Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm suddenly getting 17-18.5 around town where I was getting 20-22 with no highway driving.
Driving habits and or terrain haven't changed; not running a/c any more often....etc etc

I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor and no change.
The car has 130k miles and a slight exhaust leak which it's always had...I suspect it to be the "donut gasket"
Any thoughts on this?
Cat converter?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I replaced the plugs and installed a K&N air filter about 10k miles ago...I keep the filter very clean. I change my oil every 5k using mobil 1 synthetic...Anything else I should do?
I'd do a valve adjustment if you haven't already done so. That can affect fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
Throw out the K&N. Those things let in more dirt than normal filters and the oil can damage the MAF.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Check your timing and make sure your PCV valve is OK.
Do a compression check and a vacuum test for possible hints.
Install a real time OBD2 reader that also gives you a lot of other readings, such as timing advance, O2 voltages, instant mpg, etc.
One I use is the Ultra-gauge wired. It is around $70 and it also reads codes and resets them. Look it up at: http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/.
There are quite a few good ones out there.
Is that gasket leak ahead of the cat?
Hopefully the plugs you put in were the proper NGK plugs.
Does it idle smooth and seem to have good power?
Make sure the air tube from the filter to the air throttle body doesn't have any obstruction in it.
Did you have the poor mpg before you switched to that K&N air filter?\
Look up on how to check the catalytic converter. It can be checked with an infra-red thermometer.
After driving for awhile, stop and check your wheels to see if perhaps one of your brakes is dragging. If so, that wheel hub should be pretty hot, compared to the others.
Buffalo4
PS: Read the links below these posts under the Similar Threads header.

·
Registered
772 Posts
FYI, the gas we are forced to use, has a lot of ethanol, not only that, but there is a Summer/Winter blend that is alternated as seasons change. This is our only source, therefore you may notice a difference in mileage. You might try some premium over the regular grade which certainly wont hurt. JMHO and good luck.
David g.......:cool:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
If the low mpg persists, it is possible that your primary (upstream) O2 sensor is not working as it should.
Sometimes a 'slow' O2 sensor will not trigger a 'code'.
Find a way to test it. If you do decide to replace it, use a Denso and not a Bosch, according to many who experienced problems with the Bosch.
You might even want to try adding a can of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus or SeaFoam or similar to your tank of gas according to the instructions.
Best of luck,
Buffalo4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts