Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I came across a not-so-horrible wired alternative to a hands-free bluetooth system that I've not seen mentioned before, so I thought I'd post what I have rigged up. I got the following adapter from Verizon for Verizon phones, although I can't imagine it not working with any brand. At any rate, I've been told places like Best Buy may have generic versions of the adapter.

What I got was called "Stereo Adapter 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm with Call Answer/End Button" from Verizon:

It has a list price of $12.99, but I've been quoted prices of either $4.99 or $9.99 (I paid $5). (Part #SHS25-35MMCAE2)

At any rate, this adapter plugs into the phone, then has a hole for a normal 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stereo cable that plugs into the CR-V's Aux Input. (I've seen the 3.5mm/3.5mm cable talked about on these forums, available from Radio Shack, or anywhere, for really cheap). The Verizon cable has a mic on it (along with a call answer button), which can clip to anywhere in the car (I ended up attaching it to the seatbelt at my chest). With my phone, the phone itself continues to ring, but all the rest of the sounds will play through the Aux Input and the car's speakers.

In the few test calls I've done, everyone has said the sound quality is fine and there's no feedback or echo at all. Long-term, I'd still really enjoy having built-in bluetooth, but for the low low price of $5 (I already had the other cable) this is a great budget alternative!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great idea, and I like the simplicity but it sadly wouldn't work for me. With my LG Dare it does NOT have the old 2.5MM jack but a 3.5MM stereo headset jack (of course, the headset is sold SEPERATELY). I'd love to have a cable or adapter for THAT so I don't have to worry about Bluetooth to connect my phone to my car for a hands free solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great idea, and I like the simplicity but it sadly wouldn't work for me. With my LG Dare it does NOT have the old 2.5MM jack but a 3.5MM stereo headset jack (of course, the headset is sold SEPERATELY). I'd love to have a cable or adapter for THAT so I don't have to worry about Bluetooth to connect my phone to my car for a hands free solution.
The Dare has a 3.5mm jack? Dang! I have a Voyager, but had forgotten that the jack size was different on that phone. I just did a quick search on the verizonwireless site, and believe it or not, they sell two different 2.5mm to 3.5 cables (including the one above) when you search for Dare accessories. Well ain't that a hoot?!

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Dare has a 3.5mm jack? Dang! I have a Voyager, but had forgotten that the jack size was different on that phone. I just did a quick search on the verizonwireless site, and believe it or not, they sell two different 2.5mm to 3.5 cables (including the one above) when you search for Dare accessories. Well ain't that a hoot?!
I first bought the Voyager, and bought an adapter to use it with the AUX jack on my CR-V (man, I LOVE that little jack). I liked everything about the Voyager except it's poor size.

NOW, with my Dare I'm beginning to hate it. It has a BAD habit of "unlocking" the screen and calling random people. The music audio quality (even with the "quality" of MP3s) is **** poor. It's saving graces are the AWESOME 3.2MP camera, and the good call quality. But, I hate that it calls people. Damn touch screen...

If you want a "Bluetooth" alternative, there are various ways of doing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts