Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to this forum and wanted to ask everyone a question! I have a 2018 CRV LX, I really only drive city miles in Atlanta, GA, and noticed I am getting about 18/MPG! This is so low..Even though I do drive aggressive (Nyer here) and have the A/C on ( its damn hot out!) I feel like it should be closer to 21-22 MPG..has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,526 Posts
I always recommend to folks who drive in the city to see how the car does on a trip.

Head out of town, fill up on the way out. Note mileage.

Drive at least 100 miles without stopping (interstate or secondary rural roads).

On the way back, fill up again and note mileage and gallons used. Divide distance traveled by gallons. (The in-car readout can be inaccurate.)

Post back with the results!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hi All,

New to this forum and wanted to ask everyone a question! I have a 2018 CRV LX, I really only drive city miles in Atlanta, GA, and noticed I am getting about 18/MPG! This is so low..Even though I do drive aggressive (Nyer here) and have the A/C on ( its damn hot out!) I feel like it should be closer to 21-22 MPG..has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
In addition to Carbuff2's excellent advice.. I have one more to offer you.

Get used to watching and adjusting to your instantaneous mileage readout on your instrument display, and/or make use of the colored fuel economy band at the top of your instrument panel. Why? Because city driving and an aggressive foot very definitely could be your root cause here... and with some simple adjustments to your driving style.. you can easily improve that by several miles per gallon.

Personally, I found similar results as yours in the early months of owning my 2017 Touring. So I began to monitor my instantaneous MPG bar.... and learned two key things about my almost all city short trip driving: 1) ECO mode was making things worse, so I turned it off (it was eating fuel when accelerating from a stop and in ECO mode.. the engine is more sluggish.. which simply encouraged me to put more foot on it). 2) I learned that a quicker acceleration in non-ECO mode from a stop brought me to speed sooner, and hence my foot could ease way back on the accelerator sooner.. and I would see much better instantaneous mpg sooner and for longer periods of time between lights. Basically.. I found and then habitualized methods to improve my fuel economy without sacrificing driving performance around town.

Now days.. my mpg averages low 20s in my almost all in town driving... and on a long road trip.. I see the more normal low 30s mpgs results.

And.. watch those tires for correct tire pressure too, and adjust and keep them at proper pressure at least monthly. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks!
how are y ou coming up w/those #s may i ask? if you are trusting the calculations on your display, you need to reset it when you fill the tank. i have mine set to automatically do that each time I fill up to get a more accurate calculation.
and yes, after sitting in a running vehicle for 45 mins waiting on someone, definitely lowered my mpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts