Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Playing music from a USB thumb drive - 2019 CR-V EX

21K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  KXMK 
#1 ·
Just finished my first road trip in my CR-V. I loaded a small (1 GB) thumb drive with several folders of mp3 files. These were mp3 files that I've played successfully multiple times on my computer and mp3 players. Here's what I found. Most tracks played fine, but about 1/4th of the tracks did not play--instead the player would beep and say the track was not playable and skip it. But the other tracks (in the same album, converted to mp3 at the same time) played fine. Also, when I plug the thumb drive into my laptop or chromebook, they *all* play fine. It's only the Honda CR-V system that is having trouble playing them...

How can I fix this? What makes one track unplayable, while the next track works fine?

#2 ·
You need to read the Metadata (using your laptop) from one that works and compare it to one that does not work and see what the difference is in the way they are encoded.

Reactions: williamsji
#12 ·
Exactly. This root cause is probably something to do with DRM rights embedded in the meta data. When you rip tracks off a CD.. you can eliminate this in the ripping... but for downloaded music.. depending on the origin source.. DRMs may be embedded such that it causes the HeadUnit to skip them.

And the old meme of.. "I can play it fine on my computer, it is just the Honda won't play it" .. could be tied back to what DRMs are embedded within your computer that are transparent to you and thus you are unaware of them.

To the original poster.. first step is to always rule out the USB drive by using a different one with the exact same tracks on it.

#3 ·
They were all encoded the same way at the same time. And all play flawlessly on my other computers and devices. I'm playing the USB drive on my Windows computer now and it's fine. It's only Honda that can't play some of them. So I'm not sure how I can fix this...

I wish that I just had a 3.5 auxiliary line in port that I could use. But apparently the audio system on the 2019 CR-V does not have that option. :-/

#4 ·
Do they always beep on the same tracks in the same place? I ask because you might try and ruling out drive errors... Some computers may skip drive errors or unreadable spots more gracefully than the CRV. Try a different drive and only put some of the broken mp3s,?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know a whole lot about this issue, but I did have this problem when I used to use a USB flash drive in my cars. I found out that when I copied the files from the computer to the Flash drive, some music files that I had downloaded did not transfer the license files with them, and wouldn't play in the car, but would play fine on the computer, apparently the license files were located on the same hard drive on the computer... It has been several years since I used the Flash Drive in a car, but perhaps this is something to look into.

#7 ·
While it "shouldn't" make any difference, as GaryGygax noted it wouldn't hurt to try another flash drive. Over the years, I have found a lot of quirkiness with different car head units and MP3's and have settled in on a couple things that seem to help.

Use a fairly good quality flash drive. Use 8GB to 32GB in size You mentioned you had a 1GB drive which must be ancient. Format the drive to FAT32 (not NTFS). The MP3 file itself bit rate should be 256kbps or less. If you are creating the MP3 from a CD, FLAC, or other format - use constant bit rate (CBR) as opposed to Variable (VBR). In a perfect world, all the MP3's should be the same bit rate combination (ie: 192kbps CBR).

I have several flash drives I use in my 2019 CR-V everyday. They each have around 700 songs, all 192kbps CBR, created by the free MediaMonkey program (there a several good free conversion programs). ALl play fine.

Hope this helps.

#8 · (Edited)
[Jump down below to the edit I made to see the fix.]

Thanks for all the input. I just spent some time sitting in my car parked in the garage going through all the tracks.

First, it's not the drive. It happens even after I copy the album folders onto a different drive.

Also, all the tracks are playing correctly. What is happening is that the Honda audio system is falsely identifying "unreadable" phantom tracks in between tracks.

For example one of the folders is Simon & Garfunkel's "Live at Central Park". On my laptop, chromebook, mp3 player, it sees this on the drive:

1. Mrs. Robinson
2. Homeward Bound
3. America
etc...

HOWEVER, this is what the Honda Audio System shows:

1. Mrs. Robinson
2. "Unreadable" error message with annoying beeping.
3. Homeward Bound
4. "Unreadable" error message with annoying beeping.
5. America
etc...

It's incorrectly "identifying" and trying to play non-existent tracks.

This is happening with almost all folders. (And again, these are folders that all my other devices handle correctly.)

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any fix?

EDIT: I think I found what was causing the issue. The albums that were not playing correctly had hidden files. I guess all my other systems/devices have software that is "smart" enough to ignore these files, but not Honda's.

In any case, if you have this issue, look at the thumb drive on your computer and see if there are hidden files. Here is how to do that on a Windows 10 machine:

How to view hidden files and folders in Windows 10:
Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

(Sorry, if you have a Mac, you'll have to find a different solution. And BTW, these files were probably added by my Mac.)

#9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I just spent some time sitting in my car parked in the garage going through all the tracks.

First, it's not the drive. It happens even after I copy the album folders onto a different drive.

Also, all the tracks are playing correctly. What is happening is that the Honda audio system is falsely identifying "unreadable" phantom tracks in between tracks.

For example one of the folders is Simon & Garfunkel's "Live at Central Park". On my laptop, chromebook, mp3 player, it sees this on the drive:

1. Mrs. Robinson
2. Homeward Bound
3. America
etc...

HOWEVER, this is what the Honda Audio System shows:

1. Mrs. Robinson
2. "Unreadable" error message with annoying beeping.
3. Homeward Bound
4. "Unreadable" error message with annoying beeping.
5. America
etc...

It's incorrectly "identifying" and trying to play non-existent tracks.

This is happening with almost all folders. (And again, these are folders that all my other devices handle correctly.)

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any fix?
There should be a setting on the computer to "show hidden items/files". I know Windows 10 has this. I would see if these phantom files are visible and able to be deleted. Not sure about this setting on the Chromebook.

#10 · (Edited)
I'll offer a tip based on something I've been going through and just learned through trial and trial and trial and error and finally an understanding and solution.
I've been adding my music files...flac and apple lossless...to a usb flash drive to play on my home theatre's Marantz AVR but I could not get them to play...the avr kept showing "no connection"...I had one drive, 32gb, that would work but I need over 70gb...grrr...I tried everything I could think of and look up on Google/etc. to solve this problem.
I finally figured it out today...the drives that would not play were all formatted to "exFAT" rather than the FAT/FAT32 my avr requires...duh...I realized this when I decided to format one of the drives and could only format to exFAT or NTFS...huh didn't realize there was a new file system in town...guess it goes with the new 3.0 drives...I'll be googling it to learn...

It may not help in this instance but good to know...especially if a drive won't work in a car's system it may just be the file system...

Oh all the drives worked just fine via my TV usb connection but I wanted as pure a signal as I could get in my system...my avr is 5 years old...while the TV is just a couple of years old...that also nearly drove me crazy as to why it would work via my TV but not the avr.

WOW...I'm apparently way behind the times...it appears the exFAT system has been around since '06...It allows for files of 4gb and greater and 8tb whereas FAT32 and partitions greater than 32gb...now I understand

#16 ·
The solution to your problem, at least it was for me, is to download the free CleanMyDrive 2 from the Apple App Store onto you Mac. Run the program on your usb thumb drive and it will remove the hidden files that the Mac OS saves onto the drive between each song. Once removed my music plays without interruption. Hope this helps you.

#19 ·
Is it just me or is anyone else's CRV failing to "remember" USB playback settings after shut off and restart (no matter how short the time the CRV is off)? IMnshO, our 2019 Accord EXL has a significantly better infotainment system display and user interface, (especially when it comes to playing files on a USB drive) than our 2020 CRV EXL (plus the Accord doesn't "forget" settings like the CRV does either).

I listen to USB music/files about 99.999% when I'm driving (whatever vehicle). I have a 32gb Toshiba USB that works in the Accord, the CRV, and a 2019 Lexus. In the CRV, the mode/settings that I'm usually listening to USB is as follows - "random in folder" and playing from the Root directory. (Fwiw, I have a bunch of music in the Root directory, 4 subfolders and some of those have subfolders and subfolders - for a total of 33 folders other than Root. Apologies if I'm not using the correct terminology or the proper names of the buttons/options in the car, I'm not in the car right now).

The problem is that upon start/restart, the CRV will start playing the last song that was playing when the car was turned off (usually Root) and it will show "random in folder" selected/highlighted/lit BUT as soon as That song is over, the next file played could be from the Root directory OR Any of the other 33 folders/subfolders on the USB drive (and the song after that will be completely random throughout the entire USB again, and so on and so on).

In order for me to set the CRV to play the way I normally listen, Every Time I restart the car, I have to push one of "folder select" buttons (either forward or back - which will take me one "step" out of Root) and then the opposite "folder select" button to go back into Root. Then, I have to touch the "random in folder" button and Then the system will stay in Root and randomly play files within Root from then on (until shut off). IF I don't remember to do this before the end of the first song, the next song could be from Any of the 33 folders and I'd have to press a "folder select" button up to 16/17 times in order to get back to Root and then "random in folder" - which is often a PITA(!!) because the CRV isn't my daily driver, the Accord (which doesn't exhibit this behavior and which also doesn't have auto idle, so I don't have to deal with either issue) is...

#23 ·
Why use mp3? Poor sound quality due to file size. Buy a quality flash drive as mentioned.
Widows use the included music app. Same with apple computer.
We use flash drives and iPods with no problems. 3 flash drives(Windows) and 2 iPods.

#24 ·
Why use mp3? Poor sound quality due to file size. Buy a quality flash drive as mentioned.
Widows use the included music app. Same with apple computer.
We use flash drives and iPods with no problems. 3 flash drives(Windows) and 2 iPods.
Even if the CR-V could play FLAC files, the stock audio system is the weak link. Meaning, you would not be able to tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and any lossless format that were encoded from the same master.

#35 ·
Hi all,

I bought a 2021 CRV in January. Seeing the USB feature, I loaded up a 256g thumb drive with most of my music (around 30,000 songs). I found after the fact that the sound system in the CRV will only recognize and play from the first 700 songs. They are all properly tagged and readable files.

Is that a RAM limit on the sounds system and, if so, is it possible to have that upgraded so it will acknowledge a large song library?

Any input or info is appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.