Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my iPhone 6 for Waze navigation and phone calls while in my 2015 CR-V EX-L, so I need to have the screen facing me (rather than sitting on the center console). I had been using a air vent mount (seen here) that hung over the right edge of the driver center air vent.

However, I have been having issues where callers hear significant noise when using Bluetooth (I determined it wasn't my phone or the phone network causing it) and took it into the dealer. They were unable to duplicate the issue but, seeing the phone mount in my air vent, surmised that might be causing it because the Bluetooth microphones in the EX-L and up are in the head unit (not by the sunglass holder as in lower trims).

I am going to test that theory tonight. If it proves true, I need a new way to mount my phone. I have used suction cup mounts on the windshield before in other vehicles, but given the angle of the windshield in the CR-V, it would be higher up on the windshield and further back from reach (there might also be a legal issue with mounting on the windshield).

I was curious to see if other 2015 owners use some type of phone holder and, if so, if they have any recommendations for a replacement product.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Easiest and most solid one I have tried (and I have tried 20+) is the ProClip mount and phone/GPS adapter combo.

http://www.proclipusa.com/

I have them on a couple of RDXs and a '13 CR-V (console mount on the CR-V but there are three possible mounts and locations.).

Rock solid...the suction mounts do just that...they suck.

834771-4.jpg

·
Registered
381 Posts
This thread couldnt have come at a better time. I'm looking for 2 of these for our 2015 CRVs, to be used with phones that support wireless charging (Samsung Galaxy S6). The suction cup solution does suck. It falls off after a few hours. Proclip looks ok, but wouldnt that hit the passenger's leg? Does anyone have one of these?

Love my WAZE, not a big fan of the nav software in the CRV. It would be nice if WAZE would work through the built in car screen, as google maps and that other program do.

I assume this is the one you mean?
http://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/1372/iOttie-Easy-One-Touch-Wireless-Qi-Standard-Car-Mount-Charger-for-Galaxy-S6_S6-Edge_-Google-Nexus-5_-LG-G3_-G2_-Nokia-Lumia-928_920_-Motorola-Droid-MAXX_MINI_-HTC-Droid-DNA_8X-and-Other-Qi_-Enabled-Smartphones

I'd love to hear from someone who has this, and maybe even a picture of where you mounted it without obstructing view of the car's screens.

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks Jason! That looks like it would be the ideal spot and the only place that wont obstruct the controls.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks Jason! That looks like it would be the ideal spot and the only place that wont obstruct the controls.
I’ve actually experimented with a couple of different ways to mount my phone.
First I tried the mounts that clips to the vents. That worked ok. But it did block the vent which was annoying. And I couldn’t really adjust the position so that I could see the phone’s display straight on.
Then I bought the iOttie mount. Initially, I tried mounting it on the windshield. But a big problem with that was it got in the way of putting up my sun shade. Besides, it blocked enough of the windshield that I was concerned it may be a safety risk.
So then I ended up mounting it inside the i-MID “cave” as you see in the pic. It’s low enough that the top of my phone is level with the highest point of the dash. So I still get a complete view looking out the windshield.
One other thing that I did was that I positioned the arm of the mount low enough that the bottom of the mount touches the bottom the cave. This serves the purpose of minimizing the vibrations. If you have a mount that’s just suspended in the air, every single tiny bump on the road will shake your phone.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll order one today :) Thanks again

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just ordered one from Amazon, with the QI wireless charging feature. :) HLCRIO132

Thanks again

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Proclip but, as others have mentioned, there is really nowhere to mount it in the 2015 models (due to the speaker cover in the center console and the push button start) unless you put it to the left of the steering wheel (which then precludes connecting it to the car via cable). The Youtube instruction video notes the lack of gaps between trim (while positive as far as quality & vibration) made it difficult to create a good mounting spot.

I ordered an iOttie and will see how that holds up.

P.S. It was the phone location causing the Bluetooth noise (either air flow obstruction or electrical interference), even though the phone was at least 1/4" to the left of the microphone.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation for the IOTTIE holder. It came in today, and I like it so much that I ordered a second one for our other CRV. What a well made lil and flexible device!

It fits well inside the cave on the upper dash, without obstructing views of the road or of the screens. The wireless charger works well, too. It also a slot so you can still charge the phone from the bottom, if desired. (like if you wanted to use the fast charger (or tie it in to the vehicles usb port for music or hdmi), for example, instead of wireless)

Works with most smartphones from the past few years that have wireless charging ability. (Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Google Nexus 5/4, LG G3, Motorola Droid MAXX/Mini, HTC Droid DNA/8X, Nokia Lumia 920/928, and devices w/added charging adapters such as the Galaxy S5/S4/S3/Note 3/ Note 2)

Thanks again for the great suggestion!

Rhody

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does the suction work well on the non-glass dashboard surface? I haven't tried this position before but i am tempted to do it this weekend assuming the suction works well on dashboard surface and the phone is secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
It sure seems secure. I have only had it on there for 9 hours. It did come with a special pre mounting pad, that I put on the vehicle. The suction cup meets with that item, and has 2 settings Regular (click 1) or super strong (click 2). I only did the single click.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also think the iOttie works well. I didn't read the instructions initially so I wondered why it wouldn't stay in place (finally found that lock).

My only complaint is the phone is too far away to reach if you mount it to the right of the upper screen. If you use Waze, reporting anything causes you to remove your eyes from the road and look to the right (which is where you will likely steer your car). Right now I have it on the left side of the tunnel, which blocks the upper screen (I am using the lower one for the audio display).

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can reach it fine. You realize that the boom extends, right? you have to unscrew and slide it out, then tighten it down. It can also be mounted the opposite way to give it a couple more inches so it will be way out in front of the screen. The way I have it now, it is easier to reach than the built in nav screen.

·
Registered
381 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts