Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. I just traded my 2019 EX for an EX-L. The dealer said the height at which the liftgate stops can be adjusted. The owners manual also says it can be adjusted but doesn't say how. (I want it to stop as high as possible so I stop hitting my head.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most likely at delivery it is at max height, but to adjust it:

To program:
1. Open the tailgate to the desired position.
If you want to reprogram the power
tailgate to open all the way, manually
raise the tailgate to its upper most
position and follow the next step.
2. Press and hold the tailgate inner button
until you hear short two beeps following
one long buzzer.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
421 Posts
I have mine set so it does not hit garage door when opened. When out shopping, I let it open to the setting for the garage and then push it manually up the rest of the way. When I first bought my car, I banged my head a couple of times while in the garage.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
in person it is easy to do, the dealer sales person was to show you?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. The slick talking guy @ the dealership said "tochangethetailgatemumblemumbleandupfrontyoucan...". I'd been @ the dealer for 4 hours, it was in the 90s and I thought I'd figure it out later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have mine set so it does not hit garage door when opened. When out shopping, I let it open to the setting for the garage and then push it manually up the rest of the way.
Will this in any way hurt the motor? We just set the height of my wife's (soon to be daughters) CR-V tailgate to not hit the garage door. Before I tell the girls to just "manually open it the rest of the way" I thought I should double check...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Will this in any way hurt the motor? We just set the height of my wife's (soon to be daughters) CR-V tailgate to not hit the garage door. Before I tell the girls to just "manually open it the rest of the way" I thought I should double check...
It won't hurt the motor. Here's the program instructions from P. 157 of 2018 Owners Manual:

1. Open the tailgate to the desired position. If you want to reprogram the power tailgate to open all the way, manually raise the tailgate to its upper most position and follow the next step.
2. Press and hold the tailgate inner button until you hear short two beeps following one long buzzer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,620 Posts
Hey, all. I just traded my 2019 EX for an EX-L. The dealer said the height at which the liftgate stops can be adjusted. The owners manual also says it can be adjusted but doesn't say how. (I want it to stop as high as possible so I stop hitting my head.)

Thanks.
Jim256 covered it well above.

Make sure you download a copy of the full manual from Honda. You can also request a printed copy of the full manual for free in the first 30 days after you take ownership.. if you prefer paper.

The paper manual they include with the car is abbreviated and hence some things are not documented or not documented well.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,620 Posts
The electric tail gate motor appear to be pretty well bullet proof to user induced harm. About the only way you can harm the motors is if you try to open/close manually while the motor is doing the opening/closing.

Note also: If you electric tailgate open/closed too many times in short succession.. the CRV will temporarily inhibit the motor from working (about 5 minutes in my experience). You can still open/close manually until the motor is reactivate. This is probably to prevent the motor from overheating.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figured this out. You can manually open the liftgate if you hold the release button (on the outside of the liftgate) for more than 1 second. Hold that until it unlatches then manually push it up to whatever position you want. Once it's there, hold the "close" button (on the bottom inside of the liftgate, next to the inside assist handle) until it beeps twice. After that, when you open it any way besides manually, it will stop wherever you set it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Jim256 covered it well above.

Make sure you download a copy of the full manual from Honda. You can also request a printed copy of the full manual for free in the first 30 days after you take ownership.. if you prefer paper.

The paper manual they include with the car is abbreviated and hence some things are not documented or not documented well.
After purchasing a new CRV, you have 6 months to order a printed copy of the Owners Manual. No time limit on downloading the manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts