Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 CRV-EX that I am having some engine issues with, but I have no clue what the source of the problem is. It started with the check engine light coming on, so I took it to O'Reilly's to have them test it. I can't remember exactly what the code was, but he said it was a "lean mixture" causing the check engine light to come on. After looking it up, he said the three most common causes were the MAF sensor, O2sensor, or spark plugs.

It was recommended by a friend to try B12 Chemtool to clean out the system, but that didn't work. Next up, I took the MAF sensor out, cleaned it, and reinstalled. This didn't appear to do anything either, and I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know what to do next.

The main symptoms of my CRV are that when it's idling in Park, it jumps between 600-1500 rpms. When I put it in drive, the best way to describe it is that it feels jumpy. It idles really hard, and the whole car starts shaking. This usually happens around 600-1000 rpm's. If I'm stopped at a light, I have to give it a little gas to get it up to 1000 rpm's, and it stops shaking. When I'm driving, I can't notice anything odd with the engine, it's only when idling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do these symptoms sound familiar to anybody? And if so, is this something I might be able to remedy myself, or would I be better off taking my car in to a mechanic? Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most likely was p0171 (system lean) It generally means there is air entering the engine that the computer does not know about. Look at the boot between the air filter and throttle body for cracks or tears. If that is ok look for other small diameter hoses (vacuum lines) that are damaged or pulled off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem. I figured that I could throw parts at it $100 at a time, or take it to a mechanic. I got lucky and found a retired Honda mechanic that runs his own shop. He "smoke" tested it and replaced a small hose with a piece that he had on hand. He charged me 2 hours, $117. He did say that I probably would not have found it without the smoke test. The hose was down under and the hole was on the backside of it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I agree. Probably a vacuum leak. Have you recently had the air box opened up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had this problem on my 2008 CR-V. I also found that after warmuo, the short term fuel trim would go way high, like 26%, when it should be zero at idle.
Cleaned the MAP sensor. No change. Ended up finding a hole in the PCV valve hose. Replaced it with a piece of fuel hose I had laying around and now all is well. Hope you get lucky too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
rseery, what's the current mileage on your 2008 CR-V, on which you just replaced the PCV hose? I'm having a bit of idle shake also. Just curious if your mileage is close to mine.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts