Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm a new member looking to upgrade from the factory 6 disc in dash radio. I was interested in the Pioneer FH-P8000BT. Has anyone out there installed this receiver in the '03? Crutchfield says it will not fit, but I was wondering if you guys have made it work. I like that this unit has some what of a factory look but with some nice built-in features.

If anybody has some ideas on how to make this work properly, and not look like crap that would be awesome. Thanks!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P8000BT/Pioneer-FH-P8000BT.html?search=Pioneer+FH-P8000BT&tp=5684

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did this install last weekend on my '04. Unit was on sale at Best Buy (Canada)

Bottom line, yes it will physically fit and install. The problem is that the face area of the Pioneer is smaller than the original equipment. Right now, there is a gap around the radio, and the supplied "frame" with the Pioneer was too big, and interferred with the re-install of the original vents/frame when I tried to put it back on. I did not buy an install kit with the radio, sice they did not have one in stock, and the pictures of the kit did not look like it would work properly.

I am using the unit as-is until I can find some way of filling in the gaps, that will make it look ok. All in all, I am not really happy with the fit. That is likely why Crutchfield says that it won't fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost bought the unit online last night, so thanks for the heads up on the fit with the frame. I think I might go back to the drawing board.

Good luck with filling in the gaps. That would be cool to see pictures when you get something figured out.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
Did this install last weekend on my '04. Unit was on sale at Best Buy (Canada)

Bottom line, yes it will physically fit and install. The problem is that the face area of the Pioneer is smaller than the original equipment. Right now, there is a gap around the radio, and the supplied "frame" with the Pioneer was too big, and interferred with the re-install of the original vents/frame when I tried to put it back on. I did not buy an install kit with the radio, sice they did not have one in stock, and the pictures of the kit did not look like it would work properly.

I am using the unit as-is until I can find some way of filling in the gaps, that will make it look ok. All in all, I am not really happy with the fit. That is likely why Crutchfield says that it won't fit.
you have to buy the pioneer cage and trim ring, or modify the big flat plastic trim that came with it. it is that size, so it can be modified, and fit the trim needed for any application.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, I will look for the pioneer kit that you suggested.

I did try to modify the frame that came with the unit, but it was too big, then I cut it, then the pieces were too wide, so then I gave up, and have started looking for alternatives. Photo of the current state is attached

Fit aside, performance is pretty good. I have used the USB memory stick music function, and that works really well.

The bluetooth hands-free works very well, except for a slight incompatibility with my older phone (Samsung A640). To dial out using the "voice dial" I have to open the phone, hold down "TALK", then the radio takes over and I can use the voice dialing. The unit is supposed to be able to access this function by pressing and holding one of the buttons on its face, but my phone keeps hanging up just after it connects. This function works perfectly with my wife's phone (Nokia 2630). I have not yet tried to use the phonebook or any other extended functions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts