Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the king of Prussia area of the PA Turnpike, a deer decided to jump the median and I was driving on the left side. Hit the deer mid air. My 17 EXL didn’t stand a chance. Luckily my family and I were all ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,266 Posts
oh dear. so sorry. but truly happy you all are ok. sound like the deer didn't make it. my brother's tundra was hit from behind by a 2013 ford escape. airbags deploys and fluid leaking in front - total loss for them. $3000 damage to my brother's truck.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Hope all are Okay and doing well. Time to hear what all will say. I am sure they will simply total the car and replace with a new one? The question is are you going to think about another company and model is simply get the same?

Man they can sure do damage those Buck How many points was it?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
At least you guys were all ok.
I hate driving down there, always a ton of deer . Some around here but way more down south.
Wife always has to take the car down to king of prussia for work, luckily she is getting an equinox for work !

If they total it are you going to get another ex-L?

If it wasnt through insurance i’d say i have headlight set and front bumper trim in my basement

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I hit a deer - VERY SLIGHTLY - in Feb with our '16 Pilot.

$5,000 when it was all over and we traded it for our CR-V Touring.

That looks like a total to me after our little incident.

Happy everyone was OK.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Glad you and yours are ok... I've known people killed by deer; they are no joke.

On another note, I wonder why the airbags went off? I would not have thought the mass of a deer would be enough to trigger them.

As far as repair goes, you might be surprised. My wife's Solara sustained a similar amount of damage, and it was totally repairable, although she didn't have the airbags go off; that'll add a couple grand right there.

The high level of the strike makes frame damage unlikely. It needs a hood and fender (obviously) radiator, condenser, supports, intercooler, battery, airbox, bumper cover, bumper beam, headlight, foglight, radiator fan, grille, airbags and dash trim. It sounds like a lot, but given how early on in the car's life it is, it may be worth it to the insurance co. to repair.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So on the king of Prussia area of the PA Turnpike, a deer decided to jump the median and I was driving on the left side. Hit the deer mid air. My 17 EXL didn’t stand a chance. Luckily my family and I were all ok

Glad you're ok. Feel bad for the deer though. Kinda scary there was that much damage.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,140 Posts
Ouch. Glad you were able to keep control of you car. That was a scary incident.
A lot of obvious damage. If you have sensing that’s more expense on top of the airbags.
Please let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Glad you and yours are ok... I've known people killed by deer; they are no joke.

On another note, I wonder why the airbags went off? I would not have thought the mass of a deer would be enough to trigger them.

As far as repair goes, you might be surprised. My wife's Solara sustained a similar amount of damage, and it was totally repairable, although she didn't have the airbags go off; that'll add a couple grand right there.

The high level of the strike makes frame damage unlikely. It needs a hood and fender (obviously) radiator, condenser, supports, intercooler, battery, airbox, bumper cover, bumper beam, headlight, foglight, radiator fan, grille, airbags and dash trim. It sounds like a lot, but given how early on in the car's life it is, it may be worth it to the insurance co. to repair.

Maybe because the deer hit the bumper and car though it was an impact?
My buddy hit a deer a few years ago but it clipped hood and was higher and windshield but no airbags deployed, they are the worst impacts since everyone is diff (usualy more blood)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,864 Posts
Glad you're ok. Feel bad for the deer though. Kinda scary there was that much damage.
I also share the sentiment of the others, glad that everyone is ok!

Well, they say the front end is designed to absorb some of the impact helping to protect the occupants in the cabin, which results in more obvious damage up front.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It doesn't look too bad. I'd guess the insurance company would opt to repair but there could be extra expense with a new radar. I wonder if a Honda dealer would need to do the radar calibration/alignment.

Thank goodness it wasn't a moose or elk as they tend to fly over the hood and into the cabin.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news but glad to hear your all safe.

Once all the damage bits are stripped away it may not be as bad as it seems. A new bonnet and bumper are easy to install and not super expensive. As rocky said the air bags and lkas system may be the most expensive parts.

It's also interesting that the windscreen did not break! Some posts made it seem like it was a delicate flower.

Rob

·
Registered
653 Posts
Did all your airbags deploy? A neighbor driving her brand new (6 week old) Ford Focus got a glazing sideswipe on the Interstate. All the airbags activated and it was totaled--with relatively minor damage from the contact. Bizarre.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hit the deer doing 65. It was an average sized female. Only the two front airbags went off. I’ll update you guys on what the insurance company decides to do. The car handled very well and I would consider another CRV. It protected my family well. Another driver stated that had it been a Buck, it could’ve been a lot worse. The engine dropped slightly from the hit. Tons of smoke through the vents after the hit. Had I not turned off the car, I think it would have surely caught fire.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The engine dropped slightly from the hit. Tons of smoke through the vents after the hit. Had I not turned off the car, I think it would have surely caught fire.

Sorry to say but I think it's toast if the chassis started folding downward.

Rob

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.