we do get better MPG with the ethanol free fuel.
The question then becomes does the small increase in fuel mileage of the higher cost of the non-ethanol fuel make sense when compared to the cost of the fuel with ethanol and the mileage you get with it.

My experience is the extra cost does not make economic sense.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
As is common knowledge any improvement with premium would be reflected in gas mileage not hp. I consistently get 2-3 more mpg with premium. Which of course is NOT cost effective. I would never even consider premium if it wasn't for my concerns with OD. With the advanced knock sensors of modern EFI systems, any engine running premium is going to run slightly leaner than with regular- hence the improvement in mileage. Now whether this effects OD is a big question mark. Logic would make you think that a leaner mixture would help OD. But I'm not ruling out that it could all be a placebo effect and I'm wasting money.
Perfectly valid perspective with respect to concerns over OD. We do know from UMRdyldo's trim readings that this particular engine does tend to run at negative fuel trims (ie: adjusting to lean out the fuel mixture). In fact, I've seen enough data on various automakers modern direct injection engines now to believe that in many cases the controls systems are running at negative fuel trims.... which completely makes sense as that electronic adjustment would help the engine compensate for fuel migrating into the oil because of a rich fuel mixture.

By the way.... UMRdyldo's fuel trim readings also show that this engine can and will run at lower negative fuel trims when using E10 fuel blends (regardless of octane rating). This indicates that the engine is more efficient with E10 fuel in the context of mitigating OD concerns. Generally though... E10 blends suffer a bit on fuel economy... but the other benefits make it worth using with these modern DI engines in my view.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I was being facetious, regarding the CRV doing 100 mph. We have lots of areas in Texas where 80 is legal posted speed limit.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The question then becomes does the small increase in fuel mileage of the higher cost of the non-ethanol fuel make sense when compared to the cost of the fuel with ethanol and the mileage you get with it.

My experience is the extra cost does not make economic sense.
No - this is a straw man argument.

It's NOT about the price of the fuel - I know I'm NOT 'breaking even' in the short run.

Ethanol is BAD for vehicles (yes, I know that modern vehicles are made to 'cope' with ethanols flaws - and coping it IS) - it's my belief that a vehicle will run better and longer on NON-ethanol fuel and I back up my belief with my personal pocketbook.

I have a '96 Honda lawnmower, a 2000 32" Honda snowblower and a 2000 Honda (big) string trimmer that all have never had any ethanol fuel and run extremely well (also they have Mobil 1 oil). These likely would be long dead if I was using ethanol as a fuel.

It's MY choice, MY money, MY equipment/vehicles and MY peace of mind...it's WORTH the extra money to ME.

I more than break even in the LONG RUN and THAT'S where the value lies.

·
Registered
833 Posts
No - this is a straw man argument.

It's NOT about the price of the fuel - I know I'm NOT 'breaking even' in the short run.

Ethanol is BAD for vehicles (yes, I know that modern vehicles are made to 'cope' with ethanols flaws - and coping it IS) - it's my belief that a vehicle will run better and longer on NON-ethanol fuel and I back up my belief with my personal pocketbook.

I have a '96 Honda lawnmower, a 2000 32" Honda snowblower and a 2000 Honda (big) string trimmer that all have never had any ethanol fuel and run extremely well (also they have Mobil 1 oil). These likely would be long dead if I was using ethanol as a fuel.

It's MY choice, MY money, MY equipment/vehicles and MY peace of mind...it's WORTH the extra money to ME.

I more than break even in the LONG RUN and THAT'S where the value lies.
Well I have a 1989 Honda lawnmower that has been run consistently on E10 and it’s still going strong.

But I think the real 91/93 octane issue for CRV owners is not performance or fuel economy. It’s the potential impact on fuel dilution.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.