Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, have a 2012 EXL AWD. Glad to join everyone and looking forward to learning and sharing!

I've been trying to do some mods to the car to make it a bit more fun to drive, as far as engagement goes. Changed interior lighting to LED bulbs, as well as halogen headlights to LED.

Does anyone have any experience with performance chips for the 4th gen? Here's an example: Performance chip ($59.99). Seems like it's just plug an play.

I've read some of these are no more than just placebo, as far as performance is concerned. Is that true? If so, what recommendations do you guys have? Any other suggestions for improving performance on the 4th gen?

·
Registered
205 Posts
this question popped up a lot back when i was tinkering around on the 4th gen Accords and everyone that has been around for a while all said the same thing, they don't do jack but tell your computer to dump more fuel into the engine making run rich. In the end all you're doing is wasting money on fuel and on that chip.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh man, good to know. Thanks for the info @Leung82!
The link you posted is a Google ad referral link. This is generally considered bad practice... I'm sure it was an accident but when you're googling something and the ad has what you want to post, click through and grab the real link.

Regardless, I agree with previous poster, looks scammy!

·
Registered
246 Posts
My auto mechanic installed a "performance chip" in his brand new pickup. He wanted to make it better than factory. Three years later, his engine blew from being "too lean" mixture. And, engine replacement was NOT covered under warranty. Today, NO performance chips for any of his customers either. And when he does see one installed, he tells the owner what happened to his previous engine. NO performance chip for my vehicles either....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Those 'performance chips' are all junk. The only reliable method is to have your ECM flashed by a reputable performance shop, or buy the flash unit and custom program online. Still you're not likely to see much of a gain without upgrading hardware (injectors, intake/exhaust, turbo etc), especially on a stock 4-cylinder that is geared towards efficiency.

On my 2.8 Audi I sent my ECM off to be flashed, the performance difference was very small. On my F150 I bought the flash unit and program from Troyer Performance - the difference in that case was extremely noticeable, mainly throttle response and low-end torque improvements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts