Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. new to the forum.i just got my 1st crv..09 ex 141000..not sure of past service history so will my maintenance minder tell me if i need spark plugs?.or should i just replace them if i think its necessary? .thanks

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
You could always get a Carfax. Runs $40 and will give at least partial service history. Mine actually was quite complete. If you do, you will need to print it out, as it is a one-time purchase. Mine showed dates, services performed all the way back to original dealer purchase.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When you see a 4 pop in the MM, you are due for plugs. The first occurrence is typically right around 100K. If I remember, my CRV was at 99K and my Pilot at 104K. Pull the plugs and take a look. If they are clean and look good (no oil, soot or fouling) then you may be good to go. Check the gap before putting them back in. For the price of plugs and not having any idea of past maintenance, I would replace them and do a driveline fluid change (oils, coolant, PS fluid) Take a look at your brakes for wear as well. Mainly to see if they are wearing evenly and to see if they need serviced or will need service in the near future. At 141K, I would put a brake fluid flush on my schedule as well.

For the home mechanic, you can most likely do all this in a morning for around 100-150 bucks for plugs and replacement fluids. If you take it in, you are probably looking at leaving it for the day and around 7hrs labor plus parts, shop fees, etc.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
If you're going to change all the fluids don't forget the rear differential if your have an AWD CR-V.
The correct fluid for the rear differential is Honda Dual Pump Fluid II, there is no substitute.

·
Registered
340 Posts
hello all. new to the forum.i just got my 1st crv..09 ex 141000..not sure of past service history so will my maintenance minder tell me if i need spark plugs?.or should i just replace them if i think its necessary? .thanks
Plug change happens a little after 100k. If it's not showing now it won't for a good long time. I would pop the plugs out and inspect them.
If they were replaced when they were supposed to they should look fairly new. If not, replace them with OEM plugs.

The MM doesn't monitor the health of the plugs, just tells you to change them after a certain amount of miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all very much..i already got the oil changed and i'm gonna do a brake job and flush fluids(except diff cause its a fwd)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i got the carfax..02/23/2012 34,428
30,000 mile service performed
Wiper(s) replaced
Spark plug(s) replaced
Air filter replaced
Exhaust system checked
Brakes checked
Fluids checked
Oil and filter changed
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Engine valves adjusted
Tire condition and pressure checked
Tires rotated
Steering/suspension checked
04/15/2013 44,117
Engine checked
Steering/suspension checked
Four wheel alignment performed
Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
Transmission fluid changed
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
Tire(s) balanced
Tires rotated
Automatic transmission serviced.
other than that all i can see is regular oil changes. so its been about 100000 miles .guess its time to do some work.:cool:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
With used CR-Vs, as others mentioned, it is good to start with our own baseline by replacing fluids, changing the plugs, etc. The NGKs for this model don't cost much. Just take care not to over-tighten the plugs.

Our blue '09 had around maybe 110k when we bought it, but when I pulled the plugs on them back in May of this year (prior to a road trip), they looked old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with the other posters. Change all fluids including a brake fluid flush and differential fluid replacement and coolant flush. You might suck all the steering fluid that you can get out of the reservoir and refill it with new. This is easily done with a gravy baster. The power steering fluid is probably the most neglected fluid in cars. Do at 100K and then every 60K. It is cheap insurance against steering system failure. If you are in a winter salted road area check the brakes for corrosion and lube the slider pins and scrape the rust from under the pad retainers. Good luck. These are good cars but they do have to be maintained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok got pretty much everything flushed..now plugs..ngk?..getting only about 16 mg..think its the plugs?..fuel system has been cleaned too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts