Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 98 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
First 125 miles from the dealership averaged 35.7mpg hand calculated. The second tank was my wife's commute for the week in DC on the 495 from Annandale to Rockvill, MD each day along with errands. 29.9MPG for that tank.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
First 125 miles from the dealership averaged 35.7mpg hand calculated. The second tank was my wife's commute for the week in DC on the 495 from Annandale to Rockvill, MD each day along with errands. 29.9MPG for that tank.
35.7 is impressive. :cool: I take it that the fuel tank was full when you left the dealer and you topped it back up at 125 miles to get that number? The next tank at 29.9 with some mixed driving sounds pretty good too.

I have the EX-L AWD my first tank was 25 mpg two highway trips with the rest city. My 2008 EX AWD averaged 22 over the nearly 10 years I had it. I kept it in ECON mode for my first tank I took it out of that mode for my second tank I'm curious what the difference will be if any. I live in OH and it is winter so I'm looking for to see what spring and summer brings.

35.7 is impressive. :cool: I take it that the fuel tank was full when you left the dealer and you topped it back up at 125 miles to get that number? The next tank at 29.9 with some mixed driving sounds pretty good too.
Yeah, I left the dealership and drove to a gas station to make sure the car was full. That 125 miles was from Harrisburg PA to Annandale, VA and I filled up at a gas station by the house. I wanted to see what a pure highway number would look like.

I was pretty happy with the 29.9 mpg too when you consider just how much time my wife spends parked on the freeway. Her commute is really why I was looking at the Chevy Volt (too small, but great car) and the Rav 4 Hybrid (boring).

Car: 2017 CR-V Touring AWD
And Driver: 165 LBS
State: California
Temperature: 40-45 F

First Fill Up: Original Factory Gas Tank
Octane: Unknwon
MPG: 30.0
City 15%
Highway 85%
Cargo: 0 LBS
Throttle: Light

Second Fill Up
Octane: Chevron 91
MPG 30.3
City 5%
Highway 95%
Cargo: 40 LBS
Throttle: Light

Third Fill Up
MPG: 28.5
City 35%
Highway 65%
Throttle: Light / Medium

Fourth Fill Up
MPG: 29.0, Current Gas Tank Half Full
City 20%, with some Idling Around Too
Highway 80%
Throttle: Medium

I feel like I can get 35MPG easily on the highway if I wanted to. But who knows!

My MPG seems to be much lower than the ones listed here. I'm on my 3rd tank and I'm averaging just under 25mpg. I don't drive crazy, pretty conservatively actually. I've had it on Econ here and there. I'd say 2/3 Hwy, 1/3 city with temps in the 20's-40's. Any ideas? I had assumed it was the 'break in period' but that doesn't seem to be the case with the numbers I see in this thread...

My MPG seems to be much lower than the ones listed here. I'm on my 3rd tank and I'm averaging just under 25mpg. I don't drive crazy, pretty conservatively actually. I've had it on Econ here and there. I'd say 2/3 Hwy, 1/3 city with temps in the 20's-40's. Any ideas? I had assumed it was the 'break in period' but that doesn't seem to be the case with the numbers I see in this thread...
What octane are you using? Cargo? AC? Throttle input? I think even the area you're in may use different gas quality than where I am. There are too many parameters.

87 reg, no cargo, upstate NY. I'm just wondering if there could be something wrong with the car that would effect the gas mileage so much, something I should take it back to the dealer for?

I do start it in the morning with the remote start and let it run the whole 10 min before I leave in the morning, could this account for the poor mpg?

I'll be filling up sometime this weekend, I won't use the remote start during this tank to see if my numbers go up. Thanks!

87 reg, no cargo, upstate NY. I'm just wondering if there could be something wrong with the car that would effect the gas mileage so much, something I should take it back to the dealer for?
I highly highly doubt it, i think your car is fine and other variables are affecting it. Winter in NY alone could mean different gas, cold weather conditions can effect it, etc. Besides, I'm on 91 and you're on 87. Maybe if I do 87 and was in NY using the same gas you're using I would get the same MPG as you. Enjoy your gorgeous lava red car.

Here is my question concerning grades of fuel in a 2017 CR-V with the 1.5 Turbo engine.

How can you prove that 91 octane fuel generates more HP that 87 octane fuel? I'm looking for something other than "my car gets better mileage". I'm asking for empirical data.

Also, even if it did/does cause increased power and fuel economy, how does that work out in $/mile considering 91 Octane (mid grade fuel) costs more?

Not arguing, just wanting to know........................

I just got my '17 and have not had a chance to check how higher octane fuel might change the mileage. I did run tests on other cars over the years and found that on some there was a very slight increase in mileage, but it was not near enough to offset the higher cost of the fuel. I did a very detailed study on this on one of the vehicles as part of one of the automotive classes I was teaching. We wanted to prove if the stories of "High Test" gas really was "better". It is not, its just different and you don't normally don't benefit from it on an engine control system programed for 87 octane fuel.

Now if someone would offer observations (yess I will take "my car gets better mileage" on this question) concerning REAL gasoline vs gas with alcohol, I bet we would then see a measurable increase in MPG and seat of the pants feel of added powder. Alcohol does not have as much energy as pure gasoline.

BUT the price per mile is probably higher for REAL gas even though the MPG may be higher.

Just saying.................

21 - 40 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.