Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 166,000 miles on it, it all started when we had the compliance bushings and the end links replaced, after they replaced the bushings and end links because of a front klunking noise the ride was so bad it felt like we had wooden wheels, now that it has been cold here in Ohio the struts have been squeaking when going over small to larger bumps, would replacing the struts assemblies help with the wooden wheel ride, I would get the assemblies so it would be easier for me to install instead of trying to find someone to change out the springs. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Many bushings under there.
Sway bar
Suspension arms
Struts have too mount bearings.
Not sure which ones have been replaced so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And with the struts squeaking sound like they could need replaced, from what I can figure, what's it sound like to you guys?

·
Registered
772 Posts
And with the struts squeaking sound like they could need replaced, from what I can figure, what's it sound like to you guys?
Welcome to the forum. In answer to your struts squeaking when cold, my CRV does it when cold but after driving it stops, @just over 218k miles, it still has the original front/rear struts but in no way does it affect the ride. I would lean to the tires, maybe a broken belt in one of them, which can be seen while spinning tire off ground. JMHO and good luck.
David g........................:rolleyes:

·
Everything in Moderation
7,609 Posts
If the 'compliance bushings' you replaced are the ones on the front trailing arms, they could have been installed incorrectly.

The rubber needs to be oriented in a certain way to work as designed.

++++++++++++

The OEM end links are sealed whereas the aftermarket ones (MOOG) have grease fittings that need to be lubricated on a regular basis.

Also, the front-end work you have done could have loosened the sway bar bushings. Luckily these are easy & cheap to replace. $4 - $7 at Rock Auto each side...

+++++++++++++

If your issues started when the suspension work was done, I would NOT suspect the struts failed. Does it pass the 'bounce test'? <--- push down, should only oscillate ONCE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
South wind that was my first was the tires, so I bought new tires and made sure that they only had 32 pounds of air in them,

Carbuff2, would the compliance bushings installed wrong really make a rough ride?

·
Registered
895 Posts
If the fasteners that hold that control arm in (the ones through the bushings) were fully tightened up with the vehicle off of the ground, that could cause some adverse effects. If tightened off of the ground, they will be torsioned when the vehicle is on the ground. Any suspension parts like that must be tightened with the vehicle fully on the ground. This way they are in their normal resting, and unstrained positions.

Now, I'm not sure if it would make the ride worse. But I know it will cause the parts to wear faster. But I would also assume that the ride quality would suffer seeing as the bushing is already loaded before the suspension flexes. A visual example would be to take, say, one of those big rubber pencil erasers. Hold it in each hand and twist it some until you feel some force. Imagine this being that bushing while the car is on the ground if it were fully tightened while in the air. Now, try to twist it a little further. It's pretty difficult to twist any further right? That's pretty much what is happening on the car, if they were installed that way.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,609 Posts
So here is Honda OEM Compliance bushings, the arrow has to point to a certain place on the control arm?
That is my understanding. There are some Topics on the Element Owners Club forum where these needed to be replaced again due to improper positioning. Do a SEARCH.

I have not replaced these in my own V...I simply packed the voids with 3M WindowWeld. ('Tuners' trick for stiffening bushing compliance)

I second BDub's comment about letting the suspension 'settle' before tightening any new suspension component. It would only stiffen a ride if it was so out of position that it's movement was restricted, tough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the great comments, I have decided to order and install the oem complete Lower Control Arm assembly that way I know that the bushing is installed right and I won't have to find someone to press in and out the new bushing, so just hand tighten the bolts and nuts holding on the lower control when it is on jack stands and then torque them after the wheels have been put back on, correct?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,609 Posts
so just hand tighten the bolts and nuts holding on the lower control when it is on jack stands and then torque them after the wheels have been put back on, correct?
Yes, but Best to drive the car slowly back and forth a few hundred feet to settle the bushings, then torque to spec.

When they assemble new Corvettes, they drive the cars with loose suspensions over a set of mild bumps to settle the suspension. They then park the cars over a pit, where a worker can tighten everything in situ.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I usually set it on the ground then bounce it a few good times. That will work if you don't have the room to drive it around. Open a door, stand in it, and make some jumping motions to get it bouncing good. Would be best if you do that on level ground though. Should settle everything about as well as it can be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts