Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought my first CRV, 2019 Touring. (Our son takes over my 2016 Civic Touring)

What are you using for a cell phone holder? Even using Android Auto I'm not liking my phone laying in the tray. I'm not a huge fan of vent mounted, and if input is favorable I could be converted.

Thank you!
Duke

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I have an '07 (Gen3), but have had some difficulty with this also, as most all these holders require a flat surface to mount, and there is not a flat surface anywhere on the dash of my V. So impractical!

I did find one on the forum here though, and here is a link to that:

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/853940-proclip-center-mount

That's just the base, The holder is another piece that attaches to it. But it's the only thing I've found that will work on my Gen3.

I'm sure they will have one for your Gen5, too. Not cheap, but definitely sturdy. Let us know how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Some states now require, and all should, that any such mounts must place the device where you can see it without looking away from the road. A cupholder mount is not safe, and won't meet those new requirements. DOT Federal Law requires this in all vehicles driven by drivers with commercial licenses, too. Which includes me. Other new rules state that you cannot touch the device while the vehicle is moving, and can only operate it using hands free headsets or other such add-ons. Fines in Texas, where I live, start at $1500, and double for commercial drivers! Ouch! A friend of mine got popped for this, at night, in his big truck, last summer, by a state trooper. The fine was $3k, and he was fired for violating new company safety policies, after 25 years there. Luckily, he was about to retire. But he was still an unhappy camper.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
The Proclip approach is a great one for the current generation CRVs, since the adhesive magnetic mounts are kind of problematic in the absence of a smooth flat surface to adhere them to and the fact that they tend to fail in very hot weather conditions. Proclip completely avoids these issues. A bit more expensive, because it is a two part investment (mounting clip + phone holder that attaches to clip) but customized to your particular vehicle.

For the current generation CRV they offer two mounting clip options... and then their phone holders are all compatible with their mounting clips. https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/1070-honda-cr-v/2019 If you click through on either of the two offered.. there should be a short video that shows how you install it... very simple actually.

For Proclip.. you first specify your vehicle in their lookup app on their website, then lookup a compatible phone holder for your particular phone (again.. using their lookup app). The two combined = solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an '07 (Gen3), but have had some difficulty with this also, as most all these holders require a flat surface to mount, and there is not a flat surface anywhere on the dash of my V. So impractical!
Thank you! Along with the other response for Proclip seems like it's a front runner. And yes, not a flat surface to be found.
I had to modify your quoted content in my reply, something was flagging as spam.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Proclip approach is a great one for the current generation CRVs, since the adhesive magnetic mounts are kind of problematic in the absence of a smooth flat surface to adhere them to and the fact that they tend to fail in very hot weather conditions. Proclip completely avoids these issues. A bit more expensive, because it is a two part investment (mounting clip + phone holder that attaches to clip) but customized to your particular vehicle.

For Proclip.. you first specify your vehicle in their lookup app on their website, then lookup a compatible phone holder for your particular phone (again.. using their lookup app). The two combined = solution.
I didn't realize it was two parts, that does get expensive. Thank you for the additional details. I've also had failures with the magnets and the vent mounts. I have an adhesive holder in my Civic, mounted at the top right corner of the screen. I'd like to not do that, I may end up divorced if I get a Proclip! :)

The link you included in your reply isn't liked the forum, considers it spam, so I had to delete it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some states now require, and all should, that any such mounts must place the device where you can see it without looking away from the road. A cupholder mount is not safe, and won't meet those new requirements. DOT Federal Law requires this in all vehicles driven by drivers with commercial licenses, too. Which includes me. Other new rules state that you cannot touch the device while the vehicle is moving, and can only operate it using hands free headsets or other such add-ons. Fines in Texas, where I live, start at $1500, and double for commercial drivers! Ouch! A friend of mine got popped for this, at night, in his big truck, last summer, by a state trooper. The fine was $3k, and he was fired for violating new company safety policies, after 25 years there. Luckily, he was about to retire. But he was still an unhappy camper.
I live in WI and drive into MN for work, MN hands-free goes into effect 8/1. Beyond my preference to not have a cup holder mount I hadn't considered the new law and rules.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Interesting that the site is doing that, it's never done it to me before. I will say I don't like the little link-adding tool - shouldn't be needed. I'll try without it from now on, or just say "go to proclip.com."

I will also say their site is prohibitively difficult to use, and has to be negatively affecting their sales. I discovered this while trying to find my components. Once you enter your vehicle, it quickly allows you to find your base mount. But then when you ID your phone, it sends you to a very limited number of choices for the holder part. In my case, that meant I had to choose from 3 holders that won't hold my phone unless I remove the protective cover, which I am not going to do. It took me 30 minutes of jacking with it before I was able to locate holders that will allow me to use the phone with the cover on it. An extreme pain. There is no easy way to just look at all the phone holders they offer. Also, the prices for the plastic holders they sell are ridiculous! $80! Really? I may buy the mount base and just use my own holder.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I will also say their site is prohibitively difficult to use, and has to be negatively affecting their sales.
It does not come as a surprise that this is another thing not to your liking.

So, to do the legwork for you and spare the server space - you do not have to buy the phone holder from them. You can get the mount, a standard (Arkon, for example) adapter plate and any holder with an Arkon type attachment you like. I currently have a €14 wireless charger, mounted to a €10 Arkon baseplate + (€?) dash mount from Proclip. Total cost should be well below €50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use ProClip stuff. It is expensive. When you pull the parts out of the box you think, "I paid how much for just this?" But then you install it and it fits perfectly. You don't have to drill any holes and when you take it off, nobody will ever know it was on there.

My set up has the vertical extender for two devices. It's also got the quick switch backing so I can swap things around as needed. For example, day to day I can have my cell phone on the top and HAM handy talky or scanner on the bottom. If I'm going on a trip, I can put a GPS in the top spot and my cell phone on the lower one.

I paid a lot for it but it looks nice and it's lived in three different cars now...for me it was worth it.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Yup, the Proclip stuff is good. The Arkon stuff is mostly plastic, with the exception of some of their specialty mounts, and overpriced for what it is. There is better stuff out there. Shoot, if I don't find what I want, I might just break out the lathe, the mill, and the mig, and make my own. I have the materials, and have been thinking about it, but I already have a lot of projects going. We'll see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does not come as a surprise that this is another thing not to your liking.

So, to do the legwork for you and spare the server space - you do not have to buy the phone holder from them. You can get the mount, a standard (Arkon, for example) adapter plate and any holder with an Arkon type attachment you like. I currently have a €14 wireless charger, mounted to a €10 Arkon baseplate + (€?) dash mount from Proclip. Total cost should be well below €50.
Thanks you, MRTN. I hadn't considered blending multiple brands. My quest continues!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts