Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just introducing myself --

It's been a long ordeal getting to our first CR-V. In 2003 my wife and I replaced her aging Toyota Corolla with a brand new topped-out Forester. Handed that down to the stepson and it carried him through high school and college. It never needed anything but regular maintenance. We bought a Saab 9-5 wagon to replace it. When that got near 150K miles and started costing $$$, we bought a 2011 Acura TSX Sportwagon to replace it.

It was an awesome vehicle, but at 25K miles gave its life when an uninsured driver ran a red light and we hit him at 50mph. We walked away, impressed with Honda crash safety.

But a week later, while at the NY Auto Show, we looked at the new Jeeps (my daily driver is a 2002 Wrangler) and decided to take a test drive in the 4-door Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee. We ultimately fell in love with the 2014 GC and leased one. With only 250 miles on the clock, the thing shut off on me while I was driving it. Dealer supposedly fixed it, then it happened to my wife with my child in the car. Supposedly fixed again, but then there was another issue and they eventually replaced the transfer case and a few other modules/items. Bottom line, Chrysler is buying it back from us after it spent more than a month in the dealer's repair shop.

We love the vehicle, but there are just too many similar reports and we didn't want to risk another.

Test drove a few cars, nothing seemed to offer the space, power, features of the Jeep. We decided to "settle" on a new 2014 Forester (since we had great luck with the first one), but our broker couldn't get the color combo we wanted with Nav. Apparently the ones with Nav are coming in September/October. So next down on the list was the CR-V EX-L w/NAV -- Fact that it's a Honda was the #1 seller. Plus, my broker got a great deal on it, and got the color combo we wanted, and the cargo space is actually bigger than the GC.

I'm taking a train to pick it up tomorrow in CT. We didn't test drive one which may well go down as the most stupid decision I've ever made, but with 250-300K of them sold every year, they have to be doing something right, and really there aren't any other options that provide this much space with excellent fuel economy and Honda reliability.

Wish me luck. :)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The dealer should 'make' you test drive it before signing papers, just to be sure you like it.
I would highly recommend you do it too.

We are having a good time with our CR-V. We broke it in by driving back and forth to San Diego 3 times in the first week we had it.
Couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like to say congrats!

I do hope it is the right one.. let me tell you buying a new car is a pain in the rear.. besides cost you have to find the one you want.. In 2008 my mom wanted to get rid of my 89 corolla which was 19 at the time for a 2008 Honda accord.. thankfully I rejected it.. That model year has so much problems 1 year later on forums people were complaining. In 2012 4 more years later, I looked at small CUV because I wanted leg/head room and cargo space.. plus awd and ground clearance is a plus. CRV was on the list, with a few others.

I don't know if you finalize and signed on the dotted line... Even though you are picking it up, I always advise people to PLEASE do a test drive before you hand over your money and signature. I say this because:

1. Make sure driver seat IS comfortable. Most people who buy a new car likes the outside, but after driving a few minutes their back hurts and regret the purchase due to bad seats alone.. I ask that you make sure lumbar support is right for you and you are comfortable in your seat for mid distance trips since you will be driving it back. Easy way to test for lumbar support. Find hill roads as your back will be pushed up against the seats and highway merging as you will be accelerating!

2. Make sure nothing is wrong when you are driving it. I also read on forums where people who test drove cars felt something was off and not right but dealer promise it is an easy fix and can be addressed when you buy it... most of the time the vehicle ended up a lemon! (If you find something wrong.. try another model and do NOT pay for the lemon until they fix it first.. then you can buy it.

My CRV has imperfection rubber trim on the rear driver side door... so much for Quality Assurance, I found out when washing my car and dealer said they can cut it to match.. my response was NO thanks! I don't want them to over do it and water starts leaking in... I could make a fuss and have them replace the entire rubber strip, but not broken and no one notices unless you really look close!

3. Do a 360 walk around! Look at the rubber weather strips, panel gaps and look for paint scratches. new car should be new!

Hope you do enjoy the CRV and it gives you many good year!
I have a 2012 CRV NO problems with it so far and its really roomy. Also I mainly brought it for trunk space xD .... It was before the 2014 forester and rav4. the CRV had the largest capacity and it was pretty deep at the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi everyone! Thanks for the tips!

It was a quick sign and drive away when I got off the train. Couldn't have been better (well, apart from the extra $369 the dealer tried to get off me at the last minute). A quick call to the broker and I was back to the "correct" deal. The car drove beautifully on the drive back, seating position was OK, although it remains to be seen what the annual nine hour vacation trip to NH will be like.

I think I will like it, and I hope my wife will too. She loves the Grand Cherokee, and if it had been reliable, we likely never would have returned to the Honda family.

But maybe we will be glad we did. I am surprised how peppy 185hp can be (especially with Eco off), and it seems very roomy inside, although I will probably miss a little of the "truckness" of the Jeep. Also the NAV in the Jeep seems a lot more modern.

The stereo seems fine, no complaints. I was worried after reading a bit on here. I see what everyone is saying about the headlights. They are just dreadful. I will have to order some Silverstars immediately to minimize the badness. Too bad the reflectors are mostly to blame.

But overall, I'm happy with the decision!

One thing that really sucks is no memory seats/mirrors. That is a must in a $30K car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts