Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Black 2017 CRV with 10,077 kms (6,262 miles) last Thursday (August 1st).

So far I have driven 864 kms (537 miles).

I came from a 2007 Infiniti G35s sedan which was getting around 17mpg (absolutely HORRIBLE).

I drive 80%+ highway and so far I've been getting 6.5L/100km (36mpg) which is AMAZING. Love the space, love the ride quality compared to the G35s (I know they're very different beasts). Fingers crossed the oil dilution issue doesn't affect me too much, but from what I can gather driving mostly highway with the engine heating up for for an extended period of time should help with not causing too much of an oil dilution issue. All the recalls/TSBs have been completed on my vehicle. I've been lurking these forums for about 2 weeks gathering information before I pulled the trigger on it.

2 things I want out of this vehicle, reliability and good gas mileage. The reliability portion is a big question mark, but good gas mileage already seems like a hit! I put close to 400,000kms (248,000 miles) on my Infiniti without any major repairs (just brakes, fluid changes and suspension - on the original transmission, engine AND alternator) I hope this Honda treats me similarly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Congrats and enjoy. OD mostly encountered during the winter. Is it AWD? I have 17 LX AWD and been great, no OD nor heat issue.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats and enjoy. OD mostly encountered during the winter. Is it AWD? I have 17 LX AWD and been great, no OD nor heat issue.

I was debating between an AWD EX and the 2WD LX, ended up with the 2WD LX because of the super low mileage. I think it should be okay (I owned a Saturn Vue FWD in university and it was okay during the winter - I'm in Southern Ontario)

Have you used Honda Hack by chance? I'm debating it.

The ONLY thing I'm dissappointed with is a lack of Sirius XM on the CRV. I have a lifetime subscription on my SiriusXM on my infiniti that they're willing to transfer to the new vehicle but low and behold, no satellite radio. Is there a way I can get Honda to install it or am I out of luck?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was debating between an AWD EX and the 2WD LX, ended up with the 2WD LX because of the super low mileage. I think it should be okay (I owned a Saturn Vue FWD in university and it was okay during the winter - I'm in Southern Ontario)

The ONLY thing I'm dissappointed with is a lack of Sirius XM on the CRV. I have a lifetime subscription on my SiriusXM on my infiniti that they're willing to transfer to the new vehicle but low and behold, no satellite radio. Is there a way I can get Honda to install it or am I out of luck?
That's super low mileage for 2017. I'm in Toronto. I haven't done the Honda hack. You might need to check your oil level to get the baseline so that you will know later if it will increase. Honda advised to drive it frequently to minimize or prevent OD. It has low mileage so not driven frequently so it might be prone to OD but you know if you will have it during the winter. But for now just enjoy it

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you need the added functions the honda hack offers then do it.

I was thinking of it before because navigation map can be installed if hacked but based on the experienced of others, nav is too slow so I did not do it

·
Registered
178 Posts
As mentioned, that's incredibly low mileage for a 2017. Sounds like you might have got yourself a pretty good deal! :)

I just purchased a 2019 this May, and also got the FWD LX. The AWD was an extra $3k or so and living in the city (Ottawa) where the roads are always fairly well plowed/salted I passed. Better fuel economy is another advantage. Believe it or not, I got 5.2L/100KM (45MPG), in a 55 minute drive to Ogdensburg, NY just yesterday! The CRV has been just awesome and so glad I passed on the 2019 RAV4.

ps: This was at 100KM per hour speed. It got worst the faster I drove as expected. At 115KM per hour, it was also closer to the 6.5L/100KM...

·
Registered
415 Posts
I installed hondahack just so I can install google maps. It is for emergency like if for some reason we would lose our phones or something, we go on road trips a lot. It is slow for navigation but just the map is good, better than not having any. You can not use waze with out your phone so whats the point of installing that in your head-unit when carplay can run it off your phone.

we get 30 to 32 on daily compute and 35 on roadtrips. Love the torque when passing and in the mountains... just awesome.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

You can install Honda Hack and then install the Sirius XM App. So long as you have a good data plan on your phone you can link the phone to the car as a Hotspot and Sirius will work. I tried it for the 7 day free trial and it worked. You can also just put the Sirious App onto an iphone and use it via carplay if you want more simplicity.

I don't think there is any other way of doing it unless you change the HU and put in one that has sirius built in. You also need to confirm you already have the antenna connection on the vehicle.

Rob

·
Registered
271 Posts
As mentioned, that's incredibly low mileage for a 2017. Sounds like you might have got yourself a pretty good deal! :)

I just purchased a 2019 this May, and also got the FWD LX. The AWD was an extra $3k or so and living in the city (Ottawa) where the roads are always fairly well plowed/salted I passed. Better fuel economy is another advantage. Believe it or not, I got 5.2L/100KM (45MPG), in a 55 minute drive to Ogdensburg, NY just yesterday! The CRV has been just awesome and so glad I passed on the 2019 RAV4.

ps: This was at 100KM per hour speed. It got worst the faster I drove as expected. At 115KM per hour, it was also closer to the 6.5L/100KM...
The extra $$$ for awd and honda sensing is worth it especially if you can get it at invoice price or close to it

·
Registered
17 Posts

The coolest thing about your CRV is on the drivers door where it says Made In Canada . Tell me often you see that today. With the dual climate control on mine it’s the warmest car I’ve ever had. My feet stay warm while my wife can freeze on her side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

WOW that gas mileage is amazing.

Love this car so far, and thanks everyone for the suggestions I installed the sirius XM app on my phone and used it this morning through carplay!

BTW seeing made in Canada is awesome :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed hondahack just so I can install google maps. It is for emergency like if for some reason we would lose our phones or something, we go on road trips a lot. It is slow for navigation but just the map is good, better than not having any. You can not use waze with out your phone so whats the point of installing that in your head-unit when carplay can run it off your phone.

we get 30 to 32 on daily compute and 35 on roadtrips. Love the torque when passing and in the mountains... just awesome.
I'm about 300 miles into my 2019 and the biggest disappointment by far is the outdated head unit. Android 4.0 and the unit is stock slow. It was outdated in 2017 and now it's an embarrassment.

I'm scared to do anything more to the head unit as it will just slow it down more. Given the unit has so many vehicle settings I doubt one could ever replace it. I should have just waited until 2020.

I'm a apple person so I just plan to treat the head unit as useless like I did in my previous vehicle. It's unfortunate.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm about 300 miles into my 2019 and the biggest disappointment by far is the outdated head unit. Android 4.0 and the unit is stock slow. It was outdated in 2017 and now it's an embarrassment.

I'm scared to do anything more to the head unit as it will just slow it down more. Given the unit has so many vehicle settings I doubt one could ever replace it. I should have just waited until 2020.

I'm a apple person so I just plan to treat the head unit as useless like I did in my previous vehicle. It's unfortunate.
Welcome to the party.

HondaHack works very well. It's not without issues, but it does work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the party.

HondaHack works very well. It's not without issues, but it does work.
I’ve read several reports of the play store slowing down the head unit more. I guess I could get apks. Just seems not worth it when it’s not snappy brand new

·
Registered
19 Posts
Almost 60,000kms on our 18 CRV, ZERO issues and know a few others whole haven't had issues either.
Im not getting into the oil dilution thing but I think it has been blown way out of proportion, it effected a few of the earlier units.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Almost 60,000kms on our 18 CRV, ZERO issues and know a few others whole haven't had issues either.
Im not getting into the oil dilution thing but I think it has been blown way out of proportion, it effected a few of the earlier units.
LOL but you did!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a Black 2017 CRV with 10,077 kms (6,262 miles) last Thursday (August 1st).

I came from a 2007 Infiniti G35s sedan which was getting around 17mpg (absolutely HORRIBLE).

I drive 80%+ highway and so far I've been getting 6.5L/100km (36mpg) which is AMAZING. Love the space, love the ride quality compared to the G35s (I know they're very different beasts). Fingers crossed the oil dilution issue doesn't affect me too much, but from what I can gather driving mostly highway with the engine heating up for for an extended period of time should help with not causing too much of an oil dilution issue. All the recalls/TSBs have been completed on my vehicle. I've been lurking these forums for about 2 weeks gathering information before I pulled the trigger on it.

2 things I want out of this vehicle, reliability and good gas mileage. The reliability portion is a big question mark, but good gas mileage already seems like a hit! I put close to 400,000kms (248,000 miles) on my Infiniti without any major repairs (just brakes, fluid changes and suspension - on the original transmission, engine AND alternator) I hope this Honda treats me similarly.
Hi,
I usually just read and really don't participate in discussions. I bought my '17 EXL

Hi. I normally only come to this site to read. However, I think it's time to share my experiences. I bought my '17 EX-L in January of 2017. Although I only have 23,000 miles on it, I do drive on a 50-50 basis road and city. My CR-V was made in Canada and it is a 1.5 turbo with CVT. I do not now, nor had I ever seen any evidence of this overly touted OD problem. I have spoken to many owners of '17s, '18s and 19s in my area and we all agree that this is on helluva Honda. Great gas mileage, Great power when needed, Very comfortable and roomy with a slew of great safety features. It is perfect? What car made on this planet is? Also my dealer does not disappoint. To me, it checks all of my boxes and more. The minor distractions that seem to cause major annoyance in other owners, are just that, minor. If I and all the other owners I speak with are the only ones with no problems, then so bit it and I do feel sorry for those that do. Good Luck to all. Happy and safe motoring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts