Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sales guy called this evening and said my new baby V is ready for me to pick it up. Yeah!!!!!!

I told him I'll go pick it up tomorrow afternoon since it's kinda late and I want to make sure there is enough light for me to check the outside/inside thoroughly.

Do you guys have any advice as far as what I need to check before I take possession of the car , the paper work, etc., etc. ?

Gosh, I am getting excited. I may not be able to sleep tonight. :D

Oh, I'll be sure to take pictures and post them here too.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Take a baseball bat...

brass knuckles, and a lawyer. I ain't the sharpest pencil in the pack when it comes to handling dealers so, alas, no advice. If you can look the car over without the dealer prattling in your ear you may have a better chance of finding stuff. Take a test drive before you sign on the dotted line. Check all the fluid levels while you are still at the dealership.

When you get home and the tires cool down, check the tire air pressure. We have had reports of some dealers jacking the pressure up to keep the stupid TPMS from alarming. Honda recommends 30 psig. You may want to run them a little higher for better gas mileage.

Accessories are cheaper from HandA, but some require a good bit of finesse to install. Stuff like cargo mats, floormats, and front mud guards are easy to install, you'll save from HandA or some of the other internet parts places.

The one thing I always insist on, no dealer ads on the car. If they want to put a plate frame on, OK. But no stickers, decals, glue on plastic contraptions, or the all time great--a dealer in Pittsburgh used to drill holes in the the trunk lid and screwed on a metal advertisement.

Well for someone that had no advice, I seemed to blabber along pretty good.

Keep your eyes open, good luck. Sleep well tonight!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Advices

Black Pearl,

Actually those are pretty good advices. I already took notes. I don't like those dealer sticker or some kind of metal stuff they put on the rear end of the car either. I forgot to mention to them that I don't want any. If they already put it on my car, I think I am going to charge them for the advertisement fee. Seriously.

Thank a bunch as always, Black Pearl.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great Advice Black Pearl

Also CRV_Babe,
Beware of all the add-ons like Extended Warranties, Special polymer wax jobs, and other "deals" they try to sell you. They are wicked expensive and in some instances unnecessary.

Nothing wrong with an extended warranty - especially if you plan on keeping your V a few years, but you can buy Honda Care warranties cheaper online (I think we discussed this earlier - bear with me, my memory is going).

Be sure your sales person takes the time to explain all the features and how to use them.

Any questions, be sure to ask them.

You may want to sign up for Honda Ownerlink- an online place to enter your vehicle information, buy future updates (DVD) for the Nav, schedule an appointment for maintenance - all sorts of things.

Your sales person will explain it to you.

This forum has also been an incredible value for answering questions about your new CRV.
I have been very grateful for the kind and generous advice I have been given through this forum since I took delivery of my CRV last month.

I was immediately taken into the fold and felt like one of the guys! :D

Enjoy the feeling of owning your new CRV - post the pics soon!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
One Of The Guys!

Also CRV_Babe,
I was immediately taken into the fold and felt like one of the guys! :D
Until yesterday, I thought you were a guy! We are going to have to add a gender block up there in heading.

And Yes good points on all those crappy extras that they try to get you on.

CRV_Babe:

Watch out for the service deals also. You pay something up front & they do oil changes and all these wonderous things for some specified amount of time. I never go for that kind of crap. Hell I do it myself, why would I pay them?

One other thing. We fully expect at least one wild tale. Your dealer probably ain't going to know diddly jack about the car--he has all those other models to know about. Dealers are a good bit FOS. You will undoubtedly hear some unadulterated BS. We demand a full report, under the heading of ridiculous things your dealer says.

Mine told me that there is a laser in the oil pan that measures the clarity of the oil and tells you when to change it.

If you don't hear a wild tale, ask him how often the rear differential oil should be changed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
check your engine oil to see whether it's at the full mark or half way mark on the dipstick. that way... u dont freak out like me when u pull the dipstick after break-in period! some dealers only fill it up to half mark only.

ask for some freebies :D, free oil change or whatever. just ask. doesnt hurt to ask, worst answer u get is NO. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Take Pictures

Only bit of advice, if im not too late, is take photographs during the sunny part f the day you do the pickup, from all angles, and high resolution.

I LOVE absolutely LOVE my V, but, I did have a pitted chrome emblem "CRV" and the center chrome piece on my tailgate which was replaced since it was obvious, only after I took it home, that it was that way when new. The pictures helped.

Also, ditto on the fluid levels, including GASOLINE, must be full tank in case the dealer forgot to top it off to full.

And of course, say NO to all dealer add ons, glue ons, whatever.

Say YES to free oil changes, and get those in writing.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY, do take it easy on the car for the first 600 miles, and then drive mildly for atleast the first couple of thousand miles; this will help all sorts of components groups last their full expected lifespan.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congratulations!

Today is going to be an exciting day for you! I've never had any issues with my dealer when I picked up my CR-V. As part of the process, they will show you various products and services and as several people recommended, it is best to pass on those. If you want, you can always do some more research and seek those out. Their prices are high but they try to make you feel like you are getting a great deal. With the euphoria of buying a new car, some fall into the ploy of the dealership. You can politely decline those. By the time, when they hand you the key and you haven't bought any extras, you're doing well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

I have just couples of minutes before my next meeting so I thought I'd better come in to thank you guys on all good advices and give you guys big hug. We sure can use a hug, couldn't we? :)

Guess what??? I couldn't sleep until after midnight and yes, I was late to work this morning. Don't tell my boss, though. ;)

Again, thanks a bunch, you guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing wrong with an extended warranty - especially if you plan on keeping your V a few years, but you can buy Honda Care warranties cheaper online (I think we discussed this earlier - bear with me, my memory is going).
I still laugh over that "bare with me" I typed in that first post. Black Pearl got me to laugh so hard every time I think about that. :D

About the warranty, they finally lower the price down significantly so my husband told them ok. I was not that happy about the price 'cause it's still quite a bit higher than the one you guys told me to go check out. Well, he said I'll pay for this one so I did not want to fight him over that deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watch out for the service deals also. You pay something up front & they do oil changes and all these wonderous things for some specified amount of time. I never go for that kind of crap. Hell I do it myself, why would I pay them?

If you don't hear a wild tale, ask him how often the rear differential oil should be changed.
They sure have a lot of crap they try to sell to us, don't they? I know I won't fall for that oil change thing, though. I probably drive about 1000 miles a month. That makes it 12000 miles a year. So, I would need only 2 oil changes a year, 3 tops.

Mine is 2wd, so if they try to tell me something about how often I need to change the rear differential oil, wouldn't that make them so full of crap?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today is going to be an exciting day for you! I've never had any issues with my dealer when I picked up my CR-V. As part of the process, they will show you various products and services and as several people recommended, it is best to pass on those. If you want, you can always do some more research and seek those out. Their prices are high but they try to make you feel like you are getting a great deal. With the euphoria of buying a new car, some fall into the ploy of the dealership. You can politely decline those. By the time, when they hand you the key and you haven't bought any extras, you're doing well. Enjoy!
Yep, they already tried that and my husband was ready to say yes and buy all sorts of those BS add-ons. They were trying to sell things like "Ding no more" for 400 bucks. I told them Hell, no. I said I don't care if my car got some freaking dings here some freaking dings there.

Another one was about some kind of color protection for $550. I told them "NO" as well. They kept trying to tell me that the sun, the heat can make the exterior paint fade, lose the shine, blah, blah, which could be true, I guess.

So I told them, I park my car in the garage and my office has a covered parking garage so the chance of that happening is very slim. My husband, again, told me I should get it and he would pay for that. I said, hell NO!!!, before I pay them that $550, I would take that money and go buy me Louis Vuitton or something. :mad:

So, that was the end of all the BS they were trying to sell us.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm very disappointed

Well, I did not get to drive home my new v. There were couple of things we found and told them to correct them before we would take possession of the car.

1. looks like they took some sticker or something out of the rear end of the car but the glue is still there quite a bit and there are some scratches so we told them to get those taken care of.

2. Well, for this one, some of you guys might think I am being too picky but there are some scratches here and there that I can see fairly easily so I told them I want those taken care of as well.

3. They did not have my cargo tray put in the trunk area. I was like, What????

So, I'll have to go back there again tomorrow. I did not want to hang around and wait there any longer. I told them I expect my car to be nice, shiny, spotless and in a top notch condition when I come back to pick it up. I could not tell you how disappointed I am.

Well, at least the guy was nice enough and apologized for all the inconveniences. He told us he would give us free oil change to compensate that and also some other freebies like hat, coffee mug. Well, that's better than nothing, I guess.

Oh, let me tell you about the guy at the service/part section. We asked him how much they charge for the oil change. He said $45. So, we asked him whether or not that includes tire rotation. He said no, to rotate the tire would be another $25. So, I told him we probably can have those done somewhere else cheaper. Then, he wanted to know where? I told him Midas does the oil change for about 30-32 dollars and that includes free tire rotation. So, I told him, looks like we will be taking my new V to Midas then.

Guess what??? he shot back at me with saying, well, we are not Midas. We don't compete with them and we know what we do and the way we do are the best. I was like Wowwww 70 freaking dollars for oil change and tire rotation. You must be pretty cocky yourself. WHATEVER!!!!!!!!:mad:

Anyway, I have to admit their attitude got me concerned a little bit. I am afraid if there were to be something wrong or if something needs to be fixed with my car, it might be pretty difficult to deal with them.

So, I guess it will have to be this weekend before I can take pictures of my new V to show you guys then.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Great CRV-Babe
We need more people like you - each time any dealer is trying to take me for a ride (like I just was told by Cad dealer that break job would be $1600 for new pads and rotors and I know that it will run them around $400 in parts top and an hour or two in labour) I am blowing my top off.
I understand that they are in business to make money - but that does not mean that I am going to be happy for skinning me alive and thank for that afterwards.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Salesman

can I get you to negotiate the deal? You need to be giving out the advice rather than asking for it.
I sure can, Black Pearl. Just couple of Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches will do. :D

Well, let me tell you one story about the sales guy we dealt with. Several months ago, we went out to buy a new recliner for the sitting area in the bedroom. After we pick one out with couple other things (of course), he said that they have the fabric protection plan available for 39 dollars each but if we want to have it done on both furnitures it would be 2 for 59 dollars.

At that point, I thought, here we go again. So, I told him we don't need it. I just want to get the furniture. He would not give up. He kept saying that without the special fabric protection, if we spill something on the fabric, it would leave the stain and it's almost next to impossible to get rid of the stain, blah, blah, blah.

So, I just flat out told him that, well, FOOD AND DRINKS are not allowed in the bedroom or on the couch at my house anyway, so I don't think we need to worry about somebody spill something on it. Guess what??? That seemed to stop him from trying to sell that to us.

Hope you guys are not going to think that I am a mean woman or something. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couldn't agree with you more

Great CRV-Babe
We need more people like you - each time any dealer is trying to take me for a ride (like I just was told by Cad dealer that break job would be $1600 for new pads and rotors and I know that it will run them around $400 in parts top and an hour or two in labour) I am blowing my top off.
I understand that they are in business to make money - but that does not mean that I am going to be happy for skinning me alive and thank for that afterwards.
I feel the same way. Yes, they are in business to make money but I don't want to be taken advantage of too bad either. Plus, I feel like I have the choice to shop around for the good service at the best price possible. I just did not appreciate that kind of attitude from him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great Job in Negotiating and enjoy your new car.

They add all that BS stuff to give them some leverage in negotiating a price.. They add that $800 - $ 900 worth of stuff so they can discount it and make you fell like you got a good deal. In the end if you fell for it; you would end up paying MSRP..I told them to take all that stuff off. Great job; you saw thru that and worked it. All and all; you've bought a great car; enjoy it and have fun in and enjoy it. I bought my car and my girlfriend drives it and I drive her Durango; go figure! But she lets me drive it once in awhile; like when it needs gas! But when I can drive it; I love it....

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Bummer About The Car

Well its a bummer that the car was not up to snuff, but you will get it tomorrow and you will love it.

CRV-Babe you are a mean woman...good for you. Excellent job handling the dealer. The service guy sounds like an arrogant jerk.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I feel the same way. Yes, they are in business to make money but I don't want to be taken advantage of too bad either. Plus, I feel like I have the choice to shop around for the good service at the best price possible. I just did not appreciate that kind of attitude from him.
You can always take your new CR-V to any dealership of your choice for necessary service. I cannot believe such attitude from service people at the dealership. When I bought mine, they actually introduced me to their service department and I left with a very positive impression. They charge about the same as any repair service places around where I live so that is not an issue.

It is good that there are people who will question legitimacy of what is being charged instead of simply accepting it. Good for you and good luck this weekend with your new CR-V.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts