Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

861 - 880 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I did a lot of aftermarket "new wheel" looking (within the $200/wheel range).......don't recall seeing any 18" aftermarket wheels that were very close to OEM offset and width AND had the same CRV center bore. All the wheels I looked at had a larger than OEM center bore, including the wheels I bought. Most of the aftermarket wheels I looked at came with new conical seat lug nuts and no hub centric rings. The OEM lug nuts are ball seat....ever so slightly different than conical seat that came with the new wheels.

The more I think about it, I guess the reason hub centric rings didn't come with my new wheels with conical lug nuts is, 2 different entities (centering lug nuts vs centering rings) trying to counteract each other if one or the other or both were off slightly.:unsure:

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
I decided on some Accord wheels. Same as my oem size of 17", but the rims are 1" wider. The appearance isn't terribly different, maybe looks a little more updated with the machined part and charcoal grey bkgrnd. The big difference, for me, is the tires don't look pinched anymore. It's a pet peeve I guess one could say (I think of my V as more of a car than as a truck). And, didn't want to spend for new size tires, these only have a few k on them.

It certainly has a different 'feel'. More planted, better cornering, firmer suspension. Didn't expect that.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Like crv383, I've done quite a bit of research on this subject also. There's a lot to know, it's quite involved.

Wheel Offset:
There are really 2 wheel offset numbers to pay attention to.

1) Is the offset the oem vehicle mfg designed the car for (for my 2014 crv the design is for offset of 50mm). That means king pin axis, scrub radius, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc. should meet standards set by the oem for wear and tear, if the offset of new wheels (for me) stays at 50mm.

(note: Some say the oem vehicle offset can vary a little (5mm) with no adverse affect, others say not to. There's really no definitive proof either way. The most important thing (if changing offset) is the obvious; the wheel and tire have to fit without rubbing fenders or hitting brake parts (especially full turns)).

2) The other offset number is the offset of the new wheel you want to use. If it's the same as oem design, no worries. But if it's not, it becomes confusing to understand it's relationship to the vehicle hub. The wheel offset is measured from the center of the wheel, not the vehicle hub. A positive offset means the wheel hub is farther out towards the face of the wheel. A negative offset means the wheel hub is farther in towards the car side of the wheel (again, measured from the center of the wheel - nothing to do with the car hub).

So what that means is when a wheel increases in offset, the hub of the wheel goes farther and farther out towards the face of the wheel (be the increase as less negative or more positive - both are increases in offset). That results in, on the vehicle, the wheel (and tire of course) being farther and farther into the wheel well (because the hub in the wheel is going farther and farther out towards the wheel face).

Just the opposite happens when you decrease offset. IE the tires and wheel go farther and farther out (from original).

It seems a** backwards doesn't it? The key is to remember the wheel offset isn't from the hub of the car, it's from the center of the wheel to the wheel hub (nothing on the vehicle is involved in this measurement).

Just sharing a bit I learned along this road... (I know, punny).

Cheers

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Well I was hoping this wouldn't happen so soon, that the folks here would realize I was crazy! Haha! I just changed my rims / tires, only a month after getting 17" accord rims! I just didn't accomplish all that I wanted to on the 1st try, but now the process is complete for me (thankfully!).

These are take-offs (got on Ebay) from a 2019 Acura RDX, they are 19x8" width. The tires (specifically because they had a rim protector lip) are Conti LX25 225x55x19. I was worried they might look a bit stretched but they turned out to be just the perfect width for an 8" width rim. I don't think they could look better.

Have only driven from D.T. to my condo, but ride seems fine, it's firm, but not overly. Very happy with all of it :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally got a chance to get a set of wheels after stock tires wore out and explore the limits of the car after being lowered for 3 years.
Gen 3 2009 with 135k miles
KYB with H&R springs
TR MOTORSPORTS C4 WHEELS
18X8 with 35mm offset
Firestone Indy 500 tyres 235/55/18
49 lbs a corner and shaved 6lbs unsprung weight per corner!!!!!

All I can say turn in is so much more crisp, a little peppier and better throttle response & braking has greatly improved due to less weight & inertia. The grip is phenomenal but with increased body roll that is manageable.
IMG_20191111_133723_01.jpg
IMG_20191111_133712_01.jpg
IMG_20191111_163654.jpg
IMG_20191113_125815.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191113132453807.jpg
IMG_20191111_184735.jpg
IMG_20191111_202124.jpg
IMG_20191111_114924.jpg
IMG_20191111_202147.jpg

·
Registered
3,182 Posts