Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 EXL and have discovered that the driver's seat is upholstered in a different way than the passenger seat. When I dropped my phone between the driver's seat and the console, I saw the unfinished edges of leather along the front corner and side of the seat next to the console. It looks as if Honda forgot to sew a section of fabric and then attach it under the frame of the seat.

I took it back to the dealer and was told that they had never noticed that before and that there was nothing that could be done. They speculated that it was due to the electric functions of the seat. NOT!

I checked another EXL that was on the showroom floor and it also had this defect; however, the Pilot, the Odyssey, and the Accord did not have this problem. All three of those seats had a plastic edging all the way round the bottom of the seat and fully sewn upholstery.

Honda: Why did you neglect this aspect of the driver's seat of the EXL??? $28,000+ should buy a carefully upholstered driver's seat as that is the most used seat in a vehicle!!! This is very disappointing and now I am concerned about other shortcuts you may have taken in the construction of this car.

·
Registered
336 Posts
that area of the seat is the least of your worries. The side bolster on the bottom cushion looks like it's not going to hold up for very long and I'm only at 8,000kms. I've seen an Mercedes ML with 110,000 kms and that same portion of the side bolster still looks flawless. Honda uses cheap leather plain and simple. In hind sight, I would much rather have cloth seats because they wear better and doesn't look like crap after a few thousand kms.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just noticed that "defect" today when I accidentally dropped a marker between the seat and the storage bin. I must say that is totally unacceptable for a $28,000 automobile. I guess I should have bought the new Mazda cx-5 instead of the CRV.

Brad

·
Registered
39 Posts
The foam is disentegrating and falling on the carpet below in our '08 EX so you know what is in store for you later. Dealer and Honda will not acknowledge the problem. Very disappointing. We chose not to buy a 2012 because the build quality appears to be declining.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is disappointing to hear. I've contacted Honda and will let folks know what they have to say about this poor workmanship/cost-cutting measure/whatever they want to call it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The foam is disentegrating and falling on the carpet below in our '08 EX so you know what is in store for you later. Dealer and Honda will not acknowledge the problem. Very disappointing. We chose not to buy a 2012 because the build quality appears to be declining.
That is really nothing new with Honda leather seats. The Ridgelines and the Accords have similar issues with premature wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:mad:SEAT UPDATE: Well, a regional manager from American Honda called me this afternoon. Foolishly, I thought that was a good thing. I was wrong.

The response from Honda is ridiculous and I'm BEYOND disappointed and furious. According to this regional manager, the driver's seat construction is the design that Honda has chosen and they will not be altering my vehicle in any way. He did tell me that if I was concerned about the way it is constructed that I could take it to an upholsterer and have them fix it the way I wanted. He had absolutely no answer for why it is only the driver's seat that is constructed this way or why it is on the CR-V and not the Pilot, Odyssey, or Accord.

When I very politely asked that he have his supervisor call me, he informed me that I was speaking to the only person responsible for addressing my concern and that he was unable to have anyone else call me. Even when I told him that I had serious misgivings about buying a Honda due to this "design" and Honda's refusal to "alter" my vehicle, he only said that he would pass along my comments for future designs.

Now I am wondering just how many other items have been shoddily constructed or left unfinished and what kind of issues I will find in the months to come..........I've had this car less than 3 weeks and SERIOUSLY regret switching from GM to Honda.

I'm afraid that Honda's reputation for quality and great customer service is a thing of the past.

If anyone has any constructive advice, I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
^ what were you expecting them to do to remedy your complaint? If you wanted quality leather you should have went with a benz, bmw, audi, etc.

The way Honda America handled it sounds perfectly fine to me. Your seat was built the way it was originally designed to be, why would Honda America make alterations to your car that is different from what is in the blueprints that Honda created?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think quality leather is the point--the point is, why didn't Honda finish the seats in the normal and customary manner--not leaving one side draped down with no attachment or fitment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The quality of the leather is not the problem.

The upholstery is incomplete and apparently the final steps were left out at the factory. The raw edges of the leather are loose and not connected to the underside of the seat frame.

I simply wanted Honda to take a small amount of time and finish the upholstery of the seat. That doesn't seem too much to ask of a $30,000 car. I shouldn't have to buy a Mercedes, etc. to expect finished upholstery.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Honestly; I can understand where you would question it but, it's on the inside of the seat in between the seat and console. Switching from Chevy was the BEST thing you could have done. Talk about cheap craftsmanship. Chevy's got that all stitched up (pun intended). Does the Car function? Are you Happy over all with it? To become so furious over something as trivial as "un-finished" upholstery in an area where it's not even visible is a bit extreme IMO. The car in general is leaps and bounds better than any Chevy product and will be much more reliable and fetch much more on a trade in. I've owned several Chevy cars and each time; they were problematic, cheaply made, and had far more issues than any Japanese made cars I've owned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2009 EXL is exactly the same way and I thought it was just my vehicle. I took it back and they said they could do nothing. I'm waiting for my new 2012 to be built and if it has the same problem, I will not be buying it!!! for $30,000.00 the seat should be finished. That is rediculous. Now I know it's not just me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
IMO, Honda has dropped the ball on quality for a while now. Complaints you hear about now were never heard about it the past. I think the OP has a right to be upset, I would be. So far with my 2011 CRV I've had 2 recalls, my front seat rebuilt due to the frame being broke right from day one, I've got noise from the rear end when I turn, (fluid is fresh), Honda couldn't hear it or find anything of course, the AC thumps hard when turned on, and other aggravating things. Will I buy Honda Again, probably not. I feel let down compared to my old 93 Accord which I've had for 20 years, and my 86 Civic I had back in the day. I've stopped drinking the Honda Kool-aid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure if I'm getting the gist of the original complaint, but the way I read it is this person has no fabric attached to the leather on the passenger side tacked up under the seat ?? If that is the complaint, I just checked mine and it has some fabric attached to the leather and is tacked up under the seat....probably could have been secured better though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I completely agree that the quality just isn't there anymore. I wish I had never bought this thing, the seats are the absolute minimum they had to install so your butt doesn't drag on the carpet - they would have been a lot happier to have not supplied seats at all or maybe made them an option! I have 2000 km on this thing and I have bought my last Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the market for a vehicle like the 2012 CR-V. I road tested the CRV. Nothing spectacular. Generally nice all over. I questioned the seats. Seem to be less than what one would accept as a good ride. I'm comparing to my 2009 Accord Coupe which has very good seats. After reading these seat posts it's cured me of buying the vehicle. I ride from NE to AZ each year. The seats better be good!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You could see if the National Transportation Safety Board gets involved with quality issues. You could file a complaint. There is an arbitration process that you can participate in, the info should have been included in your warranty brochure. You could also get in touch with your State Attorney Generals Office. If enough people file complaints, someone will listen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Didn't want to drag this thread back from the dead but...

I am having similar issues with my 2010 EX 30,000 miles (cloth seats). The raised ridge on the drivers seat (door side) is deteriorated very badly and the car is only 3 years old. The foam is clearly crumbling underneath the fabric, and now the fabric is very loose. Needless to say it looks terrible. Guess not much I can do but I find it kind of ridiculous how this happens on a vehicle with so few miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts