• Sometimes

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a love/hate relationship with ECON mode. When I have it enabled, I improve fuel efficiency and prevent myself from speeding(because it reduces power/speed), but I also hate it because sometimes I hate having to step on the accelerator so much in order to gain my desired speed. When I disable it, most of the time I find myself speeding(lol) and have to slow down, although I love how quickly I can hit my desired speed when ECON mode is off. What are you experiences with it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with ECON mode. When I have it enabled, I improve fuel efficiency and prevent myself from speeding(because it reduces power/speed), but I also hate it because sometimes I hate having to step on the accelerator so much in order to gain my desired speed. When I disable it, most of the time I find myself speeding(lol) and have to slow down, although I love how quickly I can hit my desired speed when ECON mode is off. What are you experiences with it?
I just got the car 2 days ago. On testdrive, speed limit on road was 35mph, I didn't even notice when I reached that 45mph that fast. At that time ECON was off. I turned it on yesterday and am yet to see any difference in gas mileage, but i see that i am not speeding, so this saves me a ticket. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I did a bunch of experimenting on my 2013 CRV and 2014 Civic and have found no difference in MPG's with ECON on and off. So, I just keep it off the entire time because it performs better when it's off. I don't have a 2017 CRV but that's just what I observed with my vehicles.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Like Coastie05 said, I found no benefit from ECON in my 2012. I have had it turned off since the first week of ownership. It's a dog with it on !

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would only use it if I was on an extended drive on an interstate when I didn't need air conditioning. I would rather be comfortable than save a couple of miles per gallon. Even with ECON mode off this CR-V gets better gas mileage than either of my other Hondas.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't like the 'feel' of the car with ECON on. No fun at all. It's not worth trying to save a few drops of gas.

·
Registered
100 Posts
P.S. My number of total posts has dropped - It doesn't show my signature any more and I can't vote on this poll. What's going on??

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I drive pretty well so I don't personally have a use for the Econ mode. I think for some who lack a feel for a car that it might help. There are those people, I know as I have done many data recordings with them driving and had discussions with them over what they were doing compared to what they thought they were doing. Its pretty amazing how disconnected some are from what the machine is doing. For them the Econ mode works. If you are a thoughtful driver in tune with the machine you probably don't need it that much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Makes the ride smoother but I turn if off when I need response in fast traffic.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
No. I tried it a couple of times, but could stand the feel of the car with it on. The wife uses it all the time in her 2015 CRV and when I drive it, it doesn't bother me. Weird.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't seen an increase in mpg with ECON turned on, so I leave it off all the time now. (And I wish Sport mode was a button, like ECON, and not a shift lever position.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
As someone else mentioned, I use it when cruising on the interstate,

·
Registered
974 Posts
For me, the 1.5L throttle is pretty wonky on take-off and econ mode seems to lessen it ever so sightly. The pedal is very non-linear, seems abrupt with very small pressure on take-off and then it softens. Even cruise control seems to lack refinement with noticeable herky-jerkyness. I can't tell if it's the way they control the turbo or the CVT action making it act that way.

I don't think econ mode does anything more than add more resolution to the bottom-end of the throttle as it's a pretty instantaneous change on the pedal/vehicle acceleration. When I need to step on it, econ mode has some good get-up and go. I just need to push the throttle down further to get there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had this on my previous car and saw no difference in gas mileage whether city or highway driving. The only difference was the anemic performance and poor acceleration. I tried it on my new CR-V and was not surprised it was a terrible thing too.
I am really curious to know what is supposed to be gained. The manual is not very clear. The engine and transmission software is manipulated for the ECON mode.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'll use it at low speeds since it cuts the throttle and i don't have to worry about being so light on the gas. My best mpg has been with it off though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had this on my previous car and saw no difference in gas mileage whether city or highway driving. The only difference was the anemic performance and poor acceleration. I tried it on my new CR-V and was not surprised it was a terrible thing too.
I am really curious to know what is supposed to be gained. The manual is not very clear. The engine and transmission software is manipulated for the ECON mode.
When it is enabled, it takes more effort to his your desired speed in a timely manner vs when it is off. I think the idea behind it is lets say you have it enabled, depress the pedal and it takes you 10 seconds to hit 40 MPH, it will take you 6-7 seconds when it is off. When it is enabled, it will keep the RPMs lower to hit 40 MPH, when it is disabled it will keep RPMs higher. I'm guessing the idea behind it is to keep overall RPM lower to hit your desired speed to improve fuel economy, although if you're light on the pedal you can achieve the same effect without enabling it. I could be wrong about all of this but thats what I get from it when it is enabled.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts