Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my CR-V less than a year and the plastic part on my driver side door looks like melting already. This is the 3rd Honda we got the last 4 years and all of them have a same problem. We took it to the dealer, they can't do anything and said it's because of the heat. I live in Bay Area, CA.
Honda must use very cheap material, and they are putting the cost to fix those problem back to the customers. I am really not happy at all. Does anyone know how to complain this problem???
Thank you so much for any tips to complain this to Honda :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I just got my CR-V less than a year and the plastic part on my driver side door looks like melting already. This is the 3rd Honda we got the last 4 years and all of them have a same problem. We took it to the dealer, they can't do anything and said it's because of the heat. I live in Bay Area, CA.
Honda must use very cheap material, and they are putting the cost to fix those problem back to the customers. I am really not happy at all. Does anyone know how to complain this problem???
Contact Honda customer service, their number is in your manual. While they may not help, be sure to ask for a "good will" cost reduction. Your not the only one who has experienced this problem and it's not just Honda's with this issue. As the use of low E glass increases so has the problem of melting plastic on vehicles and building siding.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
As per the thread link suggested above, by Mike728...

This is thermal damage by intense reflected sunlight off of building windows. In other words, environmental damage, not a defect in the vehicle.

And no.. it's not cheap plastic. It is the same plastic virtually every manufacturer uses today for mirror housings, and side door trim. It is an automotive ABS plastic. It literally has to be exposed to prolonged heat above 220 degrees for it to begin to show damage.

This was not a real problem until all the big urban buildings began using highly reflective windows.

Some owners have been able to get the burned parts replaced by their dealer one time, as a good will gesture. If you are nice and have a nice dealer, they may do something for you.. or they may not. As the owner, you should try to determine where you parked that caused the problem.. and avoid parking there in the future. Next time, it might be one of your side mirror housings.

Note: I have seen pictures of bumpers being warped and melted too.. across a range of motor vehicle brands. Basically, any plastic part on a vehicile, and there are lot of plastic parts now days.. can be damaged by these highly reflective building windows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How come I didn't have that problem with my Acura and Toyota? I husband had an Acura for 10 years, my brother had a Toyota and I had a Ford. We didn't experience with this issue for any of those cars. Only 3 Honda (Accord Sport, Pilot, CR-V) we bought the last 3 years has this problem. My uncle got the same Honda Accord, lives in different area and his car has the same problem too. And my neighbor doesn't have any new buildings though. So when they blame this is environment issue, it doesn't make sense to me though.
I will try to contact customer service and will see what happen.
Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
673 Posts
How come I didn't have that problem with my Acura and Toyota? I husband had an Acura for 10 years, my brother had a Toyota and I had a Ford. We didn't experience with this issue for any of those cars. Only 3 Honda (Accord Sport, Pilot, CR-V) we bought the last 3 years has this problem. My uncle got the same Honda Accord, lives in different area and his car has the same problem too. And my neighbor doesn't have any new buildings though. So when they blame this is environment issue, it doesn't make sense to me though.
Thank you everyone!
well someone definitely has the windows albeit at a store, house or work because you can clearly see the melted pattern ‘glare’.

just because your family members have hondas.. probably wont help you with customer service

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
IF it was because of heat, then there would be a high percentage of CRVs that live in desert areas (Arizona, Nevada, Texas, and inland areas of CA, just to name a few), that would also exhibit this damage. I agree with comments, talk nicely to your dealer, or contact Honda.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Thank you everyone!

Two reasons.

1) 10 years ago... most vehicle manufacturers were still using metal for these side door fascia. I know my wife's old 2013 Accord used metal in these place. And you know what.. it was an issue, because the paint on those metal fascia would tend to peel at the top edges where it met the door frame and was constantly being stressed by opening, closing, weather, etc. I prefer the plastic used now days, and simply mind where I park (since literally any plastic part on a vehicle can be attacked by reflected sunlight off these high reflective glass on buildings).

2) It as only been in recent years, due to energy efficiency compliance requirements, that buildings were required to use these very high reflectivity glasss windows. They are literally everywhere now days.. so chances increase that you park near one in a manner that puts direct high intensity reflection from glass to your vehicle. Note, if you live in a single family home community..even your neighbors windows can cause this if they are newer high reflective windows (and a lot of homeowners when they update their windows.. are going this route).

I literally always look at where I am parking and what buildings are near, and or facing in a manner that would expose my vehicle to this high energy sunlight reflection. Not just for the door side trim... but because the mirror housings, bumpers, and many other trim parts (including leading surfaces between front grill and hood on some of the newer vehicles) can be harmed by this. The metal parts of a vehicle can and will simply absorb and disperse the heat quickly from the contact point. But for plastics.. they lack such dispersing properties.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thu, do you park on the street or where the public has access to your car? Have there been break ins nearby? (It’s SF, so I’m sure the answer is yes.)
I ask because this may be someone using a propane torch to try to break your window. They’ve been doing it in my neighborhood in Portland. They heat the window up, and when it cools down it shatters.
If someone is stoned enough, their aim could be off enough to hit the trim (but,hey, your window is okay!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The photo makes me think your are getting a reflection of the sun by a glass or mirror. I have seen many vinyl-sided homes with melting in a straight pattern. It is caused some glass or mirror like surface concentrating the heat in a localized area. I have seen neighbors windows reflect the sun and destroy vinyl siding on a house. I believe I see that same pattern on your door window frame. Take a look at all of the places you park when the sun is strong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can search ebay for 2017 cr-v chrome pillar post covers for chrome 1's or 2017 cr-v pillar post covers..

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
you can search ebay for 2017 cr-v chrome pillar post covers for chrome 1's or 2017 cr-v pillar post covers..
Might be a good solution, or might not be. Depends on how much heat transfer there is from the stainless post covers to the underlying plastic (not to mention the 3M adhesive used to attach them). Hot enough and it will likely buckle the post cover from the base ABS that comes stock with the CRV.

Best to just park where there is little likelihood of concentrated reflected sunlight from buildings. Add this to the list of savvy observations needed on the part of consumers. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recommend you take a problem like that directly to HONDA, not the dealer. Start with HONDA customer service and work you way up the ladder until you reach someone who "gets it". Mention how many HONDAS you have purchased and the fact that how they handle this problem "may" determine where you take your business the next time and i am willing to bet they will fix the problem. They are too customer oriented not to do something for you. Just stand your ground and don't take "no" for an answer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's pretty crazy. 2012 CRV here and I live in Texas and mine stays outside while at home and in a parking garage while at work. Mine look fine and I can't recall seeing any others with marks like that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My guess is Honda customer service will give you their standard, "Its operating or performing as designed - sorry but is there anything else I can help you with today?"

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
That's pretty crazy. 2012 CRV here and I live in Texas and mine stays outside while at home and in a parking garage while at work. Mine look fine and I can't recall seeing any others with marks like that.
I'm not surprised you do not have this issue. From your description, you are NOT parking near commercial buildings that use highly reflective windows to meet local codes for energy guidelines. Now.. if you lived in the most notorious city in the world for this particular issue (London) you would not be so dismissive about the issue. In London, owners even come out to find that their entire mirror housings have been melted if they happened to park in a high reflected solar heat spot near one of these buildings. This London skyscraper can melt cars and set buildings on fire - NBC News

I would bet money that Texas has no such local codes requiring the use of energy efficient anything, simply because it is an oil producing state that likes consumers burning as much oil product as possible, even for power plant energy generation. :)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
My guess is Honda customer service will give you their standard, "Its operating or performing as designed - sorry but is there anything else I can help you with today?"
Depends on how you approach the dealer, or Honda. Piss and vinegar approach will most likely get you a firm straight arm.

Your expressed cynical attitude on the matter suggests you would visit with a chip on your shoulder and the dealer will see that and deny your request. :)

Being polite, and patient, while discussing remedy is much more likely to get you some "goodwill" warranty support... even though they are under no legal obligation to do so. when you need something from a business, and they are under no obligation to provide it, your approach has a great deal in influencing a business to give you some goodwill. It is in YOUR best interest.

Example: 2014 Honda Civic Mirror Plastic Melted

I left my car at the dealer. The dealer said that it is a good will warranty because they think there was a mirror or window in front of my car that reflected the sunshine leading to the overheating of the plastic. They said that a previous example occurred in Los Angeles, a Honda car was sitting in front of a big window of the building, and the surface temperature reached 160 degrees Fahrenheit that result in the plastic melting.
As they say.. you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts