Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am the owner of a 2016 Honda CR-V AWD that I bought at salvage auction with 670 miles on it last year. It had been totaled due to all over damage (scratches and dents) as well as needing an entire front clip. Looked to have gone in a wooded ditch or something. The air bags had never gone off and no glass was broke so I straightened the sheet metal as best I could, replaced a few parts, and got it checked at the frame shop and alignment shop. Its been mechanically flawless and in 18 months I have put 35,000 miles on it. I am finally getting around to replacing the hood and fenders and repainting the car next week. Its an Alabaster Silver with steel wheels CR-V, nothing particularly special in the looks department. I have $9000 in a car (that MSRP'd at $28,000 when new) that I bought with under a 1000 miles on it so I don't expect a show stopper but I want to do something to make it look a little better.

The other day on the interstate another silver CR-V went by and had a nice black pin stripe with a mountain and "CR-V" on it near the rear. I really liked it. So far online I haven't found the stripe with the mountain on it but I have found others.

What pin stripes or decals are you all running on your cars and if aftermarket, where did you get them? I would love to see some ideas!

Thanks

PS. I know the questions will come so I'll answer now. :) Yes I am doing all the work myself. I buy salvage cars and rebuild them for myself because I save thousands of dollars and I have the skill set. This one in particular is my commuter so it gets 100+ miles a day, so at the rate I am wearing it out and will need another one I don't want to pay dealer prices. Honestly, this CR-V is a lot of car for the money I paid! Answers to other questions I typically get are: Yes I can still have full coverage insurance and no I don't have a factory warranty anymore. When my repairs are all done I expect my $16,000+ savings on this car will give me more then enough money to pay any repairs that would normally fall under the factory warranty period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I for one would appreciate some before and after pics of your CRV from when you bought it to fully repaired.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Oops. I never saw this until now... a few months late but here’s a few pictures.
Before (hard to see but the body was covered in deep scratches and the right quarter panel has a softball sized dent)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Crash Kia sportage

I then had the frame straightened. You can see it was pushed to the passenger side but all the bend was in front of the wheels so it was an easy frame pull.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
All in i spent $13k so that’s a $15k savings over the sticker price so about $1000 saved for every hour of work on it. I’ve put 60,000 miles on it in the two years since I bought it. I drove for a while with damaged and mismatched panels on it but I did finish it last fall.
Here it is done. It’s missing a chrome grill bar in the photo but I’ve added that since. Just no pictures on my phone of that.
I’m on to another repairable now. This time is a new GMC Sierra. Wish me luck.

Done Pics

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
Not telling you what to do but I think (cosmetically) it only needs the wheels to have plasti dip (I prefer in black). Otherwise it's a nice looking buggy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not telling you what to do but I think (cosmetically) it only needs the wheels to have plasti dip (I prefer in black). Otherwise it's a nice looking buggy.
Thanks. Yeah the wheels really let it down visually. I like the look for the factory aluminum wheels so maybe someday. Living in Minnesota the steel rims already have some surface rust so I will probably do something with them soon. Either paint or replace.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
Thanks. Yeah the wheels really let it down visually. I like the look for the factory aluminum wheels so maybe someday. Living in Minnesota the steel rims already have some surface rust so I will probably do something with them soon. Either paint or replace.
I too like factory "fancy" wheels but trying to stay within your general budget plasti-dip came to mind. Cheap and easy to use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts