Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been brought up a handful of times but merely wanting to start a thread on thoughts & possibilities (i.e. pipe dreams) on what Honda could do with a more performance-driven variant of the CRV.

I was thinking of the CRV Si (CRV Type R maybe) with the more aggressive & potent 2L turbo engine that is available in the upcoming Accord, sleeker rims, maybe a traditional 8-9 speed auto (from the Pilot)....

These are parts that already exist in the Honda ecosystem, the Civic that the CR-V is based on can take the 2L turbo engine and a different transmission...thoughts?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
If the CR-V platform gets the 2.0T (and accompanying A/T) all, it'll be in the Acura variant, at least in the US. I'd rate the chances of them putting that engine in the CR-V itself as slim-to-none.

There's gotta be some reason to get the Acura version instead of the Honda...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point given the current RDX runs on the 3.5L powerplant, a 2L Turbo would make more sense as an upsell.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If the CR-V platform gets the 2.0T (and accompanying A/T) all, it'll be in the Acura variant, at least in the US. I'd rate the chances of them putting that engine in the CR-V itself as slim-to-none.

There's gotta be some reason to get the Acura version instead of the Honda...
The RDX is still using the old CR-V platform, through 2018. I wonder when they finally make the switch what powertrain it will get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now I'm just imagining a slammed CR-V with a giant wing spoiler.

Just what the world needs, a giant fat sports sedan! :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Realistically speaking, would the Honda CR-V yield substantially worse fuel economy with the 2.0T? I doubt it but Honda has to differentiate their product from the Acura RDX. Kind of like how Toyota dropped the 3.5L V6 in the 2013 RAV4 under the guise of fuel economy. If you look at the EPA rating for the 2006 RAV4 (we used to have an 06 RAV4 V6), the I4 literally netted 1 mpg more than the V6, yet the difference in power output was more than 100 lb·ft. Toyota obviously dropped the V6 to force you upmarket into either a Highlander or a Lexus RX 350, and marginally raised their fleet fuel economy in the process.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would expect them to use the 2.0L Turbo from the Civic Type R which yields 306 HP and is rated at 295 ft-lbs of Torque. However, the MPG is 22/28 for that power plant. With great power come great fuel consumption. It is actually not that bad considering the gain in HP and Torque.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Guys. A CR-V Type-R? That’s impossible by default. The high center of gravity prohibits it. Maybe a CR-V sport at best. The best Honda can do is not strip it down to a featureless trim. 2.0T, 6MT + SH-AWD would be perfect and more realistic.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
From what I have read the 2.0 turbo engine is coming soon to this platform.....and it will be in the RDX. So, there you go, they are doing it. And, you will pay Acura pricing, not Honda pricing. Careful what you wish for.....;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I feel like the “Acura” badge is a downgrade. Kind of like the Ford Mustang, you buy the Mustang GT and the chrome thing in the trunk gets a “GT” over the actual Pony. That’s a downgrade, I prefer the Pony.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2 possible options here....

Ktune your current CRV turbo and up the PSI....

wait for the new RDX, it will most likely have a 9-10 spd, with an accord 2L turbo

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I believe the performance version of the CRV in NA will be the Acura CDX. It will slot below the RDX in both size and price and will complete the Acura line up to be more inline with the competition.
That would be the "lux" version of the HR-V.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts