Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All - I have a 1999 Honda CRV LX w/214,000 miles. His name is Liam. We bought him a month after our daughter was born, and he's been nothing but the best car. However, over the last two months, Liam has been suddenly stalling while driving. I've taken him to two different mechanics and have received two different diagnoses. One tech said it was an ignitor coil issue and the other said distributor. I'd love to hear what y'all think.

The first time Liam stalled on me, he completely shut down. I'm talking no power, no control, dash lit up like a Christmas tree - pretty scary. I had him towed home and took him to the shop where they changed his plugs, did a AC flush (check engine light had been on for months), and a few minor things. He drove fine after, but his CE light lit up about a week later.

The next time Liam stalled on me, he simply stopped running. I had steering and no major dashboard light-up. I sat for a few minutes and then tried to get him to start - he did. I drove to a parking lot and waited a few minutes and then made it the 20" minute drive home w/o incident.

The final time Liam stalled on me, again, he simply stopped running. I was driving ... and then I stopped. Just like the second time, I waited a while and he started back up. After that, I had him towed to the two different shops (including a Honda dealer) and now have him sitting in my driveway waiting to have something done to him.

I only use Liam for short commuter drives (less than 30" - 15 miles). So none of these stalls were after he'd be driving a long time. The first time he completely shut down, I was stopped and waiting to make a left hand turn. The second time, I was at a stop light. The third - driving - no stopping.

The first mechanic (independent) hinted that Liam might be ready for the trash heap. The second guy (Honda) offered to buy him from me for $600 to fix and give to his college-bound daughter. Obviously, I didn't like or accept either of these. I'm confident that Liam can be repaired. He's always been very well-cared for. I'd truly appreciate your suggestions on what you think Liam's problem might be. Also, if it's a fairly simple fix, I'd love to take a crack at repairing him myself. If you know of a useful video to assist me, that would be great.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
776 Posts
If it were my car (other not naming it), I'd find someone with a diagnostic code reader, plug it in, turn the ignition on and see what codes it spits out !! Craig

·
Registered
772 Posts
Don't give up, FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC. Two major things make a gasoline engine run, IGNITION/FUEL. Find someone who can TEST fuel pressure, I would not rule out the fuel pump either. And last, there's a chance you could have some bad contaminent in the gas tank. Nothing major here, just follow basics and find someone who can fix it rather than BUY IT. Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There was a recall for that model for defective ignition switch. Symptoms are sudden engine death, but restarts without problems. I agree the problem might also be the igniter or the high tension coil in the distributor.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Look at it this way - if his story about wanting it for his daughter and if he's a qualified mechanic, it tells me it's worth fixing and it's not a huge problem. He may just want to flip it, but either way it's worth fixing IMO. Craig

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Shuts down suddenly and the dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree are one of the signs of a faulty or worn ignition switch.
It could also be the main relay.
Buffalo4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts