Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of suffering along with less than optimal headlights, I bought
a Mothers kit with the drill-powered polishing ball and cleaned them up.
One was a bit more clouded than the other, but both cleaned up beyond
my expectations.

The kit I purchased, however, did not include a sealer to prevent the same
from happening again. I'd like to buy something to seal the surface but would
like to hear from actual users of sealers to get a little insight.

Have a preference or a story you'd care to share ?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Actually, if you don't re-seal them somehow, you will be committing yourself to an every-6-month polishing regimen. Ultraviolet rays will cloud the unprotected plastic in short order.

I've linked to this video before:

In addition to painting the plastic with UV clear-coat as in the video, I recently received this tip from a detailer friend (which I have yet to verify):

He says that heating the plastic uniformly to ~150F. after polishing will make the surface less prone to clouding. The heat 're-crystallizes' the plastic somehow, then all you need to do is wax. I'll be trying this in my next bout with my daughter's Fit headlamps.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Here's another mention of a Meguiar's protective coating. Has anyone used it? (Look in the SHOW MORE for product-specific links)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Actually, if you don't re-seal them somehow, you will be committing yourself to an every-6-month polishing regimen. Ultraviolet rays will cloud the unprotected plastic in short order.
That was not my experience after polishing the headlights on my 1999 CR-V.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
I didn't seal the plastic on my daughter's Fit (because she was considering an HR-V due to a clutch foot injury) and that plastic DEFINITELY starts to cloud up within 6 months.

Mind you, its not to the point of diminishing light output, but I can see it because of my OCD. :snork:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Get and use the 3m system. Puts mothers system to shame.

And dont seal, just go over them once a year with the fine polish. Sealing causes 10x more issues than it fixes unless sealed in a dust free clean air controlled environment. Trust me been down that road and explored many different headlight kits. 3M full kit, masking tape (or remove headlights) and a cordless drill.

I also wet wax (wax you use while varnish still wet from wash) which helps but doesn't fully seal so it doesnt cause issues of having to remove it when you realize you have to redo the headlights again anyway. Also protects from road salt better than sealer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
Rustoleum makes a spray Clear Gloss Acrylic "paint" that has a UV protectant. After I wet sanded my 2004 headlights about three years ago I misted the clear gloss paint over them. Three years still clear ( no hazing).

Use painters tape and newspaper to protect you paint from ber spray. Do not apply the clear Gloss paint too close or too thick, it will orange peel. Best to "Mist" a few coats and wait between coats for the paint to dry.

I have used this on several other vehicles including Toyotas without any issues.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Rustoleum makes a spray Clear Gloss Acrylic "paint" that has a UV protectant.
Correct, that item is recommended in the procedure in Post 3.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Rustoleum makes a spray Clear Gloss Acrylic "paint" that has a UV protectant. After I wet sanded my 2004 headlights about three years ago I misted the clear gloss paint over them. Three years still clear ( no hazing).

Use painters tape and newspaper to protect you paint from ber spray. Do not apply the clear Gloss paint too close or too thick, it will orange peel. Best to "Mist" a few coats and wait between coats for the paint to dry.

I have used this on several other vehicles including Toyotas without any issues.
I'll have to give this stuff a shot.

Regular headlight sealers you get with kits and such SUCK.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
You may need to wet-sand the painted lenses afterwards to make them look 'factory'. That increases restoration time quite a bit, but the clear coat is worthwhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts