Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, very surprising, when I spied it. It had a Mugen style kit, and supposedly modified suspension and (get this) a updated and tuned engine like from the Civic Si, and cranked out the same 197HP, but with an upgraded differential. I didn't get to hear about the improved acceleration as I was too busy drooling over it.

I managed to get a few pictures of it, before being shoo'ed away.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/My03Tundra/My 2008 Honda CR-V/PICT0143.jpg
EngineCompartment3.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

GOTCHA!!! Yeah, no CR-V Si, but it definitely would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, very surprising, when I spied it. It had a Mugen style kit, and supposedly modified suspension and (get this) a updated and tuned engine like from the Civic Si, and cranked out the same 197HP, but with an upgraded differential. I didn't get to hear about the improved acceleration as I was too busy drooling over it.

I managed to get a few pictures of it, before being shoo'ed away.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/My03Tundra/My 2008 Honda CR-V/PICT0143.jpg
EngineCompartment3.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

GOTCHA!!! Yeah, no CR-V Si, but it definitely would be interesting to see.
Too bad about your laptop and you really should do something about those snowfalls...there's snow all over your '03 Tundra....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad about your laptop and you really should do something about those snowfalls...there's snow all over your '03 Tundra....
:p

That was my old laptop that took a nose dive.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I think it's mostly just the bored out taillights that makes me think it, and to those that don't agree, I am entitled to my opinion. Maybe I am crazy person. The tire on the back kinda set it as the cr-v. Sure, the rav 4 has a tire too, but the rav 4 still looks pretty much the same, as did the cr-v from gen 1 to 2. So, until the tire goes back... I won't buy one.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
NO Tire hanging on the back

Serj22,
Funny you should think that way about the spare. I am of the opposite opinion. Having the spare in the back has three big cons as I see it:

1) It can be easily stolen unless locked and takes away from the lines of the vehicle
2) In a small rear ender the tire will just get pushed straight into the very expensive rear gate. Requiring replacement and the accompanying alignment and water leak issues. Instead of hitting the bumper that offers some protection. If you will look at the Gen 3, the bottom edge of the rear gate is replaceable bolt on plastic much cheaper than the remainder of the rear gate. As well as the bumper cover that gives. I think that to be of a lesser cost to fix in lower speed collisions.
3) In higher speed collisions, the spare horizontally now becomes a very effective impact absorption mechanism. As opposed to just increasing damage by just being in the middle.

I actually refused to buy either the RAV4 or CR-V until the outside vertical rear tire was moved elsewhere. And under the vehicle truck style is a real pain!

The spare well inside is not a total loss as you can store items around the tire and in the wheel out of sight. I wonder if a laptop will fit inside the spare wheel?

I think Honda was right on the money in the GEN 3.

That is just my opinion,
-RG

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Serj22,
Funny you should think that way about the spare. I am of the opposite opinion. Having the spare in the back has three big cons as I see it:

1) It can be easily stolen unless locked and takes away from the lines of the vehicle
2) In a small rear ender the tire will just get pushed straight into the very expensive rear gate. Requiring replacement and the accompanying alignment and water leak issues. Instead of hitting the bumper that offers some protection. If you will look at the Gen 3, the bottom edge of the rear gate is replaceable bolt on plastic much cheaper than the remainder of the rear gate. As well as the bumper cover that gives. I think that to be of a lesser cost to fix in lower speed collisions.
3) In higher speed collisions, the spare horizontally now becomes a very effective impact absorption mechanism. As opposed to just increasing damage by just being in the middle.

I actually refused to buy either the RAV4 or CR-V until the outside vertical rear tire was moved elsewhere. And under the vehicle truck style is a real pain!

The spare well inside is not a total loss as you can store items around the tire and in the wheel out of sight. I wonder if a laptop will fit inside the spare wheel?

I think Honda was right on the money in the GEN 3.

That is just my opinion,
-RG
As for the spare tire "area" I keep MOST of the tools I kept in my Ridgeline's trunk in there along with my tire air compressor and other small things. It doesn't look like it, but there is quite a bit of space around the spare tire to secure things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.