Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this sounds really naive, but...I am wondering what to do if my key fob will not work to start the car. Is there a place to put the actual key in a 2019 CRV?
I have the key code. Let's say the battery in the fob is dead. I would get a new battery. How do I program in the code? How do I know if it is the fob which is the problem, or if it the starter which is the problem? Pretend like you are speaking to a first grader because that is how I feel. Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Keep your other fob in a safe/secure place (at home or other) so that you have it when/if the day comes that you need it. I assume that if the battery in the fob dies, the code (a chip?) will remain and it will work normally again after the battery is replaced. That is my experience with fobs from past vehicles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No place to put key to start the car. You can take key out of fob to unlock drivers door.
Per the manual, when battery is weak, hold the fob next to the start stop button when starting car. After a couple years, even your backup fob is due a battery change. I would just go ahead and change the battery every 2 years or earlier if I notice the remote range decreasing, cheap insurance. CR2032 is a common battery. Instructions for changing the battery are also in the manual. No need to program anything, just change the battery.
I highly recommend everyone read the manual a few times esp to take full advantage of all the features!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
here lil boy sit and watch. put a battery in da car, and when you need to change out. see if you can do the IQ puzzle

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very smart to plan ahead for the inevitable weak/dead battery-in-the-smart-key.

Fortunately there is an easy workaround. But it's buried on pg 625 of the 2019 online owner's manual:

==================================

If the Smart Entry Remote Battery is Weak

If the beeper sounds and the "To Start, Hold Remote Near Start Button" message appears on the driver information interface; and the ENGINE START/STOP button flashes and the engine will not start.

Start the engine as follows:

1. Touch the center of the ENGINE START/ STOP button with the H logo on the smart entry remote while the ENGINE START/ STOP button is flashing.

The buttons on the smart entry remote should be facing you, and the ENGINE START/STOP button flashes for about 30 seconds.

2. Depress the brake pedal and press the ENGINE START/STOP button within 10 seconds after the beeper sounds and the ENGINE START/STOP button changes from flashing to on.

If you don’t depress the brake pedal, the mode will change to ACCESSORY.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The instructions aren't buried in the manual. Press the start button without a key nearby, and the instrument panel will show you where to place the fob.

Nervous/paranoid people could keep a spare battery in the vehicle. The key inside the fob will get you in.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You should get plenty of warning about the battery being low before you'll need to do the hold-near-the-button trick.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
As I changed myine it gave notice, a number of times, and when that notice came both batteries changed. If you did not know simply say so?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts