Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CR-V LX 4wd 2.4L
13 Posts
OP, love it. Did you do the grill and badges on the back? Do it with the mirrors in place? I painted my steelies flat black and plan on painting the grill when I figure out how to remove it. I also want to Plastidip the window trim and badges.

·
Registered
2020 CRV Hybrid Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP, love it. Did you do the grill and badges on the back? Do it with the mirrors in place? I painted my steelies flat black and plan on painting the grill when I figure out how to remove it. I also want to Plastidip the window trim and badges.

I also did the front and back and all the badging! Did it with the mirrors in place. Admittedly a huge pain, but I don't know how to remove them so I got it done as is.

·
Registered
2020 CRV Hybrid Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not for me. I prefer the chrome contrast against the black. You're not concerned about resale value? You've really narrowed your buyers. But, if you're happy, it's fine.
What Mike said, plastidip can be peeled off by hand anytime. So no worries there. I can see why some would like the contrast of the chrome. I definitely didn't hate the look before but I'm happier with it blacked out. CRVs are so common where I live and this really makes mine stand out from the rest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not to steal OP's thunder, this thread has pictures showing what I did to the factory EX-L wheels and badges. 2 months have passed by and I still like the altered look. I respect people having different opinions though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man, this look is so sick. I have a black 2020 Hybrid LX, and this is exactly the type of look I'm looking for. If you don't mind me asking (I'm new to the whole modding out thing), how can I go about achieving this same look? Should I just purchase plastidip off amazon and then take it to a shop? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is what I used on our CR-V (the silver one):
This new paint is supposed to be more durable, blacker, and less sticky compared to PlastiDip. I was able to use a 20% coupon code found on the internet at that time (2 months ago). I haven't used PlastiDip to tell if this new paint is really superior but it has no issues so far and we've driven 3K+ miles with it.

I mentioned sticky as this type of paint needs to be cleaned differently. For example, you can't wipe the painted surface with a dry cloth as the lint will get stuck. There are some good videos on YouTube for how to apply paint and maintain the finish.

·
Registered
2020 CRV Hybrid Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, this look is so sick. I have a black 2020 Hybrid LX, and this is exactly the type of look I'm looking for. If you don't mind me asking (I'm new to the whole modding out thing), how can I go about achieving this same look? Should I just purchase plastidip off amazon and then take it to a shop? Thank you so much!
Hey bud. I searched a couple different options. It will depend on how much work you want to do yourself vs what you are willing to spend. You could do vinyl wrap I was quoted about $1k for a chrome delete with a wrap, then I'd have to pay to get the wheels painted which I was quoted about $400. A shop tied to my dealership quoted me $2k to plastidip my whole car... But I know a can of plastidip only costs $6 from Walmart. So I did it myself. Spent about $60 dollars on about 8 plastidip spray cans total. Some masking take and paper towel used for masking and cleaning. Then it took me about 40 hrs of work over a couple of days to get it all blacked out. Costs me about $100 total. Had help from a friend removing my wheels. Had to buy a torque screwdriver to take my roof rails off to plastidip them. It was quote a process but I had the time and I'm happy with the result. So if you have the time you can do yourself for cheap. YouTube videos on how to plastidip helped tremendously! Or if you can find a shop near you that will do it for a price that's fair to you then let them handle it. If they offer the service they should have their own plastidip or direct you on where they want you to buy it. They may use a spray gun vs if you do yourself you may just use the spray cans. Hope you find a solution that works for you!

I am by no means an expert at this look at these wip pictures:

·
Registered
2020 CRV Hybrid Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is what I used on our CR-V (the silver one):
This new paint is supposed to be more durable, blacker, and less sticky compared to PlastiDip. I was able to use a 20% coupon code found on the internet at that time (2 months ago). I haven't used PlastiDip to tell if this new paint is really superior but it has no issues so far and we've driven 3K+ miles with it.

I mentioned sticky as this type of paint needs to be cleaned differently. For example, you can't wipe the painted surface with a dry cloth as the lint will get stuck. There are some good videos on YouTube for how to apply paint and maintain the finish.
Now that I have experience applying plastidip I'd love to see the difference! Will keep this in mind for future projects.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey bud. I searched a couple different options. It will depend on how much work you want to do yourself vs what you are willing to spend. You could do vinyl wrap I was quoted about $1k for a chrome delete with a wrap, then I'd have to pay to get the wheels painted which I was quoted about $400. A shop tied to my dealership quoted me $2k to plastidip my whole car... But I know a can of plastidip only costs $6 from Walmart. So I did it myself. Spent about $60 dollars on about 8 plastidip spray cans total. Some masking take and paper towel used for masking and cleaning. Then it took me about 40 hrs of work over a couple of days to get it all blacked out. Costs me about $100 total. Had help from a friend removing my wheels. Had to buy a torque screwdriver to take my roof rails off to plastidip them. It was quote a process but I had the time and I'm happy with the result. So if you have the time you can do yourself for cheap. YouTube videos on how to plastidip helped tremendously! Or if you can find a shop near you that will do it for a price that's fair to you then let them handle it. If they offer the service they should have their own plastidip or direct you on where they want you to buy it. They may use a spray gun vs if you do yourself you may just use the spray cans. Hope you find a solution that works for you!

I am by no means an expert at this look at these wip pictures:
View attachment 141321
View attachment 141322
View attachment 141323
View attachment 141324
Thank you for the great and detailed response! I'm going to get into contact with some shops for a quote, can't wait to see the end result! And just to reiterate, the plastidip you performed was just for the chromes/grill, not the body?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.