Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Possibly a little premature but I shall be looking to change my car before the end of the year and the CRV Hybrid is in my short list as a replacement. I’m hoping to gain a little understanding of the model and any pitfalls that I may encounter should I decide to purchase.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
Hi all.

Possibly a little premature but I shall be looking to change my car before the end of the year and the CRV Hybrid is in my short list as a replacement. I’m hoping to gain a little understanding of the model and any pitfalls that I may encounter should I decide to purchase.
Welcome!

First thing I would ask - why Hybrid? Why not petrol?

Both the petrol 1.5T (which I have) and the 2.0 Hybrid that many others here on this site have, are bullet proof machines that will last forever.

The only pitfall, if there is one, is if you go with a lower/lowest spec model, and then wish you had features of the higher spec's. For that reason alone, I would suggest you look higher up the spec-range and see what floats your boat!

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tyre noise
Thanks for that, ‘CRV4575’. I could live with that and I have watched loads of road tests on Youtube which lead me to think I would enjoy the way it drives.

The only concern I have so far are the reports, from the USA particularly, about oil dilution on the 1.5 litre engine. Realistically, another contender on my short list is its obvious competitor, the RAV4 and Toyota’s reliability is second to none - a 5-year warranty being testimony to that reputation. If the oil dilution problem has been resolved and is now no longer an issue, then I am otherwise sufficiently confident in Honda’s engineering to overlook the less than generous warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why Hybrid? Why not petrol?
Thanks for the welcome, ’TheDarkKnight’, and I think I’d prefer the clever tech and easy, relaxed driving experience of the hybrid plus the fuel economy without really trying.
I’m used to having all the gadgets and gizmos in my cars along with the state of the art safety kit so I will most certainly be looking at the range topping model.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
The only concern I have so far are the reports, from the USA particularly, about oil dilution on the 1.5 litre engine.
I can assure you, for UK buyers, its NOT an issue. The 5th Gen CR-V launched in the Uk in Q3 2018 with just the 1.5T engine, a higher powered variant found from the Civic, which itself has the 1.5T since late 2016.

There are NO oil dilution issues any more. Not in the USA, and definitely not here. The only oil dilution issues on the 1.5T engine occured in the Civic, not CR-V which had that engine later, much later.

I would also add that before coming to the 1.5T CR-V, my last car was a 1.5T Civic. The Civic gave me NO issues.

And this far, the 1.5T CR-V has been more of the same - 1 million percent flawless.

Realistically, another contender on my short list is its obvious competitor, the RAV4 and Toyota’s reliability is second to none
Notwithstanding the nonsense printed by motoring journo's, Toyota's reliability is far more patchy than Honda's. About the only solid performer they have is the Yaris.

I think I’d prefer the clever tech and easy, relaxed driving experience of the hybrid plus the fuel economy without really trying.
Thats another thing. Hybrids, by definition, are NOT designed to be efficient. They are designed to lower emissions. Fuel efficiency, as a result of that emissions, is the by-product.

Naturally, you will get very high MPG from the Hybrid, as my good colleagues here will attest, but the reality is that Hybrids are not "Diesel 2.0".

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
Thank you for your assurance and for your views.
Glad to help.

Unless I've been looking in the wrong places, I have yet to see or hear of an oil dilution issue on a UK CR-V. There might be the odd case out there, but I suspect actual occurence(s) are hideously low.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, ’TheDarkKnight’, and I think I’d prefer the clever tech and easy, relaxed driving experience of the hybrid plus the fuel economy without really trying.
I’m used to having all the gadgets and gizmos in my cars along with the state of the art safety kit so I will most certainly be looking at the range topping model.
I bought the top spec as I wanted all the gadgets
I am happy with my hybrid also I have read all the technical information about the drivetrain etc
I do not fully understand how it works but I think it is better than the toyota hybrid system all I know is I like it and the Dark Night likes his
And that is the only thing that really matters

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like it
Thank you, ‘CRV4575’, for that vote of confidence in the Hybrid.

My head is spinning from watching video after video of both the CRV and the RAV 4 plus reading every review that I can find.

Much as I like the Honda, at this moment I’m leaning towards the RAV4 but It’s going to come down to a test drive in each before I make a decision. That won’t happen for several months due to the ongoing restrictions and I’m in no hurry anyway as I enjoy my present car.

A lot can happen over the space of the next few months but I may decide to go down the road of PCP for the first time rather than pay cash up front as I have always done since the 1990s. Much will depend on the various deals on offer when the time comes.

I hope you continue to enjoy the Hybrid.

·
Registered
568 Posts
we didn't try the Rav4 for 2 reasons
it has got a black headliinng and the passenger seat hasn't got height adjustment
even with a full moonroof the corrolla was like sitting in a darken room and looking a letterbox it had a very small windscreen
I have been trying hybrids for a least 2 years and driving my wife mad

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
If you go down the PCP route, you can bet your bottom dollar the RAV4 will have a lower GFV and a higher balloon payment at the end of the term.

Also, when you do get around to test driving both, you will quickly discover how cheap, scratchy and nasty the RAV4 interior is. It really is awful for a car that commands a start price of £32k or more.

The CR-V is leagues above it. And considering its the inside where you sit, the CR-V, 1.5T or Hybrid, absolutely clobbers the RAV4 dead beat.

Reactions: CRV4575
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.