Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2016 Honda CR-V SR. The problem I have is an infuriating squeaking noise coming from somewhere in the centre arm rest/ console. To be honest it driving me gradually insane. Does anyone else have a similar problem or does anyone know how to cure it.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
Have you tried any WD40 on the moving components?

Does the noise occur when you have your arm/elbow rest on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Tried wd40 this afternoon. No result as yet but might need time to soak in. Doesn’t seem to make any difference whether I am resting my arm on armrest or not. Really annoying. The constant squeaking and drumming is driving me crazy. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,567 Posts
The squeaking curse of plastic! There is no one fix, you will have to figure out where the squeak is coming from and then apply some fix. On mine the little wimpy rubber bumpers on the lid had deformed and were not functioning as bumpers anymore. I replace them with little sticky backed bumpers from Office Depot, the kind used on the bottom of obects to keep them from scratching table tops. I also made use of the soft side of some velcro inside the console lid to restrict the side to side shifting of the lid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The squeaking curse of plastic! There is no one fix, you will have to figure out where the squeak is coming from and then apply some fix. On mine the little wimpy rubber bumpers on the lid had deformed and were not functioning as bumpers anymore. I replace them with little sticky backed bumpers from Office Depot, the kind used on the bottom of obects to keep them from scratching table tops. I also made use of the soft side of some velcro inside the console lid to restrict the side to side shifting of the lid.
Thanks. Will give that a try. Did it work for you ? To be honest I think the whole console is cheap and plasticy. This is my 4th Honda and although it’s a cracking car you shouldn’t have to start putting sticky tape and Velcro to resolve problems like this. Cheers.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,567 Posts
Yes, the lid isn't squeaking and fits tighter. You just need to get a flashlight and see how the lid fits down on the console, then apply some good old American ingenuity

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
You could try the nuclear option of disassembling the console/armrest and see if that makes a difference.

Drop me a PM. If you are close by, I'd be happy to stop by and check it out.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,136 Posts
I wouldn't use WD-40 on anything plastic.

Instead, use an aerosol Silicone Spray.

If the squeak is caused by upholstery rubbing against stuff, try talcum powder. Wipe it on, then wipe off the excess. That allows the rubbing items to be silent while they do their thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 2019 CRV. I'm fairly sure that is is a crack in the plastic frame of the console armrest pad that is making the creaking noise in my car, but haven't been (quite) frustrated enough to do any exploratory surgery yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The noise was driving me insane as well and I ended up putting some WD40 on several spots. I has stopped since (some weeks now) and not returned. It started after some higher Temperaturdates here in Australia so I guess that some of the plastics 'moved'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.