Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now driving at night is so much safer with these PIAA 530 driving lights installed. They fill in the dark voids around every turn especially on unlit country roads.
Mounting them was a challenge but after designing some angled adapter blocks and drilling some holes, they fit snugly under the bumper.
The PIAA kit was high quality and came with it’s own wiring harness, but I opted for a relay triggered from the high beam circuit for easy operation.
So the CRV low beams are good with the stock fog lights, but when you hit the high beams, the fogs turn off and these driving lights come on and give you what the CRV was missing in high beam mode.
The lights came with a cover that had the big PIAA logo covering nearly half the lens, but I trimmed it out for a cleaner beam and nicer look.
What do you ya’ll say?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing! It's a good idea you have wired up a Relay as these will give more juice going to the lights. I hope you used a Relay with resistor or a Diode protected relay to prevent feedback to the lighting system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing! It's a good idea you have wired up a Relay as these will give more juice going to the lights. I hope you used a Relay with resistor or a Diode protected relay to prevent feedback to the lighting system.
I used a standard 5 pin relay energized by the high beam wire at the headlight. The setup has been working for about 5 months now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You say that you are triggering them with a relay off the high beam feed. Did you disable the DRL function (which applies approximately 6 volts effective thru PWM to the high beam filament)? If not, your relay coil is also seeing this when your headlights are off. Probably no biggie. It might short-life it a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You say that you are triggering them with a relay off the high beam feed. Did you disable the DRL function (which applies approximately 6 volts effective thru PWM to the high beam filament)? If not, your relay coil is also seeing this when your headlights are off. Probably no biggie. It might short-life it a bit.
Now that’s interesting! I gotta check that out a little further. Thanks!
I thought it was the low beam circuit for the daytime mode.
How would I disable the DRL function?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't know if it was a federal thing for fogs on only with low beam? Thought is if foggy out you want low beams, not high beams on. Took option away from fogs with high beam or any time other than low beam on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know if it was a federal thing for fogs on only with low beam? Thought is if foggy out you want low beams, not high beams on. Took option away from fogs with high beam or any time other than low beam on.
Those are driving lights I installed, not fog lights. You can get the 530 PIAA in either fog or driving styles.
They only come on when the high beam is selected. Works great, lights up the road.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Those are driving lights I installed, not fog lights. You can get the 530 PIAA in either fog or driving styles.
They only come on when the high beam is selected. Works great, lights up the road.
My post was in response to modifying fogs to come on with a switch as mentioned above by 'ilovemyhonda'.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Now that’s interesting! I gotta check that out a little further. Thanks!
I thought it was the low beam circuit for the daytime mode.
How would I disable the DRL function?
On my kid's 2013, the high beam filament serves as the DRL. I assume all of the 2012 - 2014 with the crappy single bulb per side system share this feature.

Thinking about it, I don't think I'd worry too much. If the applied voltage is below the threshold to cause the relay to latch closed, there's probably also negligible current flow as well. Most of it likely is routed thru the lower resistance bulb filament (two resistors in parallel). One way to tell: Is the DRL still lit at about the same output as before?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts