Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new 2015 Honda CR-V EX-L. The vehicle drives well, handles well and performs well ... with the notable exception of hands-free calling. The audio quality is awful, both for me and for the person on the other end of the line, and especially when the vehicle is in motion. Even at a standstill, quality is poor. The in-car audio options (radio, XM, iPod, Bluetooth) are all perfectly fine - not audiophile quality, but I knew that much going in. The problem is only with phone calls. For what it's worth, I'm using an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.3

I've seen threads where it's recommended that users "Reset all settings" on their iphone. I haven't tried this yet but I will. Are there any other recommendations on how to address this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you have another mobile phone that you can pair and try to determine if it is the phone or the head unit? I have an ExL with an iPhone 6plus and have never had any issues. Also, is it possible that you might be in a lower signal area? How was your experience with your previous car? Hopefully you will be able to figure out a solution. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have another mobile phone that you can pair and try to determine if it is the phone or the head unit? I have an ExL with an iPhone 6plus and have never had any issues. Also, is it possible that you might be in a lower signal area? How was your experience with your previous car? Hopefully you will be able to figure out a solution. Good luck.
I tried pairing my wife's phone (iPhone 5s) - no improvements. Also signal quality is fine and this problem plagues me wherever I go. I traded in a 2010 Ford Escape to get the CR-V and never once had an issue with the Escape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem on my previous CRV (2012 EX). Like you I checked with various phones and all had the same results. As it was still under warranty Honda UK suggested that the problem was the microphone unit of the hands-free system. It was like that from new. Dealer swapped the unit (5 minute task) with a new one and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: I was finally able to schedule time for a dealer to look at this issue today. It turns out in the 2015 CR-V, the Bluetooth hands free microphone is located in the video screen on the dash and not in the overhead console between the map lights. The dealer didn't know this going in, told me they couldn't "verify my concern" during a brief test drive (nonsense) and was unable to address a problem that they couldn't properly diagnose.

At this point, I think I'm gonna trade it in. Poor bluetooth phone quality, an awkward integration of iPhone and hands-free features, vibration. What a disappointing experience.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hopefully they'll fix it, or figure out what setting on the iphone could be a factor.

The quality has been fantastic and I get a lot of calls while driving. The caller can't tell that i'm on a speakerphone. Even CRV to CRV (we have two 2015's in the family, both on hands free w/BT), it sounds great. We are both using Samsung Galaxy S6 phones, but it shouldn't matter much if it is an Apple or Android based product. (unless the phone is somehow using its own internal mic instead of utilizing bluetooth to access the mic in the car, or something strange? You could try making a call and handling the phone to see if the caller can hear you doing so, to determine if it is using the wrong mic - I suppose)

Hang in there. If we are having such good results, you can too, when the dealer figures out the cause. Have you tried adjusting the volume a bit (is it cranked all the way up, by any chance?)

Good luck. Please let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 2015 CRV a year ago. For the first 6 months or so, the Bluetooth was great. Since then when I try to use voice commands, it NEVER works now! Was told by my dealer that the iPhone 6 ( my phone) has had several updates and Honda technology has not kept up with Apple.
Is this true??

·
Banned
806 Posts
I have a 2012 and have never had an issue. I have an iPhone 6. And my phone is up to date on it's updates. Nobody ever realizes I'm in the car unless they ask and have all commented that the hands free sounds very clear. Maybe try un-pairing your phone and re-pairing it to see if it fix's anything. Maybe ask the dealer if you can ride along with them to see the results they are getting first hand.

·
Banned
806 Posts
UPDATE: I was finally able to schedule time for a dealer to look at this issue today. It turns out in the 2015 CR-V, the Bluetooth hands free microphone is located in the video screen on the dash and not in the overhead console between the map lights. The dealer didn't know this going in, told me they couldn't "verify my concern" during a brief test drive (nonsense) and was unable to address a problem that they couldn't properly diagnose.

At this point, I think I'm gonna trade it in. Poor bluetooth phone quality, an awkward integration of iPhone and hands-free features, vibration. What a disappointing experience.
Page 284 in your owners manual says it is in the overhead console between the map lights.

Edit: I do see where the screen has a microphone as well. Page 313.

Do you have one display or two? If you have one your microphone is between the map lights. Page 284. If you have two displays it is in the screen. And you have two microphones. Page 313.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have an iphone 6+ and a 2012 V LX and had no trouble with the factory head unit and bluetooth making calls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both my dealer and Honda Technical Support told me to unpair/repair the phone, upgrade software, etc. etc. It never made a difference. I had a fundamentally flawed unit and Honda would NOT address it. I purchased an aftermarket JVC unit, had it installed, and things are working fine. Thoroughly disappointed in Honda's handling of this case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a brand new 2017 CRV Touring which I am using with an iPhone 7 - the bluetooth audio quality is very poor - sople complain about the quality of my voice, implying an issue with the microphone in the vehicle. As well, I have experienced the following - after a few minutes on a call, the quality of the call deteriorates - because ratty, breaks up, etc. Changing from handsfree to speakphone and back, fixes the rattiness, but then it comes back again after a few minutes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a brand new 2017 CRV Touring which I am using with an iPhone 7 - the bluetooth audio quality is very poor - sople complain about the quality of my voice, implying an issue with the microphone in the vehicle. As well, I have experienced the following - after a few minutes on a call, the quality of the call deteriorates - because ratty, breaks up, etc. Changing from handsfree to speakphone and back, fixes the rattiness, but then it comes back again after a few minutes.

This post should be in the 2017 forum section.

·
Administrator
3,351 Posts
I have a 16, and nobody has reported problems hearing me. Except my hard of hearing mother in law...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts