Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

A couple of years ago, I made a $600+ investment to "upgrade" my 2005 CR-V with a Pioneer AVH-x3700BHS. It was purchased new through Crutchfield and professionally installed. About six months ago, I started having issues with it. Now it's essentially non-functional. Whenever it's cold (as in 65 or below) the radio will not work. If my headlights are on, the physical buttons on the radio will light up, but the touch screen stays off and the radio will not boot up. SOMETIMES if I'm lucky, the radio will come up after it has warmed up some outside, but usually what happens is it will turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off. Or, after a cycle of turning on and turning off, the touch screen will freeze and I'll have no control over the radio.

My main issue/beef here is that this is not just a problem with my model: do a quick Google search and you'll see that MANY Pioneer radios are affected by this issue. To make matters worse, Pioneer is showing absolutely no accountability with this widespread issue. Want to fix the issue or replace it? Out of pocket expense for you!

Personally, I will never buy another Pioneer product.

I just wanted to give everyone here a quick heads-up in case any of you are looking to replace your factory radio. My advice would be that you look outside of the Pioneer family.

Anyone have recommendations for dependable radios that AREN'T Pioneer brand? Would love to hear them, since I'm in need of a new radio now.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It is the Congress mandated ROHS ( reduction of hazardous substances ) that causes electronics to fail after a couple of years.

The electronics used to get a chemical bath that would reduce the the chances of "electronic whiskers" from forming, now they use water which does zero to prevent electonic whiskers from forming. It takes about 24 months fro them to form - if you are lucky nothing happens - when you are unlucky the screen or computer fails hard.

Nvidia had a chip problem that causes screen failures due to whiskers forming - the cause was they did not wash the chips long enough to remove all the etch solution - it just diluted it so that it dissolves the circuit in about 30 months. Dell had to replace 1000's of motherboards on Dell D830 with Nvidia chips under warranty because of this - your Pioneer probably used an Nvidia chip and it failed - if you got 36 months - you are about normal for modern electronics to last.

Try and find old cell phones from 6 years ago - most have failed. Fortunately we want new features before the electronics fail.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had good luck with the Kenwood double-DIN multimedia head units that have a physical volume knob (nice for older cars w/o steering wheel controls). DDX372BT, DDX573BH, and now DDX574BH have been incrementally better every year, but I upgrade every year, and sell the old one one craigslist. These head units are simply not made to last forever in my opinion...that's why you can get one for ~$200 with a touchscreen that is jam packed with features, but it's a small unit producing a lot of heat, and riding in a car that is bouncing around. I would speculate that using an external amp rather than the internal one will increase lifespan though (less heat).

·
Registered
520 Posts
Alpine fanboy here...I still have a 15 year old Alpine head unit and it works fine...I have a iLX-007 in my '12 CRV LX and after several years it is still awesome. I have another in my '04 Accord EX and it too works fantastic. I've owned them for around 35 years now and have never had a bad unit.
Sorry to hear about your problems with Pioneer. I thought they had a much better reliability record. Have you contacted Pioneer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had two Pioneer units before one in my Mazda MPV from 2010 - 2016, and on my Nissan Pathfinder from 2010 - 2013, neither one had any issue that I had come across both worked great on both cars sorry to hear that you have this issue , I just replaced my 2014 CR-V factory unit with a Kenwood DNX574S last week works great, except I seem to have an issue with the Android Auto on certain cables I use with the unit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: At the request of someone who manages their Facebook page, I called Pioneer. I spent an hour on the phone only to be told there was nothing they could do. The customer "service" rep even had the audacity to tell me that "well, nothing lasts forever." No, it doesn't...but when I make a $600 leap of faith with your product, I expect it to last longer than two years.

To those of you vouching for Pioneer: I'm glad you haven't had issues. If you Google it though (specifically regarding Pioneer radios and "cold" weather), you'll see that several folks with my model and other models are in my situation, unfortunately...so count yourselves lucky!

To everyone offering brand suggestions, thanks! I will definitely be doing my research, as I'm anxious to get this paperweight out of my dash. Driving around listening to the literal sound of silence is no fun. :cool: At least the engine sounds nice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I wasn't expecting anything from Pioneer, I just wanted it on record.

I have since replaced the Pioneer with a Kenwood radio. It has been below freezing here for almost a week straight, and the radio is functioning perfectly. Thanks, Kenwood!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts