Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite a while now, I've recommended using Zaino Brothers car polish as it's been great to use. But, since it also requires ordering it and having it shipped, it seems it has slowed me down in getting that first full clay, scrub, wash, polish done this year.

So, while I'm not converting just yet... what are some other high-end polishes or waxes you have tried and had success with?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,530 Posts
I'm a big believer in clay bar cleaners. These only take 30 minutes to use on a freshly washed auto. Then it's Wax Time.

I'm currently using Griot's Best-of-Show wax for protection. This is a hard, long-lasting product, especially when applied twice in two weeks. Lasts 6 months, easy.

I recently got a sample bottle of Rain-Ex Fast Wax, a spray-on quick wax. It can be applied wet. Not only does it go on FAST, it won't turn the unpainted plastic of my CR-V white like the Griot's Carnuba product does. I spray it on a towel for a quick shine after drying the car with a shammy...no water spots and this way it doesn't get on the glass.

As with any product (including Zaino, which is excellent) you should NEVER rub hard on any painted surface, no matter what you are doing: washing, waxing, or buffing. Turn the media frequently too. This minimizes swirl marks.

My V is new, but one of my cars is 19 years old and still looks VERY glossy using the above techniques. People marvel at the finish, which I am quite proud of.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have used many different waxes over the years. If you stick with major brands, they are all good. Some last longer than others. But I generally do that job three or four times a year anyway.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm heading in to the store tomorrow to pick up a clay bar...probably ordering another round of Zaino too as they have some new product now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clay bars are essential if you have a dark colored vehicle.I recently waxed my '86 Corvette (silver/black) with Black Magic liquid and I must say I was totally impressed.It's a bit of a bitch to get off as it drys fast,but it's not abrasive at all ,leaves a nice shine,is plastic and rubber friendly and is only 7 bucks a bottle.Needless to say I'll be using on it my black '06 EX very soon.Don't be fooled by price, some of the crappiest waxes I've used are the pricier ones.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used to think that dragging clay over the car sounded crazy but after trying it I was amazed. It doesn't need done very often (I'd say less than once a year but I'm not expert) but it is a great starting point for the major cleanup. It is also very easy as the clay just glides over the paint.

I couldn't count the number of waxes I've tried. (I just call any coating I put on the car a Wax so that includes the 'sealers')

The latest one I'm using is the Pinnacle brand. It is expensive but I love the look and it lasts. I've used the zaino and it is impressive but I like the depth of the Carnuba and it takes a lot of layers of the zaino to get close to that. I've found the Pinnacle seems to last longer but I do go over it with their spray wax/cleaner quite often after washing which adds some protection back to it. Both the Pinnacle and the Zaino are easy to apply and remove. Plus last Christmas my wife got me the buffer that everyone on the EOC and ROC had been raving about so it makes it really easy.

I've also done the Klasse under the Pinnacle that has been mentioned on some of the boards. The Klasse can be more difficult to remove if not done just right.

Since different waxes have different types of shines it is all personal preference. And they will vary how they look on different finishes and colors. Some cars and colors lend themselves more to the deep shine and some to other types of shines.

-Trevor

·
Registered
178 Posts
Normally I use Maguirs - it's easy to find, has a complete line & not terribley expensive. I have used Zymol & Autofom (I think it's called). The Autofom held true to its claim of less static & that doesn't (seem to at least) draw excess dirt & dust to the paint. Once I did get it dusty/dirty, it wipped off quite easily.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Step 1 (If needed) 3M Perfect it III Swirl remover.
Step 2 Meguires NXT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Step 1 (If needed) 3M Perfect it III Swirl remover.
Step 2 Meguires NXT
Perfect-It is very mild. I normally use that to get reduce yellowing and remove gunk from the headlight housing. Great way to clear them up.

For heavy swirls polish with Megs# 83 (DACP) then Megs 80 (Speed Glaze). Otherwise #80 is just fine. Follow up with Megs#7 (Show Car Glaze) and Megs# 26 (Hi-Tech Yellow Wax) or P21s Carnauba. Take your time and it'll work wonders.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2409

I'll be taking another class at their Irvine facility in October :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've used Klasse for 4 years now on a red car (Integra), dark green (Accord, and 2 white (325 and CR-V). It works great on all and is easy to apply and remove & last quite a while.

I ordered it online...you think it is expensive, but it last forever. I think it is cheaper than buyine carnuba wax when all is said and done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts