1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
Firstly, I am not a car thief.
I am considering purchasing a 2012 CRV.
My risk of theft is negligible; my risk of accidentally leaves keys in a self-locking car, or triggering the alarm accidentally, is high.

So for my purposes
-I never want the alarm to activate, ever.
-I never want the car to lock itself (lock only with key)
-I always want the car to default to all doors unlocked when turned off, unless I specifically lock with a key
-I never want the panic button to activate
-I never want to remotely start the car.

So:
-if I remove the battery from the keyfob, I think I will avoid risk of panic button or self starting?
-reading the manual, I think there is a setting to default to all doors unlocked when I turn off the car?

-Can I (or the dealer) permanently deactivate the alarm system?

I need to confirm whether these systems can be deactivated, before I buy the car.
As long as the car will drive, I do not care what other services need to be deactivated in parallel

For my uses, in my climate, I have a long bitter history with auto door locking. My risk of being trapped in the woods outside a locked car is waayyy higher than any risk of theft.
cheers, Doug

·
Registered
121 Posts
If getting locked out while keys are in the car is your main concern i would suggest to unplug the door lock actuator on the drivers side door. You can remove the door panel to get access to it.

Cheers
ZAZE

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hello;
Firstly, I am not a car thief.
I am considering purchasing a 2012 CRV.
My risk of theft is negligible; my risk of accidentally leaves keys in a self-locking car, or triggering the alarm accidentally, is high.

So for my purposes
-I never want the alarm to activate, ever.
-I never want the car to lock itself (lock only with key)
-I always want the car to default to all doors unlocked when turned off, unless I specifically lock with a key
-I never want the panic button to activate
-I never want to remotely start the car.

So:
-if I remove the battery from the keyfob, I think I will avoid risk of panic button or self starting?
-reading the manual, I think there is a setting to default to all doors unlocked when I turn off the car?

-Can I (or the dealer) permanently deactivate the alarm system?

I need to confirm whether these systems can be deactivated, before I buy the car.
As long as the car will drive, I do not care what other services need to be deactivated in parallel

For my uses, in my climate, I have a long bitter history with auto door locking. My risk of being trapped in the woods outside a locked car is waayyy higher than any risk of theft.
cheers, Doug
hahaha wow!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello;
Thank you for the information.
The previous owners had installed an after-market remote start and alarm, which can be disconnected.
As people wrote, the auto-lock features can be turned off (although they are on by default).
There is a valet key with no panic button.
The only built in alarm light/warning was connected to the stereo. So I can remove the stereo if needed.
So I bought it. I do fear the creeping spread of integrated alarm systems.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hello;
Thank you for the information.
The previous owners had installed an after-market remote start and alarm, which can be disconnected.
As people wrote, the auto-lock features can be turned off (although they are on by default).
Auto-lock is not on by default. It is NOT. But with an aftermarket remote start installed, no telling what was done. Or screwed up.

Congratulations on your purchase. Which model is it? A LX? Others have factory alarms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts