Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I recently acquired a 2018 Honda CR-V with 9k miles. I am feeling some hesitation from a stop putting car in reverse. Car hesitates a bit before moving. I am wondering i have a bad engine mount. I tried the engine mount test. Put car in drive, left foot on brake and right foot giving gas. See my video I will upload. Seems like the engine is moving much more than it should. I went to dealer, they said all engine mounts are fine. Anyone else having a similar issue. I know 4gen CRVs had engine mount TSBs

Cesar67

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
turn the Engine on and foot on brake never said give gas that is how they check it by some

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Hi Everyone

I recently acquired a 2018 Honda CR-V with 9k miles. I am feeling some hesitation from a stop putting car in reverse. Car hesitates a bit before moving. I am wondering i have a bad engine mount. I tried the engine mount test. Put car in drive, left foot on brake and right foot giving gas. See my video I will upload. Seems like the engine is moving much more than it should. I went to dealer, they said all engine mounts are fine. Anyone else having a similar issue. I know 4gen CRVs had engine mount TSBs

Cesar67

Not sure why you think an engine mount issue would cause the vehicle to hesitate in reverse.

I don't recall any customer posts on NHTSA site about engine mount issues in the gen5 CRVs. Random defects though, are always a possibility.

In my view....the vehicle is still under factory warranty.. so take it to a dealer and have the actual problem symptoms evaluated and resolved.... rather then bringing it to them with your predetermination as to what to look at (engine mounts).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer noticed the hesitation on reverse but they said it is transmission shifting gears and normal operation. I don't buy it.

I just want to understand if other Gen5 owners are seeing hesitation on reverse or engine movement like video. If others have this then maybe this normal operation. If i am only one then i will continue to find a resolution.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Your mounts are fine.

I know that if I instantly put the car in Reverse after starting it, there's a lag, but I imagine the ECU wants to make sure that things are stable before putting the car in gear.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Engine mount and hesitation going in reverse are NEVER related. Why internet is bad (people spreading bad information).

Hesitation going into reverse first thing to start the day is normal for any transmission to a point. Can't just start the engine and instantly throw it in reverse and go. Have to give it a couple seconds for fluid to flow and computer to get info from sensors saying it's good to go.

If you have another car, go test drive another CRV that has sat overnight. The dealership saying it's normal is very possibly correct. Especially with modern CVT transmissions that have heavy computer involvement in their function.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for helpful replies. I am starting to agree that the mounts are fine given that all agree that engine movement in video is normal. I agree with the suggestions to test drive another 2018 CRV to confirm if i feel hesitations.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Hesitation going into reverse first thing to start the day is normal for any transmission to a point. Can't just start the engine and instantly throw it in reverse and go. Have to give it a couple seconds for fluid to flow and computer to get info from sensors saying it's good to go.

If you have another car, go test drive another CRV that has sat overnight. The dealership saying it's normal is very possibly correct. Especially with modern CVT transmissions that have heavy computer involvement in their function.
Excellent points.

In my view, this is especially true with these modern CVTs and the engines they are mated to. Multiple variables are all being controlled electronically at once, and a cold engine is going to be going through a number of transitions in the electronic controls, so it makes complete sense the CVT is as well, and I would not expect them to be fully normal in operation immediately on starting a cold engine.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Excellent points.

In my view, this is especially true with these modern CVTs and the engines they are mated to. Multiple variables are all being controlled electronically at once, and a cold engine is going to be going through a number of transitions in the electronic controls, so it makes complete sense the CVT is as well, and I would not expect them to be fully normal in operation immediately on starting a cold engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think all automatic transmissions, especially CVTs and some dual clutch transmissions, have some degree of hesitation when going from one gear to another. I wouldn’t worry about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree. Mounts look fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone

Cesar67
Yes, mine 2017 crv hesitates , maybe 3-4 sec. before it finally starts to pull in reverse...Weird, not used to that../ must be normal....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts