Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I can start a build thread here but didn't see anywhere else to put it.

I'm the proud owner of a totalled 2000 CR-V. The car was flipped last week but still runs and drives, just not legally. So my plan instead if scrapping or parting out is to cut the roof off(among other parts) install a roll cage(for obvious reasons) lift it and put some big mud grips on it. This will be an extremely cheap build as it's just a toy. I have very little mechanic experience compared to some here hence the journal. Hopefully I can get some help from some fellow CR-V-ers and hope y'all enjoy me tearing this apart and putting it back together. My first question is how do I post pictures on the mobile site? I can access my gallery but everythings grey and won't let me click on them

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
1st up welcome to the site.

Yes people have build threads here and they are allowed.

There is a thread on here with a pic of exactly what you want to do. No info is given, just a member saying they wanted to build something like the pic but never came back.

Please keep us updated and post some pics of it and the progress when you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome man. I actually found this forum when I googled something and that thresd popped up haha. I wish I could upload some pictures the only thing I've done is got the windshield out and started getting all the wires ran back below the door panels before the big chop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes! I figured out the photos. Lost my iPhone in the crash and this cheap new one is ridiculous haha

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn dude. You beefed it. Maybe just part it out and use the money for beer!
It's just a flesh wound haha. The misses slid on ice into a ditch bank combo. I was riding shotgun and we are both totally fine thanks to seatbelts. Not too many people in Arkansas are searching for an engine with 220,000 miles or stock Honda rims so I may as well make it my ongoing project

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you state that you don't have the mechanical knowledge/experience (and I assume tools) You may be in too deep and might get frustrated and dump a ton of money quickly. SO, if you have a few budds that are knowledgeable that are into "THE CAUSE", that helps a LOT.

If it were me, I'd unplug all electrical and plumbing from the drive-train, drop the front/rear suspension from the body and set it off to the side.
Gut interior (toss or sell if you can) to get at/pull whole harness and or lights etc of what you may want to keep/use. Like fuel tank/lines/ABS etc
(you're not going to need wiring to windows-defrost-wipers etc for a buggy) Pull doors/hatch/hood and fenders for scrap/sale.
Get a cheap saw-zall (and about 3 dozen GOOD blades and cut the roof and front windshield out. Get it to where it's basically a dash and back to a floor pan. Flip over on a few 55gal drums, and take all measurements to the attaching points of suspension.
Transfer those dims to paper and build yourself a 2x3" M/S tubing frame to replicate those attaching points, and place fram over the suspension that was pulled (should bolt right on if you did it right ..or close..) Then flip back over, And then start trim down the floor pan to just what's needed to fit on frame/suspension/cooling/peddle assy etc. And put wiring back in and connected up. (You might go insane trying to strip down a whole body and engine harness for a "stand alone" operational harness)
That way you can always change things like instead of rear wiper, you now have 12v power for rear LED's, or higher current like a winch etc..

Roll the body over and start to design/fab your seating (SAFETY first!!) and accessories now that you have a rolling chassis.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Just a flat 'buggy' that you can add a cage to as you go. Pretty daunting for a novice, but hey, If you don't have other priorities and live at home with Mom/Dad (and have the room where things won't get moved..) Then this would be a GREAT intro for you.
It will NEVER be like a full size Jeep SJ or other 4wd, but you'll have a blast just tearing up the fields.

There isn't much in the line of 'venting' until you get higher on the trans, so you can make it to go fording through some streams/waterways. You can even cut the exhaust flange off, flip it over, reweld it back and have the exhaust go up and over the cab! (just have to lengthen the 02 sensor wiring.

GO FOR IT MAN.. Whatcha sittin there fer?

What part of Arkansas? I'm just under Memphis..

E

·
Registered
13 Posts
OH, and the only thing I'd keep the air cond for is to re-route the lines to the back and make a fridge/cooler for Beverages/fish bait etc..

E

·
Registered
244 Posts
Get your buddies together, get a bunch of beer, get a saw,welder, plasma cutter, pipe mandrel and pipe.
I would build a full roll cage and some exo caging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's just a flesh wound haha. The misses slid on ice into a ditch bank combo. I was riding shotgun and we are both totally fine thanks to seatbelts. Not too many people in Arkansas are searching for an engine with 220,000 miles or stock Honda rims so I may as well make it my ongoing project
That sounds and looks like a pretty close call. Glad you're still with us. I hope you have some fun with it, and you'll learn a couple of things in the process too no doubt. Keep us posted!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts